Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

That’s all I use. That or few silly comment to post but nothing like insulting or toxic. But yeah, news feed is all I need.

Fair enough :slightly_smiling_face:

[quote=“TavishHill, post:5499, topic:5015”]

Instead of whining about other posters prior to asking for more info, do it the other way around to avoid making a fool of yourself in the interim

[/quote]

Insults as well? my… you are so patronising. You don’t know any more than the rest of us why Psychonauts 2 wasn’t covered by another member of the DF team. You ‘just’ assume it wasn’t covered because in ‘your opinion’ it didn’t look good. I’m sure DF actually praised how good it looked in their Game of the Year vid and there have been plenty of games covered by DF that don’t actually push the graphical envelope and just make great use of Unreal 4 like Ace Combat

I told you already why DF didn’t cover it. In fact, we went through this same idiotic, fanboy driven nonsense in this thread when the game released. And for months thereafter. You do not know about their decision making. That had to be pointed out to you by others. You were more invested in conjuring up a conspiracy theory than you were to bother reading the thread or honestly inquiring about the topic. Please stop imagining you have magical insight into their decision making when you aren’t even keeping up with what they explain publicly and what was already beaten to death in this thread.

And yes, I will absolutely call you out for acting stupid when you behave that way, as will others. This isn’t a thread for your fanboy conspiracy theories. If you want to talk about game tech, do that. Fanboy conspiracy theories don’t belong in this thread.

4 Likes

Huh? I told you what John said. So did others. We know why DF didn’t cover the game. John explained it already. We do not need to guess. Why are you still fighting this fight 5 months later? It’s pathetic and entirely off topic. Let it go.

Also stop feigning victimhood. If you don’t want others to judge what you are saying as stupid, don’t make wild claims about the secret agenda and hidden motives of DF without any evidence at all. Claims are not opinions. Claims require evidence to be discussed and taken seriously. You have shown more emotional investment in pushing a conspiracy theory based on your own hurt feelings than the effort it would take to simply learn the facts of the matter and update your understanding.

1 Like

Tip: When you can’t stop fighting with other members or the moderation team about your DF conspiracy theory the solution isn’t to keep arguing until you get banned.

3 Likes

This is now the “Games Analysis Thread” because otherwise, it’s the DF argument thread. Keep it to actual analysis about games or it will be closed.

7 Likes

Two good videos over the last couple days.

Really awesome look back at the Splatterhouse series. As a horror movie/game fan, I always found the series fascinating even if I didn’t have much time with it myself.

They also cover the PSVR2 specs reveal. The specs look really awesome, I just hope it supports PC and the price is right. I’ve always wanted to get into PC VR gaming but there just doesn’t seem to be a “right” headset out there. Oculus is associated to Facebook, so that’s an automatic no. The Reverb G2 is probably the most attractive option, but I’ve heard it has issues with tracking and that would annoy the hell out of me. The Valve index is too expensive and requires too much setup and so on. For someone that just wants a quality VR headset that’s simple to use and of a high enough quality, it’s just not there if you want to avoid Facebook. So I really hope Sony supports PC here. Even on the PS5, it should produce awesome experiences and we know they’ll be higher budgeted titles than what we mostly see on PC. The possibility of having Half Life Alyx, along with other games like RE8 and other new titles would be really attractive. Really looking forward to finding out more this year.

1 Like

I’m no VR expert, but from the description of the kit it sounds like a pretty expensive setup. A lot more so that PSVR1 was. So unless Sony really take a hit on price I can’t see this being low cost. Anything I’ve read predicting a reasonable price for this is more wishful thinking than logic based.

I’m hoping for no more than $500 and think that’s doable because Sony can take the razor/blade business model with the headset like they do with the consoles where they eat some cost on the hardware and make up profits long term with the software. We already know they are investing in VR games and they will want this to sell, so trying to appeal to the console market with a price higher than that would be nearly impossible IMO. IF it is more than $500, they will have to support the PC market with the device as well since PC gamers would be more likely to pay up those higher prices.

It’ll be interesting to see how it works out because the headset is looking really impressive.

I’ve had youtube on auto-play today and this video loaded up:

This got me thinking of more BC coverage. I’ve already covered BC comparison in some of my videos and have done larger collection videos seen here:

But was wondering if people would be interested in more videos looking at games running on BC but covering every Xbox system out there. I didn’t have a Xbox One/S when I made my previous videos but do now. So would anyone find it interesting to see games compared between 360, One S, One X, Series S, and Series X?

I’m on a waiting list for a high quality HDMI adapter for my OG xbox and hope that allows me to capture high enough quality footage to run through frame rate analysis, it’s just going to be a while before I move through that list.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Well well…this is interesting.

4 Likes

No suggestions at the moment, but I’d definitely give those a watch, so go for it!

1 Like

Sweet

Any behind the scenes videos or coverage of the process used for analysis? You know, a making of the sausage video.

2 Likes

Really cool to see them continuing to leverage ML to improve existing techniques. I do think it’s interesting how they call it super resolution when at the end of the day it’s super sampling. Maybe the former is just easier for people to understand?

You mean on what I do when putting a video together? I never thought anyone would consider that interesting lol. It would probably contain shaky cell phone footage, but I’m sure I can cook something up. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I love splatterhouse so much. What a great video.

1 Like

I think super sampling is typically just used for AA and not so much in-surface cleanup. DSR can help with those in-surface pixel distributions and help keep thin geometry from vanishing in the scaled image too. Also, it being dynamic means straight super sampling might yield tons of jaggies which makes the approach basically useless. Dynamic scaling yields more aliasing by virtue of trying to squeeze rectangles of one size down into rectangular patches of another size, which tends to result in thin geo vanishing. Apparently DSR accounts for that in how it performs the downsampling.

1 Like

That Foxy tweet is odd, I wonder what PS5 games these are then, too. And the bit about the engine was made with PS5 in mind, things are easier to implement. That even remotely true?

That one is a Twitter clown, he doesn’t even comprehend what’s a game engine. XD

That said, both Tim Sweeney and Sony are petty enough to do a move like this, lol, but I find it unlikely, mostly because development is on pc 90% of the time and then games are ported to consoles.

3 Likes