Fable Predictions and Discussion Thread

Based on the trailer, they are definitely heading to have a similar time as the original games. Hopefully Playground is able to mix that levity along with some great combat and story. Super excited to see what the talented folks at Playground have in store for us.

I think they follow a similar trajectory as what they did with Horizon, namely each game becomes more open and layered with each installment.

New hire with a slight hint that it might take a more serious approach! Found it pretty interesting.

5 Likes

Super talented hire. Quote has me a tad nervous though tbh. I never was keen on the fart jokes, but the tone of Fable is still basically Monty Python’s Fairy Tale, not Witcher 3.5. Still, she later posts a follow up mentioning writing fairy tales in the English countryside, and the tone in the trailer was spot on, so I hope this is more growing the beard and less becoming a sort of high/dark fantasy. That’s what Elder Scrolls and Avowed are for.

1 Like

I was slightly concerned about the tone, but this has reassured me that it won’t be too over the top. The previous Fable’s weren’t that crazy either, but their is always some worry that a new developer might over emphasize the “wrong” things.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t think they’re gonna swing massively the other way, I think it’ll be more of a mature comedy tone to it. We’re 100% going to get some British humour for sure haha, the tone of the trailer is just proof.

I just think the farting and throwing sand in peoples eyes is what would be cut as it’s a bit immature and we all know people would rate it less of a game if it had it. Games now days have to be 100% serious to be considered “good” so I can see why.

1 Like

Sorry for the necro, but this was the closest to an OT on Fable I could find. Since there doesn’t appear to be one, maybe this should be designated as such?

Anyway, wanted to share an update from Amie Loake, a producer on Fable, regarding the scaling down rumours that were first mentioned on the XNC podcast:

3 Likes

Any large software project typically is going to have scoping calls to make sure that things are moving along. I work alongside dev in a medium sized FI and have definitely been told that features I wanted as part of a project (and can even argue are needed to prevent a lot of future work) aren’t in scope and won’t be addressed at this time. It happens, and it’s hilarious that it’s a talking point. Glad she did speak out on it even though she shouldn’t have had to.

Question on Fable 3 for people here. I’ve seen several say they didn’t care much for it. As someone who started with 3 after getting it from Games with Gold, I actually really liked it. I have tried playing 1 anniversary but couldn’t get into it partly because of the movement, but did like 2 a lot as well. So I’m curious, what didn’t you like about 3 specifically?

Game is very short. The part where decision matters at the end was very short. Game is alright but nowhere near what it was meant to be. Part 2 had more sim elements and a lot more you could do.

2 Likes

OK, that makes some sense.

Is Fable 3 the one that was super buggy?

I know that aging was not that popular in the original Fable, but really want to have that feature. Life journey to slay the evil was very nice.

1 Like

I am curious what amount of the old sim elements will be carried over into this game. Will players be able to own/rent property? Marry? Plant an acorn? :wink:

Or perhaps they are attempting adapt the tone, while building out something new - it remains to be seen

1 Like

I didn’t hate 3 but it felt like more of an expansion as at the time

But don matrik when he took over pushed quick sequels to existing franchise like they were new sports entries. If I remember fable 3 only had like 14 months development time so they ended up reusing a ton of things from 2.

1 Like

I can definitely see that being a thing too. I don’t know a ton about the development of it, but from reading a bit about Lionhead after the fact, it seemed like they were pushed to deliver too much and not give the time to do it. I’m glad that doesn’t seem to be the case with the new one, at least from what we know. They are seeming to have the time to get something good together.

I did like 3. But there were bits I really didn’t like. The weapon morphing for one thing really didn’t work well. At least at release. And I didn’t like how streamlined the magic was.

As someone who played through blind at release and hadn’t broken the economy by the end of the game I also really enjoyed the frustrating choices you had to make. I think it was unfortunate they could be subverted entirely by just making a bunch of money and breaking the economy beforehand. But for the time the game was developed I thought there was a lot of interesting nuance there that really didn’t come until you were ruler and had to make hard choices.

1 Like

I actually kinda liked that I could mess up the money situation, but I do get what you’re saying.

For sure! I think being able to be a slum landlord is just part of the Fable experience. Lol.

I just feel a bit bad for people who might have missed out on that intended “king simulator” experience because they’d already broken the landlord one.

1 Like