EUR-Lex: Zenimax pathway to acquisition made clear. (Relevant documentation available)

I was actually giving Sony the benefit of the doubt in this hypothetical scenario - not that I think Sony will even contemplate objecting - to show how amusing it would be if Sony objected.

When you look at the gaming market as a whole then the argument that Microsoft is gaining any sort of monopoly in the gaming space is even more ridiculous because they will still be a fraction of the total gaming market.

1 Like

I would imagine Zenimax would be quite pissed if Sony cockblocked their $7.5B payday.

1 Like

They could but they would have to show evidence that it would be a dramatically hinder competition. With Sony being the industry leader in hardware and Zenimax having contextual a relatively low number of studios, compared to the industry as a whole, and putting out, contextual, a low number of games compared to industry as a whole they would be fighting an extreme up hill battle.

Some people truly don’t seem to understand logic
i guess.

In a Reddit thread about this one person said that the fact they have stayed so silent on their is a indication that they don’t intend to make Bethesda games exclusive. All parties now will absolutely know what the plan will be, but the public doesn’t know it yet. Apparently those are reasons to believe it will all remain multiplatform, lol. Funny how that works.

1 Like

Ya could use the same logic to why they would be exclusives as well people just dont want Xbox to have good things haha

I have and always will argue that the Zenimax/Bethesda acquisition BROKE people.

I mean BROKE people.

4 Likes

Lol

1 Like

Haha, it really did. Many are still in the denial phase too, so the meltdowns will be glorious.

1 Like

It was like the Thanos snap but for fanboy psyches.

2 Likes

And I can’t deny that I would understand that, haha. I mean if the roles were reversed, dude, I would be close to being depressed. Because I don’t want to play these games on a PS system. The PS is what I get for solely the exclusives, there’s very little else that I really like about the platform.

Depressed is probably overkill, but I would have hated it for damn sure.

It would be much worse since Sony would take PC out of the equation, lock it into their ugly piece of plastic and charge you €80 for the games.

1 Like

That too, I forgot even about that.

Microsoft is definitely the lesser “evil” if it’s between Sony, Google, Apple, Amazon. They were all eyeing Bethesda.

Yea thank god Microsoft got them

1 Like

I go to sleep everyday thinking of the day the Elder Scrolls 6 trailer will play and start with the words « Exclusive », it will be glorious indeed!

3 Likes

As a consumer, I want Microsoft to have the same marketshare as Sony. It will prevent Sony from buying most of 3rd party exclusivity deals which means more games for me, an Xbox player, with more focused optimization for the best hardware on the market. Bethesda games being exclusive will help towards that goal.

5 Likes

It will also be nice on social media and news media when xbox has more fans and a bigger voice.

2 Likes

I want all of this to result in an industry wide change, leading to day and date subscription service on every platform and for every game.

More than likely the EU would likely cite Sony’s acquisition of Psygnosis as precedent for this level of acquisition back at them. I think Sony knows it’s not worth the cost of legal fees just to be told “You did this before and created the precedent”. Especially as Sega and Nintendo did challenge because Psygnosis had contracts to fufill and Sony was given a conditional pass that Psygnosis had to fulfill contracts to Sega and Nintendo.

MS will likely be given the same conditional to fulfill Deathloop and Ghostwire, but they already planned to do that and likely filed it in their brief so it might not even come up as a conditional pass

2 Likes

You know what the irony is in all of this I’ve realized? The anti-MS crowd would actually pay more in trying to get a PC built to play Bethesda games rather than opting for the $300/$500 dollar option respectively. Let’s not even bring up the fact that they’re helping MS anyway by building a PC, but these gamers don’t seem to be self aware of that fact.

These naysayers are gonna gave a ‘come to Jesus’ moment with MS and Xbox. And I for one am truly fascinated on how they’ll respond.

1 Like

Nah, the anti-MS crowd is small but vocal. The vast majority of people who prefer console gaming + Bethesda will buy an XBox.