Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Here we go again!

In summary, the patch is a good one for Xbox Series consoles and while compromises have been made, the pay-off is worthwhile. For Series X, it may now be running at a significantly lower resolution than PlayStation 5 in stress points, but the frequency of the off-putting screen-tearing is massively reduced. Worries that PS5 may now be running slower seem to be mostly unfounded, but widening the DRS window there may have also improved the overall experience for the Sony console, just as it does on Series X. Remember - resolution only drops in order to sustain 60fps, otherwise it’ll run at whatever pixel count the GPU can manage. Meanwhile, the option of 60fps gaming on Series S is a good one, but the very low resolution may be off-putting. Overall, there’s progress here, and it’ll be fascinating to see where Ubisoft goes next with further optimisations - but we’d also like to see further bug fixes: the camera stutter issue that affected Xbox Series X still hasn’t been addressed.

2 Likes

Hopefully all these re do’s, patches and different results each time cause people to move on and focus on the games themselves. This whole meta console score keeping game people play on forums is just a side effect of toxic fanboyism.

Some gamers need to get into sports or something instead of pitting one console against each other.

1 Like

Alex speculates lowering the dynamic resolution scaling minimum target is likely just a quick fix, until the issues get properly dealt with.

All in all, it’s a good enough fix for now. The resolution lowering a bit more at 0.01 percentile moments of the game is imperceptible and won’t impact on the experience outside placebo. A steadier framerate and less tearing, however, is a big upgrade.

2 Likes

So DF say they should lower the PS5 resolution bound too in order to improve performance. Yet internet ignores that…hilarious. Aren’t these consoles all said and done performing exactly the same - it’s just that for some reason the tearing which is now far reduced on Xbox compared to PS5 just seems to happen more noticeably which I think is down to Xbox using the same DRS as on PC which is kicking in too late in the frame buffer so tearing is more obvious. My bet is that performance wise the two are identical.

It’s exactly that: A quick fix, but it is the right one to make. The game has just been released, so I doubt Ubisoft has had the time to really go in and resolve the issues. However, you are undoubtedly having a better experience with this patch than before.

3 Likes

That’s all everyone wanted to know. This is the only thing that will be mentioned in media.

So, now then, we must ask why Xbox decided to do a media deal with Ubisoft when after all is done, it’s kinda like taking an arrow to the knee.

1 Like

Strange that after extensively hammering the point that resolution didn’t matter when SX was outputting twice or over the amount of pixels in BC comparisons, but the more stable framerate was preferable, now a much lower resolution gap is seen as significant and more framerate drops are seen as positive compared to the lower resolution.

Good to take note of that in future analysis.

2 Likes

For the time being it’s a fine fix but I honestly look forward to a time where these analysis videos just tell us that XSX is taking the lead, or at least isn’t having lower resolution, no matter how little it might happen or not. It just shouldn’t. But we know why it’s happening, and with that in mind it’s probably quite impressive what they manage to get done.

Good video, but it’s pretty darn sad that even in the video they’ve got to keep asking people to stop harassing them on Twitter. :frowning:

1 Like

What’s happening on tweeter between?

First, asked for uninstall the game and then later in the video called it a false alarm.

This whole situation is just awkward :confused:

It’s odd though. Wasn’t it said a few days ago that ACV was significantly worse on PS5 now and that it was probably a bug according to DF? Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good thing it isn’t as bad as people thought, but for a day or two it seemed to be the worse version now.

720p on the Series S. Lord, have mercy.

This whole game has been an embarrassment for MS. Just best to move on and hope the tools improve from here on out.

1 Like

I see resolution matters again. Why does no one call out the 1440p resolution on ps5, which still tears heavily? Isn’t that embarrassing for a 2020 500$ console as well? When Xbox One X was doing 4k games back in 2017? What would be an acceptable performance that is not embarrassing ?

1 Like

Looks at YouTube comments.

Yep.

1 Like

60fps on $300 console on an open world game in what is a bunch of unoptomized batch of Ubisoft games doesnt seem bad.

1 Like

The sooner developers can utilize DirectML and go with 1080p natively upscaled to 4K while saving the resources for 60FPS, HDR and Ray Tracing, that’s when everything will be so much better.

As for Valhalla, I don’t know why Ubisoft (and other companies) use dynamic resolution instead of just lowering it and having it fixed for the entire game. This way it doesn’t fluctuate.

By the time I play Valhalla, it should be perfect. lol.

hmmm look like XSX version become worse, this is just easy fix and UBI don’t know anything about XSX Hardware and what cause the problems in the first place.

They initially reported that the patch made the PS5 version worse, but after further analysis concluded that that the PS5 is basically the same as before.

2 Likes

The problem even in 1440P XSX can’t hold framerates.

720p is 4x less than 1440p, but with higher framerates than ps5.

Honestly, no next gen console is performing well in this game but SS is the best of the bunch given its targets (it also stays at 1080p most of the time while the big boys almost never hit that).

SX and Ps5 are running at resolutions below X (which apparently stays at 1800p and above most of the time) and struggling to keep the framerate doubled. So nothing to brag about in either showing