First 45mins of Returnal

One way to conclude the Value debate is this.

The 2 scenarios

Returnal is made with a dev team of about 100 people over 2-3yrs and costs $70

or

Returnal is made in 6yrs with the resources of TLOU2, which had approximately 2,169 developers across 14 studios work on the game and it costs $70

Which game would you rather have? And how is the first scenario the same value as the 2nd?

Can you make a new thread to discuss the value or not of games? for those who wish to argue that and not the game maybe.

1 Like

Why? Value is just a relevant a topic as gameplay or visuals in a game thread. Anyway Ive said all I have to say ln the subject, however if someone responds to my posts I will reply.

Because it has become tedious and taken over the thread and you have said your piece.

Also as you say, like gameplay or visuals it is an argument as old as time and one that all parties would never see to eye to eye on on what is worthy or not, so if you wish to continue having that discussion perhaps it would make more sense in its own thread where that could be the crux.
Especially given your assertion value is a simple equation of number of developers versus time. I would assume thats something you would like to continue to discuss.

Thats just me though, I am somewhat interested in the game, and not in what individuals count as having the most “value” as it makes no difference to what I count as valuable. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well thanks for the suggestion, but you’re not a mod are you? Regular posters dont get to order what other posters should discuss just because they find it tedious.

Simply making a suggestion, you seem to be very interested in discussing the larger topic of value though, and seem to think it should have a defined “answer”, simply figured thats something that would suit its own thread and not be buried away in a discussion about a single game.

Wasn’t intending to order anyone about, I’m not even sure the mods themselves do that, just disagreeing.

:smiley:

Thank you for your suggestion, but I respectfully decline. Value and price is extremely relevant to this game, a large portion of the posts in this thread have expressed unwillingness to buy this game at $70 and its been a popular topic on social media about this game.

The game does feature RT

Oh.

According to this video at 4.46 its does not use RT reflections.

There are different ways of using RayTracing, not all forms means Reflections.

4 Likes

Indeed, i dont think that analysis mentioned an RT uses.

However shadows and reflections appear to be screen space.

It would of been useful if the devs said what RT would be used for. Its like its coming just a marketing checkbox.

My guess is that they are using it for global illumination, which would be very nice. Looking foward to the digital foundry analysis.

The game does look interesting at least and am curious about full reviews, so I may pick it up down the line when cheaper on my PS5 or wait until it possibly gets added to PS+ or something. This is an interesting case for me where Game Pass is actually affecting whether I spend money even on another platform right away due to the $70 price and it not being a total must play type game for me.

It does say Ray Traced Lighting in that blogpost I posted earlier.

I know… Lighting is a broad term which spans multiple RT implementations.

But thats “something” surely, not “no Ray tracing”. I understood Ray tracing wasn’t fixed to one specific implementation.

Yes and I posted the analysis that lead me to believe the game does not have ray tracing.

Come on now, keep up…

A quick google search would tell you it’s being used for global illumination.

My final thoughts on Returnal and value are this. It appears to be a high quality game, and previews suggest that to be true of every aspect of the experience. Sony and Nintendo have both demonstrated time and time again that people are willing to pay for quality. Rather than trying to diminish this game by suggesting Sony isn’t being “honest”, and quickly forgotten games like The Medium are “correctly priced”, I’d rather celebrate great games being funded and produced, and we’ll see where the price discussion ends up when the sales figures come in.

Well aren’t you just delightful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I doubt a price increase of $10 in most places is going to cause gamers to stop buying games day 1 in all honesty, they might buy less but they won’t stop buying the games they think look really cool.

Also I can see MS putting their games up to $70 too btw so probably should prepare for that outrage lol, and I just know people are gonna say “they’re just doing it for game pass!!!” which is true but if the industry is doing it why not.

I did search and it still does not say what type of RT is being used… Given that shadows and reflections are the most Popular type of Raytracing its not surprising to think that the game does not have RT based in that information.