First 45mins of Returnal

Game seems it could’ve had much potential if it was an exploration/adventure game instead of a roguelite. Such a waste

1 Like

The roguelike/lite aspect gives me pause, but I’m open to the idea (Hades was in my top 3 games of 2020). Looking at a bit of footage, it seems like it would be up my alley, but damn that $70 is a tough pill to swallow. When I eventually get a PS5, I hope to pick this up for under $30.

I wouldn’t call it the ps5 medium. This game looks much better than that and I’m interested to actually play it. I did play medium but it was uninteresting.

I agree looks much better than medium and looks like something that’ll have a lot better word of mouth. Depends on how well it’s received ofcourse.

Why must people compare two games completely different in their genre, scope and even way of accessing it.

2 Likes

Looks neat, I’m sure it will be well received.

I like rougelikes but not sure in this format. The main problem with this would be the narrative, you are meant to die so there is dialog and story bits uncovered during your “loops” but there will be only so much variety. Hopefully the internal dialog isn’t repeated, I’d imagine it would get annoying after 100 runs. This one also doesn’t seem like the replayable types more like finish the story and you’re done.

This game reminds me of both ReCore and Sunset Overdrive

ReCore in the way it plays/moves.

Sunset Overdrive in that those that will enjoy this game will thoroughly enjoy it. They’ll love it to death, but there’ll be one or two things that just turn the majority off and stop it from putting up big numbers.

I love Housemarque as a studio and actually wish MS had snapped them up back when they publicly said they can’t afford to make “their” kind of game anymore.

I hope this game does well enough for Sony to consider picking them up. Although that’s a double edged sword given that Sony most likely won’t let them make twin stick arcade games anymore.

3 Likes

It would have been perfect put inside something like Game Pass ( had MS published the game ), or PS Now/PS Plus. I feel like the rogue-like aspect may be the thing turning people off. For the rest, I agree with you.

For some reason, while watching the playthrough, I found myself impressed at some things and liking them, until I got bored a little. I really don’t know how to explain it.

I expect the Roguelike/lite elements and the bullet hell stuff might be a pain point.

But without having played it myself I can’t form a proper opinion on it. Roguelike/lite can work when done well. I didn’t mind it in West of Dead or ZombiU

Yeah, it can be done well, we will have to see there how people react to it.

I thought it looked familiar but couldn’t quite place it. Now I see why. You’re so spot on with that take. It is so Recore for movement.

2 Likes

Looks really cool. Hopefully it comes to PC like Nex Machina.

Yep it looks a lot like ReCore combat wise, the way you dash and jump to avoid projectiles is almost identical.

Really curious to see how this reviews, can’t wait to see how much things like length and price will impact the scores in a Sony exclusive…those sure didn’t matter a lot in Miles Morales.

Also it’s interesting (for a lot of different reasons) to see how much great presentation, a story hook and being a Sony exclusive make a rogue-lite game an event when Risk of Rain 2 which was published from Gearbox IIRC only has 18 reviews on metacritic. The difference between the two games in terms of coverage is immense.

Sorry for side tracking the thread but is Recore any good?

Yes. Especially the definitive edition and post a bunch of updates. But okay it off your Series internal. Load times get brutal.

1 Like

If the game is overpriced the market will demonstrate that rather easily. If it sells well it wasn’t overpriced. There is not clinical definition of what overpriced is.

The comparison to the Medium in this thread feel disingenuous. The Medium was a snoozer of a game, with a sloppy 30fps frame rate that it couldn’t even keep up smoothly at all times. It was gone and forgotten a day after it came out.

Whether a Roguelike is worth $70 is for each person to decide for themselves, but it sure looks like Returnal is doing some cool things with it’s narrative structure, runs at a solid 60fps frame rate with lots of effects including ray tracing going on, and from all previews has a very good gameplay feel.

Yeah because sales are a good indication of value and quality. For example the great portfolio from Bethesda last generation (as a publisher) where almost all of their games bombed clearly had a problem of value and quality. :roll_eyes:

The Medium is a horror game mostly based on it’s narrative not a rogue-lite shooter, completely different goals both tech/visually and gameplay wise. The thing is that both games look like they are in the same ballpark in terms of budget but one of them is 30 euros more expensive, whether you like one game more than the other is irrelevant.

The last bit where a game is worth more if it has RT and/or 60fps is quite interesting…so if a game runs at a “sloppy” 30fps is worth less? well that’s a new one.

Looks good but the environments could not be duller and more boring, holy fuck. I know we’ve only seen like 2 or 3 biomes out of the multiple there are, though. It also doesn’t look like a very long game.

1. While Returnal does have nice effects, it does have a lot in common with current gen games with these next gen features added, similar how metro exodus + battlefield 5 added RTX features.

2. 60fps is nice, but not a next gen leap.

3. Value aint just a matter of opinion, see my other posts that explain why that is.

4. And if you really want to go “everything is subjective” route , you could turn it back on yourself and ask “weather u think Returnal is doing cool stuff” is entirely subjective.

5. A lot of things can be an opinion, but in conversation people use facts + reasoning to show why there opinion is true, saying “its subjective” does nothing but stonewalls conversations, its surprising that I need to explain this.

Im starting to get flashbacks from when PS4 did that indie inititive and xbox one was getting big AAA exclusives, you had PS4 warriors screaming “just because you dont think this indie is as good as that AAA does not mean many other people dont…”

Didnt see this blogpost yesterday.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/editorial/this-month-on-playstation/everything-you-need-to-know-about-returnal/

Glancing back over yesterdays previews has warmed me considerably. I do like “gentle” multiplayer in games such as dead players corpses appearing in the world, fits the genre and I always enjoyed it in the more recent AC games.

1 Like