Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Why is no one getting on Housemarqe’s/Sony case for saying this game Returnal would be 4k 60fps with Ray tracing?

Talk about false advertising

It’s a 1080P rendered game with several layers of tricks to get it to 4k involving upsampling AND checkerboard, reminds me of the Aaron Greenburg meme that people railed on him for for 8 years when he said all games would output to 1080P.

The Ray tracing is not even the traditional visible lighting Ray tracing that gamers would assume they meant when they said it had Ray tracing

the 60 FPS is pretty variable and it drops quite a bit.

The 3 major points they advertised about this games specs before release are pretty much smoke and mirrors and lies yet you don’t have much up roar over it.

14 Likes

Well at this point having the Playstation brand on the game grant some devs a free pass in some outlets. Was this game a Series one, it would get beaten for these technical choices. It is not new, it is a fact now and won’t stop happening any time soon.

And for the records, I believe Returnal is a good game, something that I definitely would play if I had a PS5, before ppl starting saying this is console warring or a conspiracy theory.

Anyways, something I learned last gen, and it is valid for any platform, is always temper your expectations when developers talk about their games before showing. For my experiences I had way more disappointments on technical side than confirmations of what was previously told about a game.

1 Like

I agree with the 4K claim. Some developers are really reaching with what qualifies as 4K lately.

1 Like

Because for some media outlets Sony can’t do no wrong, but if Returnal was an Xbox exclusive…Oh boy! the countless of articles that would have been written and many reviews scores would have been affected by the shortcomings of the game, IMO!

5 Likes

Seems that increased geometry and RT reflections seem to be the most significant generational improvement.

i would not get worked up too much about 4k labels. A lot of games have “Ultra 4k” listed in the Xbox store like The Medium and are far from this resolution :woman_shrugging:

• Don’t care about Returnal but I do think the game itself looks great.

• Resident Evil VIII is going to be awesome and while I would have preferred a 1440p 60FPS HDR with Ray Tracing mode, it’s still day one regardless.

• Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is the second most impressive current gen only game I have seen thus far with only Black Myth Wukong being ahead of it for me. Super hyped for Ratchet which is the only platformer series I have any interest in. Let’s go!!! :joy:

It’s really not false advertising to say Returnal is 4k.

It is 4k. The 4k is delivered by the compute from the game engine.

Although the image quality could be up for debate.

But to what you may compare it to? The game runs on PS5 only in a single mode.

Nothing to compare it with. So it is 4k :sweat_smile:

Where is RE:VIII demo analysis for series X?

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

I think when you say something is 4k you expect the image quality that comes with that. That’s the whole point of it being 4k.

This is what I said yesterday. I am sorry, it is false advertising when after all the techniques the developer used and the end result is the image barely looks 1440p quality never mind 4K. It is not particularly controversial to say that when even Alex, who loves the game, says he is not a fan of the image quality.

By the way, I think the image quality is serviceable enough due to the contrast of the game and that it is targeting 60fps, but don’t try and beat your chest prior to release that it is 4K/60fps when it is just isn’t.

A rift apart confirms to me that the visual leap of this gen will be the smallest ever. However the jumps in A.i and npc realism should be rather good.

I expect games this gen wont look much better then the UE5 demo.

Or metro exodus RT Gi combined with UE5/QUIXEL demos levels of environmental detail and geometry.

Hopefully by the end of the gen most games have every light source with realtime Gi with multiple bounces.

How can you be sure it’s not 4k?

How will you prove it? I mentioned the problem already. The game is only on PS5 with single mode.

Do not have any other mode or version to compare with.

Can’t challenge on the front of 4k.

But IQ can be up for debate. I never said it’s fair. But not false either.

You may say Sony’s 4k is bad but Can’t say it’s not 4k.

Bad 4k😅

Im not talking about a lawsuit or anything, just that it is disingenuous to say its 4k when its rendered internally at 1080p.

You also need to keep in mind that so far, next-gen games have been targeting 60fps as well, so everything has to be processed twice as fast. But yeah, the things in that UE demo, Epic has a good inkling where future trends are heading, and that demo it was all about geometric detail and GI.

The latest Ratchet gameplay seemed like a huge graphical downgrade from the June showing to me, to be honest. If there was any kind of ray-tracing in the June demo, it’s completely gone now. And the racing section is much much slower than what was shown in the trailer.

Still, without a benchmark nothing can be said. Having whatever internal resolution is not the fair point and I agree. But the game on its entirety is Exclusive to PS5. So nothing can be said.

Soon Series X will have ML upsampling. The output will always be 4k with a lower internal resolution.

Its obvious that the term 4k can’t be debated any more. IQ can be.

Dusk’s cred wrt RE is not debatable at this point. lol

1 Like

Tell that to the other Era mods xd

He is the single most credible person wrt RE online anywhere probably. Ppl at other forums can imagine he is lying all they want. Won’t change anything when the game is native 4k on XSX. We might even find that out with the demo tonight. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I spoke too soon it seems, as the game is CBR 4k on XSX too. Ah well. lol