Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

The PS5 version could be native 4k but with that Texture filtering in place it looks like 480p and worse then the S version, plain and simple

2 Likes

Damn, Series S is a mean lilā€™ machine.

So why do you hold the PS5 version up to a higher standard than the Series X version?

Again letā€™s not get carried away with the 480p hyperbolic comments. You can discuss the differences without trolling.

2 Likes

No one is trolling, the texture filters on the PS5 version make the whole game look blurry and low res.

Iā€™m loving the 120 FPS mode for EA stuff

3 Likes

I thought it was down to watching that video on my phone that was why the S version was looking better then PS5.

Its a software thing though the PS5 is in the same ballpark as seriesX power wise.

Itā€™s a software issue for sure, but itā€™s true for all versions, not even on xbox they are taking advantage of the new consoles (which seems to be easier to do on xbox for BC games).

Whatā€™s weird is for them to have such a bad AA implementation on the Pro version (that PS5 is basing off) and not on 1S which is the weakest of the bunch and also the one running at lower res.

1 Like

But was that picture last week legit, is it really 720p with fps boost? Because for me thatā€™s a sacrifice waaaaay too big.

Itā€™s not a sacrifice per se, the game was already 720p on xbone. They just didnā€™t updated the resolution.

I do hope we can get some options, a mix of heutchy method + ML upscaling (once this is available) could bring this close to 4k120

1 Like

I think if that was possible they would have done it all at once with this recent update.

So sad they only concentrated on Titanfall 2. Titanfall 1 is a much better game and such a vast improvement in 120fps. Their singleplayer focus is getting really annoying, there is more in gaming than just singleplayer experiences. I like those games too but they are actng like multiplayer games doesnā€™t count. And Titanfall 1 is just so perfect as a multiplayer game. I wish they would have emphasized that more. Especially since it has no resolution drop since itā€™s still the original Xbox One res. And 120fps makes it look sooo much better. Auto HDR is also enabled. Oh well.

But it was 4K on One X, or close to it. Personally I donā€™t count OG Xbox One anymore, thatā€™s ancient history for me :wink:

Their ML solution isnā€™t ready yet, and while they talked about an improved Heutchy method leading up to SX launch (saying that the method is more compatible now with multiple games) they havenā€™t enabled it for any game thus far. So likely thereā€™s a hold up somewhere.

They also demoed Gears Ultimate receiving both a resolution multiplier and a fps boost (going to 4k60 in the campaign and 4k120 in MP) but also havenā€™t released this yet.

Ah, you mean something other than BF4.

In that case, the issue here is that they were not able to lock at 120fps (but it does get really close) in the 1X settings, so they decided, for some very strange reason, to revert to the xbone version for these games when applying the fps boost.

Which works, because the gameā€™s do maintain a perfect lock fps, but itā€™s severely underutilizing the sx hardware. There is a trick to make the fps boost work with the fps boost, but I think they should add that as an explicit choice for the user.

Thanks for reminding me of Gears Ultimate not having been updated yet. Itā€™s super weird that they showed that off over a year ago and yet we still have nothing. I would be super hyped to see that game get a 4K/60fps update.

2 Likes

Yeah absolutely waiting for this one. Thought it looked super awesome last year in 4k60

My theory is that they wanted some platform stuff to be ready and couldnā€™t finish for launch.

For example they talked about BC games have the same performance as the native ones, now we know itā€™s not the case because in BC mode games see the SX gpu as a 12tf gcn and not as rdna2.

So it could be that just there isnā€™t enough performance to upgrade these games as they wanted. But hopefully if thatā€™s the case, they will be able to solve it eventually.

Yep, I meant Titanfall 2 :slight_smile:

FPS boost is a great option, but so far for me most of the time not worth it. In Fallout 4 going back to 1080p while it was 4K on One X and XSX is just not worth it. Maybe if I sit far from my TV if would be, but thatā€™s not the case any longer for me. If they could somehow apply a resolution boost too along with fps boost that would be amazing. But that probably requires to go into the full code of the game and I bet at that point having the actual developer do it instead would be preferable.

I mean more in the sense that even without reverting to xbone version the fps is quite good already (even more so if you consider that most TVs that support 120fhs support VRR), so having the option to enable fps boost and keep the X version would be the best, because at least according to some videos doing the trick to enable both, it does get to 120fps most of the time, just isnā€™t completely locked.

1 Like

Ah right, got ya. Agreed! Letā€™s hope it can get to that because I would be using the option a lot more then. One X versions would be top.