First Look at the PlayStation 5 User Experience

I think ‘Switcher’ is just one game, and I am not sure if it it works when your console is shut down or powered off for weeks like Quick Resume.

Quick Resume even works after a console update, its essentially always going to be working in the background regardless of the state of your console.

Yeah it’s awesome. I don’t think even PC has this?

I have very mixed thoughts on this. I love the refinement of the boot-up screen, the dictation (although I think Xbox does this too) and the customized time estimates. As someone who needs that info sometimes, it’s a bloody great feature. Also, kudos for making the store part of the UI.

That said, the screen in screen feels cluttered and I have no intent to use, the home menu seems like a step back from the PS3 and Xbox One/Series X which are clean and refined, and locking hints behind a fucking paywall is ridiculous.

All in all, it’s a solid UI albeit one that I need to see more of. It’s certainly more flashy and exciting than Microsoft’s, but Microsoft’s is really functional and parts of this look like a pain in the ass (seriously, where is the list of my fucking games). And if there is no quick resume, that’s a big hit against it.

1 Like

This is a good point. I could see this as a really great value-add to Game Pass Ultimate if Microsoft were to go in that direction. With their resources and manpower, they could probably have a dedicated team that creates videos or partner with TrueAchievements or something. This is why I was interested in seeing the UI/UX for the PS5, it’s not a system seller but it’s cool to think of the possibilities!

Good point, how do you access the game library?

These walk through videos put on by Sony always leaves more questions to be answered.

1 Like

I feel like if they had anything like a quick resume feature they would have shown it. I kept waiting for them to go back to Sackboy after going into destruction all-stars but that said to me we don’t have this feature. There is no reason to at this stage of the game hide it if you have it.

3 Likes

Visually it looks slick, but kind of empty. I don’t need or indeed want the screen estate to be entirely filled, but there’s too much empty space with small tiles. I can see the activities being useful in some cases, and entirely useless in others. There are some interesting ideas there, but I don’t like what we’ve seen of “cards” at all. Snap and PiP could also be useful in certain situations, and I did use snap quite a bit when it was available on Xbox One. However, I have some reservations about the demonstrated smoothness of the experience. If it’s really that smooth all the time, while being light on the resources, I’ll be impressed. The rest I couldn’t care less about.

Overall, it seems like a good UI, although I’m not sold on the game changing potential that some people are convinced of. I expect most of the shown functionality to be of limited use or downright abandoned a year or so into the generation. In that sense (and in some others) it reminds me of the early Xbox One OS, with some cool features that have never really taken hold.

Still laughing that playstation added snap in 2020.

Snap was never inherently a bad idea IMO. Users just weren’t really into it and it slowed down the UI too much to be worthwhile. Maybe Sony will make more use of it this time around. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Exactly

The cards are a cool idea, but I do wonder how long devs will bother supporting them. On the surface it comes across as something devs would need to put a decent amount of extra work into.

Was hoping to see if we can pin stuff finally. Hate that you can pin place on PS4.

Also didn’t notice any folders.

Yeah the cards are intriguing to me. I think there’s a lot of interesting things you could do with the ability to launch directly into different segments or aspects of a game directly from the console UI. But I can also totally see it being like Challenges-- devs barely make any creative use of it, no one cares, and a year from now no one remembers it exists.

I think activities will be mostly utilized by first party developers.

I checked out the UI walkthrough on my OLED TV in 4K, visually it looks clean but the small tiles and the empty space is not very eye pleasing. It looks great on my mobile phone and PC monitor but on a big screen, it looks odd.

1 Like

Yes you’re right, after thinking about it a bit more it would be useful to. Be able to have an app open with a game.

My thing with the cards is they have them spread out horizontal across the bottom half of the screen, which is fine for working with a single title, but when he went into DSA he had to navigate passed all the Sackboy cards to get to the DSA stuff, so it seems to me like with several games there there would be a ton of cards to go through and it just seems like a hassle.

Plus, using levels in Sackboy is just a dumb way to demo that. It’s a level select UI on top of an already existing in-game level select UI. The hell is the point of that? o.0

I get hopping into MP matches real fast, but even that is not gonna work quite like they presented since any games with matchmaking still have to go through that process of finding the lobby, etc, making it not drastically faster than quick resume imho.

My thoughts exactly

If they had quick resume - the video would have shown them switching back to sackboy in the end. I mean why NOT do this? it would only take seconds to show off and it is one of the most wanted features since xbox demonstrated it

Marketing basics - show your strenghts, dont mention your weaknesses

3 Likes

I hope Xbox has or gets a feature where you can have your party watch your game. Would be Bueno

1 Like

God damn, they refuse to show anything about Destruction Allstars! Come on! What a tease! That game seems awesome on paper, let me see it!

About the UI, seems to have most of the same issues I had with the PS4 layout, but most other people liked that one, so whatever.

The activities feel like clutter to me. In the way of having my games organized nicely in a grid library. And an extension of trophies/achievements, which I also hate. I don’t want homework.

But I am glad the store is integrated into the UI now, that was a big problem I had with PS4.

No wonder Sackboy is $70. They made the devs make a video on how to get each not-so-hidden costume in the game lol

1 Like

Challenges are exactly what Cards remind me of, and had the fast loading tech been available then, they might’ve also been similar functionally. I also agree that they might be on a similar path to quick irrelevancy, but we’ll see.

The bigger problem is I really dislike how they’re presented. Can the PS audience really not handle anything more structured and complex than a row of random crap thrown together? It’s absurd, that could quickly become a nightmare to use.

1 Like