Disco Elysium: The Final Cut |OT| Politics Politics Politics

ehhhh, kinda. I mean there is a level of similarity with regards speech checks an an emphasis on story over action. Certainly the isometric view is similar, but this eschews more traditional combat to be entirely based on speech and on embracing or rejecting certain aspects of your characters psyche. There’s a lot of “detectiving” as well using skill rolls and exploring like a point and click. So its kind of the same but also its own thing.

Its also incredibly dry and amusing so far. I have been looking forward to it for ages since I love some proper role playing in my games, but I tried to go in completely unknown, I felt it was something I would enjoy playing with my partner downstairs than on PC.

1 Like

Don’t worry. I’m gonna delete my account. I don’t love the personal attacks and mob gang mentality here

I’d been playing this one early due to political family connections. (Thanks Senator Cabesa)

And I definitely thought of you when I first experienced the deliciously dark inner monologue and colorfully grim conversation options. Some of them felt right out of a Cerys podcast question…with better voice acting than Nick

3 Likes

Please, no more politics in this thread! :wink:

1 Like

On the off-chance that you aren’t a troll, a bit of advice: don’t antagonize other members, don’t bump dead topics with something like a trivial negative opinion, learn to read the room, learn to accept when you’ve lost. Hope you find a community you like if you were being sincere.

Edit: Apologies, didn’t mean to further the derail. @Cerysnetics and @PoderickPayne , I got the impression that there’s a lot of content that’s gated behind particular builds, do you have the impression that this is a game that would warrant a lot of replays?

1 Like

Lauren Conrad Awww GIF

Aww, you made my day :green_heart: You’re officially my new favourite member of the secret Cabesa Cabal

1 Like

I just pictured you with a Brittish Parliment wig, for some reason

Looked great on you

3 Likes

Art is political, games are art. Be kind and respectful and there is no reason to not talk about it! Enjoy the new OT for this wonderful game.

4 Likes

I’m with you to a point, bruh

No way you can convince shit like this is political…

2 Likes

You see that third dot from the top left? That represents Stalin, and the big smear on the mid right is him when he was a boy.

3 Likes

As I say I purposefully have stayed as blind as possible, I know what I mentioned above, the basis in a PnP RPG and little else.

What else I understand leads me to think that the game would lend itself to replayability a great deal, not just because of the different aspects of yourself you are slave to and the agency it gives, but that the game, like a good RPG embraces failure so that you could by the roll of a die miss out on a section you cannot return to.

Jason Issac, woof!

2 Likes

Closing time, one last call for alcohol So, finish your whiskey or beer

Closing time, you don’t have to go home But you can’t stay here

2 Likes

Haaaaaa! at the title.

Thats enough for me for tonight, but I love this game already, its humour is perfect and played just so…

The conceit, amnesiac protaganist and inner monologues fighting over each other is just wonderful.

Wait till you hear who funded Jackson Pollock :smirk:

Actually, don’t wait.

Because, interestingly enough, this is a particularly bad example as CIA at the time funded these museums to prop up Abstract Expressionalism (Pollocks whole shtick) and abstract art in general as a talking point in the Cold War to showcase that America had more creative intelligence than the Soviet Union.

3 Likes

You didn’t ask me, but this is a game to treat like a choose your own adventure and not worry about 100%ing because it’s impossible. Skill checks fail in the background every few lines of dialogue but you only ever see the successful ones. Failures on important and obvious skill checks often lead to better and more interesting results.

I’m an OCD, check every dot off the map kind of gamer, but with this game you just gotta go with the flow.

2 Likes

…I’m starting to think Semisonic had the right idea

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

This is really great insight, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2 Likes

Looks like I missed all the action…

2 Likes

Oops.