Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Been trying to catch up on all the channels I follow and there are some great videos.

Iā€™ve really been enjoying Evil Dead so far. Itā€™s interesting that they are shooting for the same resolution, albeit with some lower settings, on the Series S. I wish there was a mode on the Series X that unlocks the frame rate so there could be a good comparison on how the two compare. In theory, the frame rate should be more than twice as fast on the Series X. I also hope they add a frame rate cap to the Series S version. Itā€™s always at or above 30fps and that would be more preferable than an unlocked frame rate IMO.

Not sure if Nick has ever been posted before but I thought this was a great video. I wish I was able to be at home because this is something Iā€™ve wanted to do for the longest time now. Really shows the progress made since that infamous demo.

Speaking of progress, itā€™s good to see they are still working on the GTA collection. Not sure if itā€™s worth a purchase yet but at least itā€™s better than the mess we saw at launch.

4 Likes

the Halo comparison video is really good. The fidelity and polish increased greatly at retail, but Iā€™d be lying if I said there werenā€™t some aspects of 2020 I did like the look of more. Overall an improvement though, especially in foliage, pop-in polish and material shading.

Ughh, finally; Iā€™m a GTA sucker so I bought the Definitive Edition day one (had some extra rewards), but immediately put it down after seeing how unplayable 3 was during any rain scenes (which is pretty much the first hour unless you get lucky with the weather post-intro).

PlayStation Plus PS1/PS2/PSP Classic Games Emulators Tested - And Theyā€™re Not Good Enough

Edit:

(Xbox One/Series) Standalone PCSX2 Emulator!!! (PS2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xyj1ifxd0

Awesome!

4 Likes

Sony need to fix this and put more effort, this is unacceptable. smh!

9 Likes

Who knew Xbox Series S is the best back compatibility for PSOne.

1 Like

DF Article on the emulation is available @ Sony's new PlayStation Plus classic games emulators simply aren't good enough | Eurogamer.net

This week, Sony has started rolling out the new PlayStation Plus service with its various tiers including classic games such as PlayStation 1, 2 and PSP titles. Thus far, however, the service is only available in Asian territories. Thankfully, with help from backers of the DF Supporter Program, we have access and have spent time with Sonyā€™s official emulation for the original PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and PSP. Consider this a preview of sorts as it may not reflect the experience of UK/EU/US gamers, but it is our first insight into the nuts and bolts of the emulation - and there are clearly major issues the platform holder has to address.

1 Like

Does the games load faster? If so, how fast?

Iā€™m absolutely gob smacked at the 50 to 60 fix they thought up. :man_facepalming:t3: Iā€™m sure to those that donā€™t really care itā€™s fine, but to me, it would basically be unplayable,

3 Likes

The classic stuff was going to be the only reason I even considered upgrading my PS+, but with what we have seen so far and learning that if I already owned games on the PS3 I get them once they are added to PS5ā€¦I think my decision has been made for me.

Meanwhile, DuckStation on my Series consoles rules.

1 Like
1 Like

Tldr resolution is 1656p lowest on xsx and 1440p lowest on ps5. Solid frame rate for both consoles.

6 Likes

To add to this, the Series S ranges from 864p to 1440p, rarely hitting the top end and typically hovering around 1080p. Unfortunately it does not run that well. Based on how it runs with the foliage scene or during xray shots, Iā€™m wondering if the memory bandwidth is the most limiting factor with this game.

Iā€™m beginning to think that you should always leave some room for extra performance for those ā€œlazyā€ developers.

1 Like

I think they probably just didnā€™t put as much time into the optimization, as we saw with Dying Light 2, once the game was out they had time to patch it for better performance.

Problem with that approach is that lazy developers arenā€™t really a thing. The end result is usually from time, budgets, resources, system capabilities, etc. and rarely because a developer didnā€™t try.

Yeah Iā€™m hoping we see some good improvements in future updates. Rebellion has a great track record for support and considering how good it runs on the SX/PS5, itā€™d be great to see similar performance on the Series S.

2 Likes

The power consumption figures indicated that even on the X the game isnā€™t pushing the hardware.

6 Likes

Professional calibrator and GamingTech together.

https://youtu.be/3CLuP9BuITo

So they mention how barely any games really take any advantage of the HDR setup thingy on the consoles. I did not know this. Thatā€™s bad, really bad. We are several years since HDR in gaming started but itā€™s not being taken seriously enough.

1 Like

Thats not surprising. HDR system calibration came way later than the first HDR games in 2016.

On top of that we have still games with total unintelligible HDR settings. These games have no use for the values from system calibration.

4 Likes