DigitalFoundry - Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Next-Gen Analysis

Okay sounds good. Hopefully the tools start getting improved soon. I hopefully imagine that Fall 2021 titles might see the biggest benefit.

Not like much is coming out in 2021 since everything has been shimmy-shammed by COVID.

I can’t think of any 2021 multiplat titles off the top of my head other than Far Cry 6.

The magic of VRR because I have noticed 0 tearing on my OLED.

4 Likes

It’s pretty obvious at this point. Covid has hit hard.

From BC games to enhanced BC games and new cross gen titles. It’s pretty clear that devs didn’t have enough time to optimise each and every console equally.

Many BC games are having 120 fps patch for series X but not for PS5. Why?

Observer has RT on PS5 but not present on series X. Why?

DMC5- SE was supposed to have RT patch on series X at a later date but finally received it on launch and marginally performed better on series X at the end. Also, performance is better on PS5 in other modes. Why?

AC Valhalla has lower frames on series X when compared to PS5. Why?

The answer is simple. Covid has hit hard.

Phil has said it before, he was more concerned about software due to pandemic. Sony is also having issues on OS level.

I’d imagine it will be summer at the latest. By GDC the tools should be basically finalized and in the months after devs will be harnessing them properly.

1 Like

Very early XDK is the reason for these performance discrepancies, nothing more.

Game still performs magnificent imo on the Series X.

1 Like

From the other thread:

A few games running slightly better on PS5 this early in the game does not mean what you said at all. Especially when we know MS tools were/are late. If this is not trolling I don’t know what is.

1 Like

Getting a lot of complaints from these discussions right now. If you are no longer adding anything meaningful to a conversation but are venting repeatedly, please stop. Feel free to discuss reasons, causes, solutions, etc to the issue. This forum isn’t a venting ground. Other places on the internet for that.

10 Likes

Still waiting on John to get back to me, but also found this. This is from a cpl months ago:

“Every single developer I’ve spoken to developing for PlayStation 5 has been evangelizing how easy it is to work for. It’s essentially the same development environment as PlayStation 4 and you scale up from there for the new power, the features and whatnot.”

"There’s no doubt that on paper the Xbox Series X is more powerful. However, speaking to developers, the development environment they’re dealing with…some people seem to be extremely happy with it, other people are having problems with it. Microsoft has moved away from what was previously the XDK, which was specific for Xbox, to the GDK, which is a more general development environment for PC, Xbox Series S/X, and Xbox One.

The long-term win with the GDK is that you’re going to be able to develop for and deploy for all of these different systems. But in the short-term, I have heard some developers having some problems with it, and whether all that is going to manifest in final games is the big question."

-Richard Leadbetter

2 Likes

They switched from XDK–>GDK actually. That is part of the issue. :wink:

4 Likes

Yep and GDK just went out to big devs. Indies are still waiting according a dev who was on RDX yesterday. There are “problems” with the GDK according to the dev. Next update will be this winter.

I think people need to accept both consoles came in hot. Both pieces of hardware are having challenges in different ways. Devs are having challenges in different ways. Nobody is firing on all cylinders right now. They’re doing the best they can to provide what they have. These things will all sort themselves out in time. In the short term, consumers have a choice to be early adopters and deal with the issues or wait until things are ironed out to jump into next gen.

4 Likes

I try to avoid Dealer/RTX…ugh. Guess I’ll check it out.

for tearing screen just mean ubi devs did a bad jop as for the rest of the stuff we can blame GDK for now

1 Like

I want to finish Odyssey before I get this but I would like to know in case that by the time I buy this game the issues aren’t fixed yet will screen tearing be a problem for me if my TV has VRR? Anyway I wonder why MS doesn’t have everything in place yet, I know there’s a pandemic but still what would be a legit reason why their tools aren’t up to speed yet?

depends when MS solve this issue if this continues to 2022 then it’s huge problem. like most of 2021 games will be cross gen. i think XSX is using it’s CPU at 3.8GHz but without SMT because it’s cross gen title while PS5 use SMT all of the time

The frame rate disparities are interesting because what that says to me is the CPU on Series X has to work much harder. This is mostly likely due to decompression. Decompression efficiencies exist in both consoles to offload work but my theory is that currently on Xbox, they aren’t using Velocity, sampler feedback, etc. where as devs are getting the efficiency gains on PS5.

It should be reminded that there are some very impressive (on paper) features of Series X which aren’t being leveraged yet. Mesh shaders, VRS, sampler feedback, ML resolution upscaling…these aren’t in play yet. Be patient…or don’t. Just know that Microsoft waited for the hardware and overhauled to it’s new GDK due to their focus on the long game.

3 Likes

I don’t believe this continues into 2022. Not like this. There will be consistent updates and upgrades to the tools throughout the gen. If issues like this persist into late 2021, we cross that bridge at that time. No point in hand wringing until then. We’ve been here before. Usually the major strides are made in the first year. This isn’t exotic hardware architecture.

2 Likes

One of the most interesting things is that even without using VA, the SSD loading times in this and other cross-platform games are close, or even a little faster on XSX.

If its that fast now, without using VA, then…this will be a good generation for Xbox.

2 Likes

so we should expect better performance when RE VII and FC 6 Drops

Far Cry 6 I could see, but I have no faith in Capcom after rushing out DMCVSE. Granted it’s a new RE entry, but we have no idea how bad COVID has impacted RE’s development.

All we have is Dusk Golem’s word that it was working fine on the Series X (better than PS5) but we have to take that as sus at this time. Sony has marketing for RE8, but they did also for DMCVSE and it performed 3 out 4 better on SX.

I would say let’s wait till next year when the vaccines start allowing people back into offices.

Worst case scenario is that I spent $500 to run back compat games really good and 23 first party studio games in the future.

However, I think the games are so close in performance I really don’t think it matters. Only thing that really happens is MS takes a blackeye on marketing, which can be rebranded and rebooted once the big games start coming, which is really the issue here.

Once the first party stuff starts coming, unless the PC version runs markidly better, I don’t think people are going to care. Psychonauts 2 is an easy win for the X vs PS4. Flight Sim on console will be great even if the top-of-the-line PC runs it better. The Medium could be either way but there’s no version to compare it to.

All of this ends when the games start coming. Yes we have to wait.

2 Likes

Was sadly expecting this. Actually was expecting slightly worse. Some websites and YouTube channels was saying the XSX had a slightly lower resolution and worse performance, so for this to be just slightly lower performance is a relief.

Not going to lie though, the screen tearing is pretty annoying.

I have to agree. We can mention XDK, etc all day long, but for every game to perform worse on Xbox is not a good sign.

2 Likes