Dying Light 2: Stay Human OT - Releases February 4th, 2022

Aigth, so @peter42O , should I buy it?

Currently playing it. Still on the prologue 3 hours in but taking my time, trying to gather every resource, item, etc. Playing on normal which is pretty easy thus far but again, im only in the prologue.

Iā€™m enjoying the game thus far. A few minor nitpicks that I prefer to be turned off - like enemy detection arrows and that white glimmer that goes around the edge of the screen to tell you thereā€™s enemies like in Assassinā€™s Creed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla.

The biggest gripe/nitpick is that you have to use the ā€œvisionā€ all the time. I would have preferred items to just ā€œglow/shimmerā€ like in Far Cry and other games. Never been a fan of ā€œvisionā€ in games.

Other than that, no actual complaints or negatives thus far and even what I said, itā€™s more about personal preference than anything else.

Parkour and combat feels good thus far. Game also looks great on Series X despite it being 1080P and no HDR. But I will easily take the 60FPS over visuals anyway. Will post more info later tonight.

1 Like

And in terms of aliasing? Nice clean picture or is there jaggies? Didnā€™t see much in the videos, but YouTube videos mask that.

Dying Light 2 has one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a long long time.

1 Like

You mean instead of a straight line, itā€™s looks like steps? If so, itā€™s probably in the game but I have been busy playing and not really paying attention to the visuals which are great by the way. The environments and whatnot look terrific. No issues with the visuals. Iā€™m in the prologue since I restarted the game on hard as normal was a breeze. Hard is little more challenging but thus far, not overdone. Everything else that I said earlier still applies.

1 Like

Just had a major bug. During a cut scene, thereā€™s this noise for a few seconds and the audio all cuts out immediately. Same exact bug that ACG described in his review. Thankfully, I always play with subtitles on so I was able to read the minute or two of text and once it went back to gameplay, it auto saved which at that point, I went to the title screen and then the Xbox dashboard. I quit the game and restarted it. So far so good now.

Just did a chase sequence. This game is so fucking great thus far. Outside of the major bug, my few negatives is more personal preferences/pet peeves.

I donā€™t think the Day One patch has released yet, crazily enough.

I downloaded the game which was 35GB and the patch was under 1GB so it definitely wasnā€™t since Techland said itā€™s a massive patch that fixes 1000 things.

Since then, no issues thankfully. This game is so freaking good Jesse!!! I did however come across another negative that is in a lot of games and will never understand why. The leaving area warning screen. Fell into a big hole early on in the City for a mission and couldnā€™t get out within the time limit which was all of 5 seconds. SMH. I really hate it when games have this. I know they want the player to do the mission but sometimes, itā€™s just ridiculous. Otherwise, definitely better than the first game in every way and overall, I donā€™t want to stop playing. lol

1 Like

Can anyone else just not focus on the game? Thereā€™s so much visual noise and at 1080p on a 4k screen, it looks really bad. I feel like I have to spam the sense mechanic to find anything.

Visually, I think the game looks great and after playing for 12+ hours in a single day, I can definitely focus on the game itself but at the same time, the vision mechanic is definitely spammed a lot. The items should have been like Far Cry where it shimmers/glows/whatever when you get within 10 meters or so. This is my biggest negative with the game thus far outside of the audio bug I mentioned earlier.

This game was on my radar for a while, and I was ā€œdisappointedā€ with some of the reviews to some degree and some talk as if the game was almost ā€œbrokenā€ with bugs or something. Man am I glad that I just went ahead and started playing it. This is easily my favorite zombie game ever so far! I am playing in performance mode on the Series X on my 65" 4K TV sitting quite close, and it looks really good to me. I tried to put it into another mode, and while it was somewhat ā€œsharperā€ of course it just canā€™t be played at 30 fps for this type of game. And in fact, as usual 60 fps arguably makes the graphic clarity overall more for a game where you are moving fast and turning a lot regardless. The movement overall and ā€œparkourā€ combat is just awesome for me, and the sound design (headphones really adds to the immersion for this one I think) and soundtrack is just great too. This one is definitely closer to Andrew Reinerā€™s Game Informer 9.5 score so far for me, donā€™t sleep on this one.

3 Likes

With visual noise you mean aliasing? The first one had this too, always thought it was because of weaker hardware, but I wonder if that could be a engine thing instead? The footage they had shown so far didnā€™t really show aliasing though.

It looked clean enough in videos, but maybe YouTube doesnā€™t show it as noticeable. Unless you mean something else.

That could be part of the problem. For me, itā€™s the heavily detailed environments that look washed out, maybe due to being on lower settings via performance mode, and blend together with the lower resolution on my 4K TV. Nothing feels distinct or like it pops. Maybe because the introductory areas were foliage dense environments it exacerbated the issue.

I just bought itā€¦ I will blame you and @peter42O if it sucks!

2 Likes

I just heard that thereā€™s a film grain option. Disable it and the noise might be gone.

It definitely doesnā€™t suck. I do recommend playing on hard though especially if youā€™re good in first person melee combat based games. I usually play on easy/normal for first person games but normal was way too easy so I started over on hard and it feels like the way itā€™s meant to be - a true survival game with resource gathering, running to escape the infected at night but also to take risks. Itā€™s so damn great!!!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

Side Note: Had that audio glitch bug that I mentioned yesterday happen today as well. Once once and had to finish what I was doing and once it auto saved, I went to the dashboard, quit and restarted.

1 Like

Thank you for not blaming me, I get yelled at enough in YouTube comments for daring to like things (and also not liking other things) :doge:

1 Like

I know what you mean. It looks awfully distracting at times. Hell I even think the first one with fps boost looks cleaner and thatā€™s only 900p.

Iā€™m on the second map now and things donā€™t look good, especially the wider the view.

1 Like

I was watching this, since I donā€™t have the game myself yet.

And I donā€™t see anything resembling visual noise or much aliasing really. Watched a few other channels too. It looks fine to me here, nothing remotely closely to the jaggy fest that is DL1.

Speaking of that, any news when the next gen patch for DL1 could release?