Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Some public statements from DigitalFoundry on the various system reservations related to Series S and PS5. This is the first public statement I’ve seen on PS5 ( 12.5 GB ).

4 Likes

That’s interesting, I guess since the memory usage is not set it could end up being more than just an extra 0.5 memory at most. I do wonder if it could be possible to do the same with Series X as well.

What Remains of Edith Finch: PS5/Xbox Series X/S at 4K 60FPS - But What’s Up With Series S?

1 Like

Roadmap for UE 5.1 has been put up, large focus on shader compilation to address stutters on PC that plague so many games.

5 Likes

Marvel’s Spider Man Remastered PC - DF Tech Review - Graphics Breakdown, Optimised Settings + More!

:eyes:

2 Likes

Unfortunately you can’t get identical settings on PC.

Optimised settings are on the page in an easy-to-digest table, but ultimately, we’re looking at a variation of PlayStation 5’s performance RT mode. It’s not possible to match settings precisely, however, and I do wish that console equivalent presets were available to tweak from. Let’s put it this way: the crowd LOD setting in the performance RT mode does not correspond to any of PC’s offerings. Clearly, Insomniac made its selections carefully with a view to balancing cost vs fidelity, so why not offer PC users that setting?

That’s awesome. Considering how much UE3 and UE4 improved during the last two generations respectively, I’m excited to see how UE5 develops this gen.

I know what you’re doing by posting that screenshot and some context should be added that this is a shot of the ray tracing of max quality on PC. The PS5 version setting matches the high setting on PC, versus very high that we see in your shot. None of this should be surprising considering PC GPUs can have more than 3x the ray tracing performance than we see on consoles.

For reference, here’s a PC comparison showing very high versus high setting.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks for the context. :+1: :smiley:

Apple Silicon Face-Off: M1 Ultra vs M1 Max vx RTX 3090… And Much More!

1 Like

A deeper look at the discovery process to Lumen:

3 Likes

1 Like

Tl;dr:

• all modes across everything is unlocked framerate.
  • visual quality is matched across XSX and PS5. No dynamic res.
  • Series S matches 1080p high framerate mode, but with lower shadows. Hovers around 30-50 fps. 60 fps interiors, but rare.
  • PS5 has generally a 3-6 framerate advantage over XSX across all modes other than 4K where they match or XSX may have a very slight edge. 4K runs around 40 fps.
  • 1080p high framerate is most stable. Recommends 1440p high framerate for balance of visuals and framerate.
2 Likes

So be honest, did you post that because you actually thought a technical discussion could be had from it or did you only post it because it makes the PS5 look bad?

I imagine he posted it because it seems like the game isn’t ready yet on ps5. A valid discussion.

2 Likes

Isn’t this the technical analysis/comparison thread?

Madden is a pretty major release so it seems relevant.

Unless there’s something else I’m missing here

4 Likes

I assume it’s the case of string of “bad news for Sony” post by the same user. No offense, but not the user’s fault for Sony getting short end of the stick last week. You win some, you lose some.

2 Likes

After watching this, I’m far less excited for the game. It looks so unpolished on multiple levels.

This is the technical analysis and comparison thread…Right?

1 Like

Imo you should include some form of your own contribution to engage a discussion, unless the content is a link to a DF/IGN/whatever analysis video. A snippet from a review isn’t the same as visual reference

1 Like