Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Xbox One S upscaled everything to 4k also, lol. This isn’t really all that different. Its just better at it than a dumb upscaler.

Xbox one S is not upsample by the game engine. So that’s totally different.

Returnal does a lot more right than wrong. The game is gorgeous while running great, which is most important. So it’s disappointing to see so much focus on a perceived negative aspect. I’m sure the developers did A/B comparisons on what looks better between the different rendering modes. We’re going to continue seeing more techniques used and developed this gen.

The atmospherics, lighting, and streaming is excellent in this game. Considering the size of the team, it’s impressive what they pulled off.

This completely different. A bilinear scaling from 1080p to 4K is absolutely nothing like a temporal injection or checkerboard technique.

This game isn’t the first to use the final output resolution. Using the final constructed output resolution has been a thing for a long time. Quantum Break was said to be 1080p even though internally it was 720p. With all of the different ways games can reconstruct, be it with a checkerboard, temporal, etc, the native resolution will begin to matter less and less.

1 Like

I agree that it is unfortunate that the base resolution is overshadowing the rest of the game’s technical make-up.

Ultimately the right decision was made in the pursuit of 60fps but I cannot help but feel marketing has made a bit of a rod for the game’s back by proudly boasting the game was 4K/60fps with Ray Tracing when we now know there are caveats to these claims.

Why marketing is being questioned now?

Why not when AC :V was running at sub 1440p?

There is nothing to be complained about here. If you like the game enjoy it. Otherwise … Enjoy other game you like.

It was just like a week ago that we were reading that the game was 4k/60/RT and everyone was discussing how impressive that is. Now we find out that it is not even dynamic 4k, it is never 4k.

It isnt a big deal, but this is a thread about the technical characteristics of games.

4 Likes

The thread is about technical characteristics of games. Then why advertising is being discussed by you here?

There is no doubt it’s running 1080p upsampled.

But advertising isn’t wrong or false here.

Edit: also is there any point in discussing observation of biased media anyway? They don’t do technical analysis. They don’t even understand this stuff. That’s why channels like Enlist and DF exsits.

Whether it is okay to call an upsampled 1080p image 4k is open to interpretation. Why does it bother you so much that people find it weird to call it 4k?

This isn’t even really something that needs to be argued.

1 Like

I just mentioned them because marketing is where we first heard about the game being 4K/60 with ray tracing and I feel they have a large part of this game seeing some ‘controversy’ about those claims. In my opinion if that article didn’t come out last week, I don’t think it would be anywhere near as big of a deal.

1 Like

This would not be an issue if the devs and sony had not boasted about the game being 4k/60fps with RT before launch.

It’s pretty simple, these are the kind of things that sony always gets away with while if any other Dev/Publisher pulled that kind of bait and switch crap with the facts they’d be raked over the colas for lying.

We can debate till the cows come home about the subjective IQ of the game but making false statements about the game before launch should be called out.

As I said before, this isn’t something that just started happening. Gears 5 was once said to be 4K60, did you all have your torches and pitchforks out on that one?

This isn’t a Sony thing, this is an industry wide way many games are described and viewed. This is why I mentioned before about native resolution being less and less important. Plenty of games have used reconstruction techniques and plenty of games have used the final resolution in interviews and marketing.

Seriously, I don’t want to close this thread because some of you want to focus on a negative of a Sony game and beat it like a dead horse. So let’s focus on the tech and not your view of the marketing.

2 Likes

Either that or Sony forced parity.

We already know Sony didn’t force parity. There is another option: they couldn’t get the performance they wanted running at native and had to use a reconstruction technique, just like on PS5. There was a larger gap between the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro with raw performance and RE3 Remake still used reconstruction on both platforms.

You think so? I only seen the June trailer once. That was the other level, daytime level with also the portals and stuff? I didn’t watch the DF video of it, but was there actual raytracing shown in that footage? I thought the city in the recent video looked great, but at the same time I didn’t pay attention for raytracing. Would be a shame if it’s gone. Maybe they will offer modes? RT with lower resolution, maybe 60fps, and a 4K one at perhaps 30fps?

If that’s what is needed for a stable performance, that’s a good cause for sure.

I actually stated the right decision was made in the pursuit of 60fps and I have also previously said I have no issues with reconstruction methods because for one running at 4K is incredibly difficult and second we have come a long way with the methods in that they can produce a very convincing native 4K like image. But in this case the image quality is not convincing in my opinion as to a 4k image, but also in general. It is one of the games less impressive technical aspects along with character models.

I am not bashing it because it is a Sony game, I couldn’t care less. I like the art of the game since it reminds me a bit of HR Geiger and of course the particle effects are really well done and deserve praise and is probably a big reason why it runs at a base resolution of 1080p :wink:.

Anyway, going back to other tech side subjects, I do find it interesting the developers elected to use the ray tracing hardware for their rasterised pipeline and it wouldn’t surprise me if other developers elect to do this in their games.

I find somtimes gaming discussions on the internet are really black and white, it seems to be not about actual discussion but more of a battle to get either a positive narrative or negative one.

Returnal is one of the first true next gen games, What I find odd is people being really happy with the first wave of next gen visuals because the only reference point we have is last gen, and going by last gen standards returnal is not the kind of visual leap that a new generation has shown in the past. The environments and lighting is of gears5 quality, The only thing visually the old gen consoles would struggle with is the amount of particle effects on screen and the number of light sources at the same time.

To put things into perspective imagine if killzone shadowfall looked like killzone 3 but had a higher number of PS4 level particle effects with some emitting light. Or if gears hivebusters was a seriesX exclusive but had returnals level of effects?

This may be explained by diminishing returns, but its nothing to be happy about. I would like to play returnal, however it does not have that next gen excitment.

So, if games start being upscaled from 1080p to 4k using TAA/checkerboarding/DLSS/other techniques on the Series S, does it start being called a 4k box?

5 Likes

Nope, that only works on Sony consoles

4 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

From video description.

• In PS5 and Series X the Ray-Tracing mode is activated by default. In S Series it must be activated.
  • Resolution is identical on PS5 and SeriesX. Both run at 2160p and, although it uses a checkerboard-like technique unique to RE Engine, the game seems to never drop below 2160p. S series runs at 1440p.
  • In the Xbox versions the lighting seems somewhat warmer in the town area. Personally I find it more successful since the PS5 version sometimes gives a too blue tone. In any case, it is a setting that we can easily change on our TVs.
  • Series X performs better than PS5 with Ray-Tracing activated, suffering fewer drops. Higher stress areas will have to be tested in the final version to better see the differences.
  • In Series S, we have an average of 40FPS with the RT activated. I recommend playing without RT in this version, since we will get a practically stable 60FPS.
  • The quality of the Ray-Tracing in global illumination as in reflections is identical.
  • Loading times are slightly faster on PS5, about 3 seconds. Excellent loading times in all 3 versions.
  • Same quality of shadows, textures and anisotropic filtering in the 3 versions.

Looks like the SeriesX takes this one.

3 Likes