Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Yeah, after reading these tweets, he really should’ve just stayed quiet. Doesn’t seem very objective.

2 Likes

Most of this happened.

But i don’t think he said that Phil paid to downgrade (even as a humor )

I think someone tweeted at him in this instance saying that Phil must have paid Ubisoft off or something but also a point regarding the performance. John was responding to the latter half of the tweet if I recall correctly, but I still thought it was a bit tasteless to signal boost that conspiracy even if unintentional.

2 Likes

Yeah.

He shouldn’t have urged to delete the game.

He went too far and result was obvious.

1 Like

Twitter is a cespool of fanboysm, but he did flame console wars indeed. This is what I take issue, bunch of these guys say how they hate fanboys and yada, yada, but they dont let an opportunity slip to trigger them on twitter. He is not the only one with this behavior.

6 Likes

That’s his point :stuck_out_tongue: Since there’s no issues on BL3 either the tools already started improving or devs managed their way around the GDK to perform a little better.

Though given how the game runs on X, SX should be pretty close if not completely locked at 4k60, specially at Xbone/X settings.

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

The X and Pro versions were based on the respective console versions just pushing the resolution higher. This is now the same for next gen.

Dunno why they made it so, AFAIK is the only game that has different settings between base ps4 and xbone and never upgraded on X.

1 Like

It seems like Series S is the better performing console by maintaining a better framerate out of the three, so like PS4 Pro last gen, you better be playing all your third parties on it. /s

Of course not !! Play games on the console you like the best. It’s so crazy how we continue to compare those machines and pick indvidual frame to make a point. The point is that they offer pretty similar performance for the price right now.

I liked the Borderlands 3 video from Thomas. All DF videos should be like that, or with that same level of discussion.

Edit : there was differences last gen so that was interesting to see. But now, I’m not seeing the point of these videos outside of resolution, DRS boundaries and hodling the framerate (and PS5 and Xbox have similar results).

2 Likes

I’ve been away because Lakers Free Agency talk in another forum. Seems like alot of stuff happened here when I was gone. Why did DF think PS5 version was downgraded and how was it proven that it was not? All this console war is getting crazy. Seems like even the “beloved” DF is not immune to taking part.

It was John, he agreed with a tweet that is downgraded before actually checking out the game for himself. They released a video 2 days later stating that it was actually the same.

1 Like

He should know better. Why the heck is he flaming the console warriors? I’m beginning to think some of the people that surround the gaming industry like fanboys and journalist are the most immature people in the world.

To whoever it may concern: State of Decay 2’s next-gen version is also XDK / Durango / Gen9Aware.

Basically every first-party next-gen port was made on XDK: Sea of Thieves, State of Decay, Halo MCC…

Gears 5 is one of the only one using GDK and is probably the most impressive port of them all. When the studios start getting the hang of the new dev kit the games will look even more amazing!

6 Likes

How do you know that SOD 2 next gen upgrade is using the old XDK?

By going into the File Info and checking the App Model. Every game can be checked that way

Oh wow. Didn’t know that. Will check that out once I get the Series X in a few weeks.

1 Like

TL:DR

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2275x1280. PS5 in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.

The scene at 0:46 was where the lowest resolution was found and this scene seems to render at a higher average resolution on PS5 in Performance Mode than Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. However, in other scenes the PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a similar resolution in Performance Mode, and in some cases the Xbox Series X can render at a higher resolution than PS5.

PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode use a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series S in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 1280x720. Xbox Series S in Perforamnce Mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 1920x1080 when rendering natively below this resolution.

The only resolution found on PS5 in Quality Mode was 3840x2160.

Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 3328x1872. Drops in resolution below 3840x2160 on Xbox Series X in Quality Mode seem to be uncommon.

Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series S in Quality Mode uses a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 2560x1440 when rendering natively below this resolution.

In short the game rarely drops from 4K on Series X Quality mode but you absolutely know people will not care about that.

1 Like

That’s Immortals, right? That game should look real nice and crispy then. It will be months before I even get to buy it, but it does look good.

1 Like

I mean the game engine is exactly the same as in ACV and the results are almost identical. I’m not totally shocked. I’d also say that again like ACV we do not know which console is performing better since whilst they have found a lower bound on Series X we do not know whether they’ve just missed a similar lower point on PS5. And they also note that in points Series X renders at a higher res than PS5. My guess here is that the difference between the two are so utterly minor it becomes meaningless.

The 30FPS mode in this game appears broken according to some who had early access they say the shadows look worse than the 60FPS mode and the game runs poorly at 30 apparently…