EUR-Lex: Zenimax pathway to acquisition made clear. (Relevant documentation available)

Wait Sony trying to block the Zenimax deal from happening? If so if I’m Microsoft I go and buy another publisher just to send a message to Sony.

I don’t think they are. Sony themselves are shopping for publishers. They almost bought Leyou. They also have market domination of games and anime. They don’t want to set a precedent that will come back to bite them in the long run.

Where the hell did you hear that?

1 Like

Nothing new has happend. Case search - Competition - European Commission (europa.eu)

7 Likes

Welcome! I see you have the EU site on close watch too! You’ll fit right in! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah. I always enjoy the “I am sorted, I have a PC” jab at MS, as if:

• MS does not benefit
  • Merely having a PC will yield an experience comparable to a Series X

MS does not care how you play their games. As long as you are invested in their ecosystem, they are happy.

2 Likes

Is this rumor?

1 Like

The EU haven’t updated the case file, its safe to say no one objected to it.

As the same reasoning can be used against the company that objects when they want to acquire something.

Also the Zenimax merger is far from a monopoly to anyone atm, would take quite a few more publishers to be bought up by MS for that to even be a factor.

6 Likes

It is nowhere near monopoly now and studios and publishers pop up left and right. I mean literally not that far ago Playtonic became a publisher.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anything about this. Seems to me it’s just a guess or something. Certainly not a rumor that’s going around anyway.

I keep seeing reactions on sites by people that Phil is a good guy, he wouldn’t want BGS’s (and the rest of Bethesda) hard work for only one platform, the usual “they need PS” of course, they wouldn’t let all the hard work on Starfield be for nothing, just too big of a company and games to just keep it all exclusive and so on.

I guess they didn’t read the interviews where Phil said they don’t need PS, that he tires of the question “will this game or that game come to other platforms”, that the few games that came to Switch just isn’t really sustainable. And his words about wanting a full working ecosystem on PS or Switch.

People seem easy to forget or they just don’t wanna hear it.

2 Likes

Only one case with a closer provisional deadline that hasn’t recieved its ruling now. So one would expect to hear something this week.

6 Likes

Here

For anyone who missed it. good read.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTk7AZV2OB8

1 Like

I went through all the cases approved in the last month. The ones with a simplified procedure closed early. The ones without closed on the provisional deadline.

The Zenimax deal is not subject to simplifief review because MS and Zenimax obviously have holdings in the same industry. We may be waiting until the 5th.

Edit: Some without simplified procedure have closed early in the last 6 months though. Keep hope alive! :slight_smile:

It could add up with something happening around mid-March, first the case is closed around the 5th, and then a week later, the acquisition is finalized.

1 Like

I am guessing we should get an update sometime starting tommorow?

I honestly would not expect to hear anything before the 5th March since the EU normally does not make a ruling before their initial deadline.

Damn, this looks increasingly likely. Why are there cases with later deadlines processed before this one?

Yeah considering the deadline is Friday and today is Tuesday lol. In regards to the later deadlines, how long were those being looked into because it.

Dunno but most of MS mergers got the decision on the day of the deadline or 1 day before.

Maybe tommorow?