Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Of course, though to be honest, watching the video on my TV and a normal gaming distance the IQ is not terrible, it is on the softer side, and surfaces with high specularity does have a distracting shimmer, but I think the art style of the game aligns well with the reconstruction.

Xbox has extra instructions that speed up int math, so in theory could run a ML based reconstruction. According to Alex from DF, he heard that the solution Ms is coocking matches DLSS in capabilities (it can offer a 4x multiplier) and results (the reconstructed image can look potentially better than a native one). So in a scenario like that the game running in 1080p could be reconstructed directly to 4k in one step with less temporal artifacts, retaining the finer detail etcā€¦

But thatā€™s not available to developers at this point so itā€™s all guess work.

Ah so they are not using the super resolution, probably only that upscale + sharpening thingy.

Didnā€™t he mention this on the last DF Direct? I cannot remember but they did talk about DLSS and AMD briefly.

From what I understand, there is nothing really stopping the Xbox from having a DLSS type solution because we know it has support for Int 4 & 8, it is just that it was added to the shader cores while Nivdia dedicated silicon specifically for the task. I therefore can see the solution Microsoft is cooking up will be able to match DLSS on a subjective basis, I just donā€™t think it will be as performant due to the function being on the shader cores.

Yeah, itā€™s all about R&D, how much resources ms puts on it will dictate how good their solution is compared to nvidias.

And in the end, the extra hardware is just for performance, and that goes all the way through PS5 gpu too, it should be able to run the same models, just slower than even the SX, itā€™s just a matter of how much time it will take from each gpu to perform it and if itā€™s worth given the savings, otherwise other cheaper tech will be used.

Another thing to consider. A solution as good as DLSS was needed for PC gaming where players usually play a lot closer from the screen, while console is usually played from a TV from a bit afar. So in the end, SX having a better reconstruction solution might not matter that much.

Returnal for example is a good showcase for this. I first watched on the monitor and was a bit dazzled on how much they praised the IQ because it was a bit on the bad side.

Then I put the video on the TV, and while you can tell right away itā€™s not a native game, and there are still some artifacts that end up breaking the IQ in some parts, it does look good enough.

This is not what I was referring to or trying to discussšŸ˜…

My point was to acknowledge that with having the game on PC, Xbox ( the games of xbox ) have a potential to look there best without any compromise.

Take Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox one X at launch, the game could only run 1080p 60 on one X. But anyone with a PC had a chance to play it 4k 60 on launch.

This will imply to every game which Xbox make now and beyond.

On PlayStation side, the game will be compromised in one way or the other.

Hence, Xbox has better in this regard.

Ah, thatā€™s a good point. And not only that, the proximity with PC development and the platform work Ms is doing means that even on console eventually when thereā€™s a stronger one you should reap the benefits immediately.

For example a game like Gears 5 even before patch, it was tuned to use dynamic resolution and then only reconstruct when the resolution dropped from 4K, so on SX it would already run it at native 4k or at least reconstructing from a higher resolution even without the developer touching the game.

Or even Forza 7 that on Pc they were testing even to adjust the game settings dynamically and not just the resolution based on the system performanceā€¦ All this stuff created for the need to support a wide range of hardware on PC helps make the game scalable on console as well.

Brace yourselves. The Resident Evil 8 comparisons are coming.

Dusk Golemā€™s credibility is at stake here. If the Series X version is indeed native 4K, he was right.

2 Likes

I would say the opposite no? If SX is limited to the same settings/setup as the PS5 than thatā€™s an evidence he was right

1 Like

Could be, if Capcom went for parity.

Curious to see how the Series consoles compare and how One X compares to the PS4 Pro, the difference in resolution between the previous RE Engine powered games and RE8 is quite big on the One X. IIRC every game before RE8 run at the 1440p-1620p ballpark and this one runs at 1080p. I am expecting 1:1 parity to be honest with maybe a difference again in the AA solution (like REmake 2/3).

3 Likes

I am expecting the situation to be similar to what Avengers was.

I canā€™t ascribe the same praise to Returnal 's visual makeup, and the more I have played it, the more Iā€™ve wondered whether Housemarque had originally planned this game for PlayStation 4 instead. Enemies look cheap and plasticky up close, and tight zooms on Seleneā€™s in-game face, typically behind an astronaut helmet, are remarkably gaudy. Landscapes donā€™t teem with wind-swept plant life or other tiny, dense details. And while the gameā€™s official site mentions ā€œray tracing,ā€ I have yet to see any particular in-game proof that either its reflections, shadows, or other lighting pipelines actually benefit from a next-gen light-bounce system. Instead, Iā€™ve seen particularly unattractive reflections on some waterfalls and lakes, and absolutely no dynamic light bounces on others.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021ā€¦cade-combat-has-never-felt-this-epic-or-hard/

Its turning out my initial thoughts were correct, it seems housemarque used all the extra power of the PS5 for more particle effects. Character model, environments, lighting and iq look last gen. Not great for a full priced next gen AAA game.

4 Likes

Arenā€™t they contractually obligated for parity, if the leak was genuine?

He said it would be native 4K? Interesting. I also recall that last year he said developers were struggling at the time with the PS5 for RE8. Or am I thinking of someone else now?

Pretty much, although we do at least know Microsoft has been looking into this for a number of years judging by their Forza presentation and of course you have them putting ML support into the Xbox and that is for a reason.

I imagine thatā€™s possibly what AMD is toying with because it doesnā€™t sound like they are 100% sure how their super resolution is going to turn out. As you say, there are a lot of techniques out there to upscale a lower resolution and we have come a long way from the days of Quantum Break to now with Ratchet which looks suberb even though it is undoubtedly going to run at 1440p.

So wait, Returnal is 1080p? Am I the only one here that finds that rather disappointing? A freaking PS5 exclusive at that too.

1 Like

No it renders at 1080p and reconstructs itself in 2 phases up to 4K.

Returnal looks quite bad graphically in my opinion.

What he said is that there would be a lot of games that run in native 4K - or closer to it than PS5 - on Series X while PS5 would not be able to run them in 4K and would run them at 1440-1800. This has been the case with Mortal Shell, Avengers, Hitman 3 and some others.

He also said this was the case with Resident Evil 8. We now know the game doesnā€™t reach native 4K on PS5 so we are waiting to see if it does reach native 4K on Series X.

2 Likes