Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Yes, but also depends if the game has dynamic resolution scaling and unlocked framerate or an upper 60fps lock. These might help the ps5 mitigate the differences, if not you might see people running about on social media saying Series X runs better, would be funny even if it’s not technically true.

Hang on here. Valhalla runs better on the SX now. Yet all people want to talk about is a slightly lower resolution bound that barely is ever in play anyway.

How are you defining runs better? Because the definition seems to shift immediately to suit whatever situation the PS5 finds itself in.

1 Like

Generally speaking, running better would mean, better or more consistent framerates at the same or higher resolution and quality settings. (or higher average dynamic resolution)

The lower fps bound on the Series X is temporary solution, until the devs find the solution for the dip. Average resolution tells a more complete story anyways, the lower bound just tells DF that there is an issue at that section.

Once an initial impression is formed it is hard to erase it, in this case Valhalla running slightly better on the ps5. It will take a few games running consistently better on Series X for people to take notice of Series X’s power superiority. When Xbox games start performing to their full hardware potential there will be no shifting of these definitions to suit PS. Numbers don’t lie lol.

1 Like

There should be no doubt about Cyberpunk at all. It’s a cross gen game, it’s via BC. Witcher 3 on One X was better too. It’s true about next year though. But I expect the patch won’t be anytime soon, hopefully by then all the problems are gone and XSX is going full steam ahead. But when the DF analysis this year comes it should be Xbox One X and XSX taking the lead.

1 Like

I just can’t wait till the XSX gets on it’s feet and starts to out perform the rest so we can then move on to the next issue with the XSX that will come up soon as that happens, any ideas what will be next after the performance is fixed, I feel it will be Xbox has no games again. /s :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

1 hour Ori and the will of the wisps video incoming! :grimacing:

1 Like

:eyes:

One hour😅

Cyberpunk really depends on what they were using during development.

If they were using the XDK using Gen 9 Aware, there’s a good chance the Series X version is best (depending on the resolution of course. We saw that PS5 backcompat ran some games better due to using CB 4K/1440P as opposed to full 4K on One X). We’ve seen Gen 9 Aware titles like Star Wars Squadrons and Ori that have amazing results on Series X because they are using the XDK with Gen 9 aware.

HOWEVER, if CDPR was using the GDK to develop the One, One X, and Series X versions simultaniously, well then… There is no guarentee that the Series X backcompat version runs best. We saw the One X versions of Valhalla and Legion actually be outperformed by the PS4 Pro versions due to the tearing, GDK quirks and other reasons.

So some people need to prepare themselves mentally that 2077 MIGHT not go in One X/Series X favor due to the GDK.

Watch dogs was a complete match on SX and PS5. We still don’t really know whether Valhalla was outperformed or not really since we don’t know whether the DRS was a match frame by frame or not.

Everything there is to know about Borderlands 3’s new PS5 and Xbox Series X support. Hitting 4K and 60 frames per second is the priority for Gearbox’s efforts here, though the premium consoles also feature an ambitious 120Hz mode. How do they all hold up in performance stakes - and can Series S match up in with its 1440p visuals?

1 Like

In short

Series S is the best 60fps version at 1440p with a lower bound of 1100ish.

Series X bests PS5 in 120fps and they are generally tied at 60fps.

1 Like

The seriesX performs a little more inline with expectations in boarderlands 3 a 10-20fps fps advantage. This new gen comparisons are certainly a rollercoaster.

2 Likes

Can anyone who has Borderlands 3 tell me if you look on file info is it GDK or XDK for Xbox? I have it but it’s not installed to check…

I would assume its using GDK because it has legacy settings from the 1S/X version. Which I think will start to be not a problem when the xbox one family is dropped.

You mean it is or isn’t using the new GDK?

Series S walks into the room…

“I am your 60fps frame-rate Lord and Master now! Your frame-graphs will kneel before me! The £250 box!”

:grinning:

1 Like

I would assume the GDK because the series consoles inherit some settings from the x1 family.

It is GDK, Gen9 and Scarlett. The full next-gen package.

Ok good. Which suggests the performance issues are either being dealt with or something devs are working their way around.