Dirt 5 Series X gameplay and impressions are out! (Updated with Digital Foundry - top video)

Here my 2 cents:

Games that are also available for next gen will feature several things that show the benefits of next gen.

This time it was 120fps gaming and 60 fps gaming.

Don’t expect to see a game already that does it all. People should really learn to be more patient especially in the times we live in currently.

I repeat myself but I defined my expectations before we knew about the capabilities of the consoles which were:

1. faster loading times
  2. better and stable fps
  3. doing this in a silent way

All next gen consoles are able to do this. I did not expect a big leap in Gfx, honestly. I did not even expect RT would be HW accelerated in some way.

And I also give a fuck what people want to tell me what to expect, most of them don’t do that in good faith.

+++ end of transmission +++

4 Likes

I mean this is true to some extent but Sony haven’t shown off anything all that mind blowing. Ryse was easily the prettiest game at launch last time but nobody was interested. It’s time we face the fact that whatever Xbox do the goalposts move.

For the last few years we’ve had people saying that graphics don’t matter it’s all about performance because one or two games on One X dropped a few frames more than the Pro due to a far higher resolution. No suddenly frames and consistency are irrelevant it’s all about 30FPS graphical showcases.

Goalposts just move constantly no matter what.

5 Likes

In the context, Xbox One launch was hurt badly with their policies and marketing.

You are correct in that sense that goalposts change but for this launch Xbox Series X has every base covered apart from that Next Gen Showcase. I think a game like Ryse showcasing the power would have been perfect for Series X.

I am not saying its all Doom & Gloom and we know games are coming in the future but as it stands in terms of the launch showcase nothing has truly showcased the power of Xbox Series X

2 Likes

There’s no reason for anything to look better on PS5 unless the developer basically intentionally cripples the SX version.

Everything the ps5 gpu can do, the SX one can do faster.

4 Likes

Imagine how the launch lineup of the Xbox console after this generation could look like though with so many studios now. Xbox has never had this many and a launch lineup for the generation after this could be quite promising.

But I’ll leave it at that, the thought of that is slightly depressing because I rather not imagine my age around that time, lol. We’re here and now and this upcoming gen is looking incredibly promising with all these studios.

Almost everyone is in agreement that better performance is a priority, it’s what is being shown at the expense of that higher framerates, there’s atrocious pop in that we were promised were going away. The argument isn’t that the game looks bad therefore series x bad, it’s a passive case for skepticism regarding the novelty of 120fps on console and what is being sacrificed to achieve that ideal. Dirt 5 looks visually fine but I’m sorry, that pop in is just not it, the track is loading feet away from the car and shadows loading in all over the place. It’s an asset streaming problem, not a visual one and people are responding to that promise of performance and just coming to terms with what was necessary to achieve that.

2 Likes

We get console gameplay at 4k60 and showcasing 120fps and yall are crying that it doesnt look “next gen enough”. Graphic whores have ruined gaming.

3 Likes

It’s true Microsoft hasn’t show first-party next-gen only games, but neither has Sony, because after backtracking their “we believe in generations” babbling, I won’t believe in any supposedly next-gen game footage they have shown (which aren’t even ready for release on PS5 launch, by the way).

Both are in the exact same situation.

1 Like

I think Demon souls and R&C only on PS5

That is exactly how I see it as well.

120fps is gonna be great for a game like Ori 2, really curious to find out what it’s like to play it like that on my C9. But not every game needs it, absolutely not, not when the cutbacks are this bad. I expect the next FH game to do away with 30fps and be 60fps and that’s absolutely fine, really doesn’t need 120fps because let’s not kid ourselves FH5 isn’t gonna be as visually striking in 120fps compared to 60fps.

So I hope to focus on 4K and 60fps for that. I know we always say options are good, but between quality and performance mode in Dirt 5 I don’t even see that big of a difference. So I wonder if the game was made focused around 120fps. It’s really cool that the system can handle it…but I would say it’s absolutely not the end all be all.

1 Like

Honestly think 120fps is a marketing feature for this Gen. If we can get games consistently running close to 4k 60, it would be a great achievement.

2 Likes

It’s a remaster that gives me no reason to call it next-gen, though. The fact that it’s PS5 only isn’t reason enough to call it that way - remember, Sony said that Miles Morales and HZD 2 were next-gen only.

they didn’t promise 120fps they said up to 120fps

It doesn’t matter if it’s remake or not lol all the hype for DS because of graphics( it looked next gen) and it’s souls game also not many people played this one.

also tell me why do you think people were hyped for MFS 2020 ? one of the reasons because of it’s Graphics

Sorry, dude, nothing I saw on the DS remaster footage (which is the only first-party PS5 only game on release day) convinced me to call it next-gen. I don’t think I need to repeat that again.

And yes, I stress that it is a remaster - if it were Microsoft releasing a remastered IP as a Series X/S only game that gave no reason to call it “next-gen”, everybody would calling it exactly what it is.

2 Likes

I had the same reaction. I was like “ok, so this is it. Hmmm” and I could be wrong but some things like foliage seemed static, and I believe this always sways around in Souls games, it’s the small things that add up to the bigger picture.

I did like some of the lighting when he went inside though.

4 Likes

This game looks terrible!!!

Exactly.

Nothing I saw was THAT impressive to give me reason to call it really next-gen.

4 Likes

You are nuts, the 4k 60fps mode looks really good and if you are judging it based off the 120 FPS mode then that is just silly, of course 120 fps is going to be cut back.