Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Does any of this even really matter?

1 Like

Might not be the best thread for it tbh. But yes, it matters to tech nerds.

2 Likes

There never have been, they all go for the 15 mins of fame and all the clicks that frantic Sony fans give them. You’d figure after a while Sony fans would get tired of hearing lies from Sony insiders but it seems as long as you talk good about Sony they will continue to believe whatever they say.

2 Likes

Where do you think the best place to discuss this is? Because with the release of the PS5 die shot theres quite a bit to talk about (well… at least for me)

1 Like

Maybe the PS5 thread? Not sure if we have a hardware-specific tech thread (ya could make one!). :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

You gave the flashback of the entire previous year.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

cough

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1361335227092729861?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1361335321955340293|twgr^|twcon^s2_&ref_url=

3 Likes

It’s certainly hugely surprising and impressive. I’d just wait to see exact what we end up getting on console though. I’m a cynic perhaps but I’m struggling to see the Series S deliver this at the promised 60FPS. If it does then wow.

1 Like

Keep in mind this won’t use ML and is still a gen 1 next gen approach. Should see more improvements year after year. :slight_smile:

Another wash for Xbox. @ProgStopper summon the list man

3 Likes
2 Likes

The situation changes up for next-gen: PS5 runs the resolution mode at a 1440p, while Series X delivers it at 4K even though both are touted as offering up ultra HD support. Both are equipped with dynamic resolution scaling support but spend most of the time at these top-end limits. The actual visual make-up of the two seems identical by and large - though Series X’s hardware-enforced 16x anisotropic filtering isn’t matched on the Sony machine. Curiously, Series S only has a single mode, and it runs at 1440p30 just like PS5’s resolution mode, putting the pixel count limit on the Sony console into perspective.

1 Like

TeraFlops baby😎

Series S and PS5 are at same dynamic resolution :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Am I missing something or is the Series S version running at the same resolution as the PS5 version on Graphics Mode?

Yeah, Series S runs at 30FPS in 1440p, the same as PS5’s Resolution Mode.

Series X’ Performance Mode runs at 60 FPS in 1440p, a resolution in which PS5 runs at 30 FPS.

That’s wild!

4 Likes

It is. It’s covered more readily in the written article. It seems like the toolset limitations, like the Sony 4Pro-mode doesn’t offer much flexibility where as the Microsoft Xbox Future Compatibility does.

“The notion that Series S’ default mode matches PS5’s resolution mode in image quality is also baffling: there’s just the sense that Microsoft’s cross-generation SDK tools offer up more options to developers and that it isn’t a reflection on system capabilities.”

4 Likes

Wash? Isn’t that a win?

The thing is, isn’t nvidia’s RTX like a blackbox on PC, making it hard to optimize for it while that isn’t the case for consoles (and there therefore AMD’s graphics cards)? This could cause some serious uplift in ray tracing performance in the future.

Not sure tbh. Maybe?

Sounds like The Division 2 also got a PS5 fix! Good on Ubi. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As expected, the bug was only related to the fog and SSR. Resolution and Loading Times stay the same

6 Likes