Fighting Games [OT] Fighting in the Emerald Streets (and Beyond)

Hey there fellow pugilists! For a site that has been around a decent amount of time, XboxEra has one glaring omission: Lack of a dedicated Fighting Game thread. So, whether you’re part of the FGC or a Filthy Casual™, this is the spot for you.

Since this is the land of Xbox, let’s start with the FGs available in the ecosystem:

Killer_Instinct_Logo

Now this game (probably) doesn’t need an introduction. The only Xbox Exclusive FG, KI is a free to play title (meaning you don’t even need Gold to play online) with a single free character to use that rotates every week. If you want everything, though, you can purchase the complete edition or play it on Game Pass. One of the best FGs from the previous gen.

The King is back! After a 7 year hiatus, Street Fighter is back on Xbox . Sporting an eclectic cast, 2 control schemes, a fully open world adventure mode, and complete cross-play between Xbox, PS, & PC, SF is looking to take its crown back.

Mortal Kombat has a large presence on Xbox. Mortal Kombat (2011) & MKvsDC Universe are both playable via Backwards Compatibility on the One & Series consoles. Although, you need the disk to play both. The 8th gen offerings, MKX & MK11 are also both on Xbox - With MK11 on Game Pass. MK11 also has cross play with PS systems through Kasual Matches.

images Ready for a reboot… Or the reboot… of a reboot? Mortal Kombat 1 (not a remake of the original) is here! The next kontinuation of the franchise introduces the new “Kameo” system where you choose a second fighter as an assist. Armed with faster paced kombat and the return of Air Kombat, MK1 certainly intends to make its mark. But, be warned, it is not available for the One and only for the Series systems.

41VeAMVSxLL.AC_SY580

The best Netherrealm Fighter, IJ2 is available on Game Pass (like MK11). But it is the standard edition. If you want all of the DLC characters, I suggest you purchase the Legendary Edition.

Power_Rangers_Battle_for_the_Grid

Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid is a 3 vs 3 fighting game with it’s roots in the Capcom Versus series. Utilizing simple inputs for special moves, it is the perfect FG for those prefer to fight their opponent and not their controller.

The latest entry in the longtime 3D FG franchise, Tekken 7 is the current go to game for those with an itch for side stepping.

download (1)

Both Dead or Alive 5 & 6 have FtP versions playable on Xbox. But, you are going to have to buy the games (and their ludicrously large pools of DLC) if you want everything.

download (2)

If want an actual good 3D FG to play (:wink:) Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown is available through Backwards Compatibility on Xbox. Give this gem of a game a try if you haven’t already.

download (4)

DBFZ is a 3v3 FG heavily inspired by MvC. Like (almost) every game on the list, it is available on Game Pass.

apps.19626.13940315935007321.98375bc5-c573-4cb1-a84a-c89ebcff0b25

The perennial tag-team franchise has returned to Xbox. After skipping the platform with XIV, SNK’s 3v3 fighter is back with the same high-octane gameplay the series is infamous for. This is an entry you don’t want to miss!

OIP

Last but certainly not least - Making big waves in the FGC, Guilty Gear Strive is probably the best ‘anime’ FG around. This rockin’ Fighter is available on Gamepass and has cross-play to boot.

Wipes Brow Ok, those are the most major FGs on Xbox. Time to talk about…

9 Likes

Other system offerings!

What was once a game with a rocky start, is now an incredibly balanced FG with a plethora of Street Fighters to choose from. Playable on PS systems & PC, it has cross play in all multiplayer modes. It might be yesterdays news but it is still an entry worth playing!

download (3)

Time to start an argument :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Available only on the Switch, Ultimate is the culmination of years of work on the Smash Bros. franchise.

That is for the OP. I know there are much, much more FGs out there, but this list is long enough :sweat_smile:. Time to talk games!

2 Likes

I’ll start off the conversation saying that I REALLY hope we get major SF6 news this year (and not just a tease).

Next, I list the games I’m currently playing (and strongly suggest you do the same):

Xbox: Killer Instinct (haven’t played seriously in a long time - getting back into it), Injustice 2, MKX (also getting back into it), and MK vs DC (yes, really)

PS: Street Fighter V and MK11.

Good thread. I’ve never really been good at fighting games… The only game here I’m competent at is Smash, which is not really like the other games here lol.

I’ve been eyeing “Melty Blood: Type Lumina” lately though. I’ve been wanting to try out an anime fighter, and this one seems to be one of the few that actually decided to do an Xbox release, so it seems like something I’d buy just to support JP studios and the genre on Xbox. It looks fun and flashy. The pixel art is drawing me in lol. It’s based on the visual novel Tsukihime, which I know nothing about :sweat_smile:. I’m just waiting on a discount, sadly wasn’t in the Holiday sale. I hear the game is more or less dead on all platforms (cross-play is needed…) but I think I’m fine with that, would like to fight the CPU rather than get my ass whooped online :sob:.

Seems like the upcoming DLC fighters are also free. Not sure if all upcoming will be or just these 2, but that’s pretty cool

Besides my passing interest in that, Smash is all I semi-regularly play. I forgot DBFZ was in Game Pass, should probably give that a whirl some day as another anime fighter to play on Xbox. I actually did play the beta and remember finding it enjoyable.

And about Street Fighter VI, well we know it’s coming as it was in the Capcom data breach, Xbox was even listed as a platform (though we all know “you know who” could swoop in and secure exclusivity). Just a matter of when. Hopefully Xbox can get it as missing SFV was for sure a big blow to this genre on the platform.

And I think I should give a shoutout to KOF XV coming soon, seems like a big deal, considering KOF XIV did not come to Xbox. For Xbox, it will be on Series SX only (no Xone version).

If Xbox gets SFIV on top of having KOF XV I think the FG situation will be much better this gen for Xbox. Then Xbox just has to find someone to make KI2!

3 Likes

I have heard good things about the latest Melty Blood (anime fighters are admittedly not my thing). As for KoF XV, I’m hyped! I will (probably) grab it on PS4 (the Series consoles are still hard to find :neutral_face:) but I am glad KoF is back on Xbox.

All i can say is i wish strive was on xbox.

And that Ki needs to come back in some capacity

2 Likes

Man this is one genre I really wish I grew up with liking. So many cool games, characters and move sets and It has never clicked with me.

Envy all those that love these kind of games.

2 Likes

As long as we get Killer Instinct 2 and Tekken 8 this generation I’ll be happy.

1 Like

Any reason why they’ve never clicked?

I think just never been around it growing up. Mainly played Pokemon, Mario, Spyro and then when I got the 360 It was just mainly shooters and rpg’s and its been that way since.

1 Like

Makes sense. Admittedly, Street Fighter II & Mortal Kombat II were the first games I remember ‘playing’ (as much playing as a 4 year old can). Growing up around them is pretty important.

Wasn’t sure where to post this but I figured this would be a good thread to start: was thinking of hosting a community night stream where we all relive the good ol’ days in the arcade, playing some fighters. Was wondering if the community here would be interested and if so, what games would people be interested in?

Was thinking KI and MK can at least be included since both are on gamepass but I also own most other fighting games as well if enough people are interested in participating.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

I think it’s a great idea (and sort of what I was hoping would happen when I made this topic). How would it be handled though? Don’t ask me, I suck at logistics :sweat_smile:.

EDIT: I will say that KI and MK are good ideas (due to Game Pass & Cross Play).

We can pick a night over the next couple weeks that works best for everyone, we all join a party chat and game on while I stream it.

We can also include additional games if enough people own them or don’t mind getting them before the date we all agree on. I’m at work now but can list all the online fighters I have later today.

Will also post the idea in the community thread, maybe it’ll get more eyes there too.

1 Like

Sounds good to me. I’m usually free between 10-4 in the day and 9 at night. I should warn everyone that I currently don’t have a mic, so I wouldn’t be the liveliest :sweat_smile:. I’m currently playing:

Xbox: Killer Instinct, Injustice 2, MKX, and MK vs DC (yes, really) - might have to bust out Virtua Fighter 5

PS: Street Fighter V and MK11.

Nice! I’d love to include fighters on PS but with this being a XboxEra stream, we wouldn’t be able to include it. I’m down to play normal times though lol

2 Likes

While true with SF, MK11 does have a cross play enabled room in Kasuals. I could be the one weirdo playing on PS :sweat_smile:.

List of online enabled fighters I own are:

• MK11
  • DBFZ
  • Jump Force
  • Soulcalibur VI
  • Dragonball Xenoverse 2
  • KI (Plus Classic titles)
  • Naruto Ninja Storm 1-4
  • Tekken 7
  • Injustice 2
  • DoA 4 & 6
  • NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
  • Sonic Fighters
  • VF2
  • VF5
  • Fighting Vipers
  • Soulcalibur 2
  • Super Street Fighter 4
  • Virtual On

Down to play any one of those for the stream if anyone wants to jump in.

And that’s totally cool! I love crossplay and hope we see more fighters support it this gen.

1 Like

Well I got KI (2013), IJ2, and VF 2 all set up on my Xbox - I have SF4 as well but I’d have to DL it or actually set up my 360 :sweat_smile:. We need to get more of XboxEra in on this action.

So, XboxEra, how do you choose a ‘main’? Aesthetics, gameplay, or a little bit of both?