Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Biomutant releases in May and has no ‘next gen’ support at all. Which is a shame as the game looks great.

1 Like

The ones where it defaults to off is where it runs under the OneS path at higher fps, that includes BF1, BF5, SW:BF 2, TF2, U2, FO4, FO76, and PvZ:BFN.

For the ones that go 60fps to 120fps cool but I wouldn’t use most of them if the resolution hit is crazy like TF2 for example.

In F76 and F4 Id happily take the 60fps since its more noticeable coming up from 30fps.

2 Likes

I assume there’s a lot of financial and technical considerations that come into play here. What seems like a no-brainer to us might be an impossible or even impractical hurdle to clear to the team tasked with it. Makes me think of how there were so many people laughing at the idea of devs targeting the Vita in light of the PSN store scare earlier: might just make sense from the other side of the curtain.

1 Like

Yea any new game coming out by a major studio that does not have some series X enhancements goes to the bottom of the pile for me. No excuse to not have something for next gen

1 Like

Locked 60FPS on all platforms.

It is not a next-gen SKU. It runs via backwards compatibility.

10 Likes

Wow Series S looks better then the PS5. BC mode or not Sony made a lot of bad decisions that has lead to PS5 versions of games looking worse. Bottom line PS5 users are getting worse versions of a lot of enhanced games.

Sony fans should have pushed back more on Sony to make things on devs easier for BC modes

Outside of texture filtering, how does the Series S version look better? It’s lower resolution and everything else appears similar enough. The results we see here have nothing to do with the way Sony implemented BC.

It’s kinda baffling to release a game 6 months in the next gen in this state.

They should have at least set proper resolutions when running on the new consoles, like many games did.

In shots like this it does look strangely better on SS despite the lower resolution:

Somehow Ps5 ended up with the same amount of aliasing as SS and a blur filter on top of that making for an worse IQ.

1 Like

Just saw the whole video. Yep, Ps5 has a contant blur filter that just makes everything blurrier, and that somehow doesn’t resolve the aliasing from the SS version… Very weird that they went for this

1 Like

PS5 gets an extra sheep though. Really interesting seeing the differences in those screenshots. I’ll have to watch the video later. I sincerely hope that the PS5 figures out a way to run BC better because it’s kind of a bummer.

Edit: After watching the video, it’s much more pronounced than I expected. The AF bit in the library in particular made me feel like I was using a phoropter (had to look up the name of the device) I also started a bit when I saw the Spanish words for “black book” :sweat_smile:

I dont think they “went for this” on any of the current-gen systems, its just an artifact of last-gen midgen consoles of the OneX and 4Pro.

I meant even on Ps4/Pro if that’s the version Ps5 is basing on. It just looks bad compared to even the lower res forced by xbone.

2 Likes

Xbox Series X has this one in the bag biiiiiiiiig time.

1 Like

@ElPutoXD GET DA LIST.

1 Like

Tired of the excuses being made, the game looks better on the S, all you gotta do is just look at it, even if it is “just” the texture filtering the PS5 version blows so much chunks on that one aspect alone it takes the whole visual look of the game down with it.

In the end to the consumer that is really all the matters. Sony’s past decisions on hardware and the difficulty and hoops to jump through for BC is biting Sony gamers in the ass, simple as that. Sony does not have auto 16X AF on BC titles like Xbox does. Sony does not have an easy SKU system where next gen enhancements can be slip streamed in BC versions of the game quickly like MS does while Sony requires an all new SKU and separate coding for the new SKU.

5 Likes

Just look at the images lol, the S version looks better. There is much more detail to everything, draw distance is better and loading times are 3 times shorter too, not everthing is resolution. Especially when the resolution difference is really not that big, it’s not like the PS5 version is 4K.

2 Likes

The AA is more aggressive on the PS5 version, true, but the aliasing is in no way the same. If you focus in on this one shot, you can claim the SS version looks better, but overall, it’s pretty clear it does not.

This isn’t true at all. It really is just the texture filtering. The IQ is overall better in the PS version, even if it’s a touch softer. Devs also have ways to provide “enhanced BC”, much like we see on Xbox. I won’t claim it’s as easy, but it’s certainly possible. We’ve seen it with Crysis, Cyberpunk, and plenty of 1st party games.

792p to 1080p is a huge jump. Yes loading and filtering is better on the SS, but everything else is better on the PS5. Let’s not get carried away here people.

1 Like

Look at the images, those are 1080p images. The video is 1080p too, and I don’t see any big difference in terms of resolution, especially since the PS5 has much less detail. I wouldn’t sacrifice detail for resolution.

I did look at the images, taken from a compressed video. We’re talking about the difference between a softer image or more aliasing. It’s a pick your poison scenario.