Elden Ring releases on January 21, 2022 for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S and PC

I was watching the trailer during the showcase and thought to myself, “ok, but it’s probably still ages away from releasing”, then the date popped up. Now I’m excited.

And of course like I said before, From has not been “AAA” for very long. Dark Souls 3 is maybe where I’d consider them being bigger budgeted than before. It’s easy to forget that it wasn’t too long ago that From was mostly coasting on quirky bargain-bin titles.

2 Likes

Would y’all be ok if the game uses the same systems as Souls, like bonfire to save or something similar and then enemies respawning?

This is open world,so I definitely think there should be some big differences and changes.

1 Like

I’m hoping there will be some changes to the formula & some similarities to carry over.

For example I think we will get big fights against seemingly impossible bosses & some kind of co-op/PvP system, judging by the trailer. Though I’m not sure if the game needs to include the mechanic of using Souls, which the player can lose upon death, to level up & buy stuff.

This being, as you say, a fully fledged open world, I think maybe they should just go with the tried & trusted system where the player simply earns XP to level up.

I don’t want Elden Ring to be just another Souls re-skin but at the same time I don’t want From to drop everything that worked well in those games. I’d like to see them try a more straightforward ARPG, without some of the more divisive elements of their previous work but while keeping the same vibe & sense of style that they’re so good at.

1 Like

Good video. But for those that won’t watch…

The game itself

• Like we all noticed too, the combat is much more fast paced,more similar to Sekiro than Souls. Also being able to dodge roll and immediately shoot arrows etc.

• There seems to be actual proper jumping now.

• ER features vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy,complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly.

• Traverse the breathtaking world on foot or on horseback,alone or online with other players and fully immerse yourself in the grassy plains, suffocating swamps,spiraling mountains, foreboding castles and other sites of grandeur on a scale never seen before in a From title.

• You can go for a stealth approach if you so desire.

Release date

• The trailer says January 21, 2022. Jason Schreier tweeted " Nice release date you got here, hope nobody…delays it."

The Xbox Series and PS5 versions

• Free upgrade to current gen if you happen to buy for last gen. No pre-orders yet for current gen versions.
2 Likes

But can you invade other players ?

No idea! But that online part has me wondering if we can actually play in co-op throughout the whole game.

Two more details

• Day/Night cycle + dynamic weather system

• NPCs in the world can help or hurt you

1 Like

That’s really nice, especially with the NPC’s, since they always were very static in Souls games.

1 Like

What?!

The NPCs aren’t static in Souls games. They don’t just stay in one place, they each have their own storyline running parallel to the player’s & move around to various different locations. They can get up to all kinds of crazy stuff & are worth watching. Don’t you remember how Patches & Yurt taught us all those lessons way back in Demon’s Souls?!

Vendors tend to be static though, which makes sense, but even then it’s not always a given.

I meant more to say in terms of movements, they are not moving around much, unless you progress their quest. And even then, not all quests are meaningful at the end. I have not played Demon’s Souls, so I cannot judge on that.

1 Like

Whelp. Thank god for Smart delivery then. I was planning on buying this on PS5, but since game upgrades are handled so poorly by Sony, this makes my decision incredibly easy to go with Xbox.

cracked the code

Xbox doesn’t want people to hatewatch their stream just to see ER

2 Likes

I will probably get this one on Series X. Will watch reviews carefully for the best version

So current gen version later.?

Schreier implied that there is a possibility of next gen versions hitting at a later date.

Persona 6 coming to Xbox as an exclusive.

1 Like

Not in a million years will PS5/XSX version hit later.

They’ll all come out at the same time as they should. Jason didn’t hint at anything. Guys trolling again.

Well with Xbox you’re good anyways. And the version doesn’t matter. We’ll see.

Day One!

3 posts were split to a new topic: Elden Ring delayed to 25th February 2022