Do you believe that Sony allows the Game Pass on the Playstation?

I don’t think it would kill Xbox hardware, on the contrary.

If buying a game on the Xbox ecosystem gives you access to the game on other platforms including Playstation why would you buy it through the ps store that locks you to it?

So the customer naturally would shift their purchases there and so would developers.

And quite frankly Sony doesn’t have the 1st party to stand on its own like Nintendo does so why would customers not go to the most powerful hardware instead?

Gamepass will be able to be played via Xcloud in a browser! They can’t stop it. The same can be said for Sony’s streaming solution on Xbox system.

Allowing Game Pass on PS officially would be a humiliation for Sony and I can’t see someone like Jim Ryan allowing his ego to ever make that a reality.

Think of it this way. Can you see Sony allowing MS game pass advertising all over the PS Store?

MS know Sony would never go for it. But it gets the heat off their back as Sony customers can pester Sony and ask why not?

1 Like

Regardless of what Sony might or might not be willing to allow, I doubt that Microsoft are interested in putting Game Pass on PlayStation. xCloud, sure, I could potentially see that, but not Game Pass. MS want to control their platform and not risk finding themselves in a situation where their business depends on whims of any other platform holder (PC with its different storefronts may be the sole exception, because by supporting them they’re also supporting Windows). MS are not interested in being solely a third party publisher or a third party service provider, otherwise they would’ve gone down that path ages ago. It’s their own platform (and by that I mean Xbox Live and the accompanying business ecosystem, not necessarily the Xbox hardware) that gives them the leverage and enables them to prioritize their own strategic goals, and you don’t jeopardize that by giving your competitors all of your content.

All that said, I doubt that Sony would be interested either.

1 Like

Gamepass wouldn’t make any sense for Sony or Nintendo because it will cannibalize sales for third party games, and will lose out on 30 % cut.

Plus they have their own gamepass like service with PSNow, so wouldn’t make any sense

1 Like

I think it’s going to depend on which other publishers Microsoft buys.

I guess never say never but that would mean Sony gets ALL exclusives, all the multiplatform titles on there as well. It pretty much would render PS Now Obsolete except for the few exclusives they got in there.

This is such a crazy scenario I can’t see it happening. Maybe if they strike a deal where it’s solely Bethesda games but that would be nonsense in my opinion. A full ecosystem means a full ecosystem.

Now that I think about, I think it would make sense for MS to put Game Pass on Switch with XCloud (considering that Nintendo is open to such stuff now with cloud gaming + most of third parties are not Switch anyway) and it will serve as a game pass handheld.

Regarding Sony, I think MS - instead of putting Game Pass there - should not do that and with Game Pass it should try siphon off games from Playstation. With Nintendo and MS collaboration it is very much possible.

Looking at this from just the hardware perspective is incredibly short sighted, PS profits do not come from selling consoles, they come from selling games and services, take that away and you have a great way of bankrupting a business.

It is the reason why Sony has not released their next gen console with a full-fledged web browser, because they would be exposing themselves to huge market that they can’t currently compete in. It is why MS has released the Chromium Edge browser because realistically speaking there is no proper competition for them in that space, so it just becomes a good value add to the system.

Gamepass as a service will never exists on other platforms with just 1st party games because then it stops being Gamepass. There is a reason why Phil Spencer made that statement, because they know the disruptive potential of Gamepass.

I would love someone from the press to actually ask this question to Jim Ryan, would be interesting to see his response but I’m pretty sure he’d laugh it off.

2 Likes

If Sony wants Bethesda games to keep coming to PS5 in some way, sure.

Also, even if Game Pass came to PS5 and Switch that wouldn’t mean Xbox would exit the hardware business. This is like saying Apple should stop selling the Apple TV because people have Apple TV apps on their Roku’s and TV’s.

No this will never happen.

Sony would never allow it because it immediately shows their customers that their direct competitor has a much better product.

Xbox probably doesn’t actually want this because they don’t want to give the PS5 any extra boost.

3 Likes

Probably not.

All media outlets had to opportunity to ask him, but they don’t because in doing so, they would acknowledge that Game Pass has become a paradigm so big that Sony has to address that possibility.

Instead, they keep asking that to Phil, to imply that Game Pass needs to be on Playstation to be really successful/make money.

2 Likes

Hard for Sony to do that when it’s PlayStation division is bankrupted by the move…

I bet some will start asking Jim in the near future. The moment they do and he brushes it off, Xbox has a devastating PR win.

1 Like

Yep a big shift maybe the laughable media will actually respect Xbox more

No way. They make the most money by selling games on their ecosystem and from Plus - both things would take a huge hit with Game Pass.

I don’t believe that MS wants gamepass on PlayStation despite what Sony fanboys want to fantasise about to make themselves feel better.

Gamepass on PlayStation would mean handling Sony a monopoly in the high end console market and giving Sony all the negotiating power in the world. Why would MS want to kill its own console , for a few tens of million of users more (the difference between PlayStation and Xbox console sales) ? That means that Sony could require a cut from gamepass, if not immediately then in the future, no more 3rd party revenue for MS from 3rd party game sales on Xbox, no more Xbox live revenue for MS and Sony could eventually (after the Xbox division would be finished) create their own service (well they already have one, but I guess make it better) that would cut gamepass’ legs.

1 Like

Precisely.

There is no reason too. XCloud will come to TV - and I hope each Playstation owner has TV - so no reason for Playstation app. Aside that, there is no reason to waste resources or developing games for Playstation.