Celebrating Pride Month with XboxEra

Hello everyone,

As many may be aware of June is pride month. To celebrate this we’re doing something special for our community. XboxEra is an inclusive place where everyone irrespective of race, gender or sexuality should be able to enjoy our community and the games we play. This is why we’re doing a giveaway and everyone on the forums has a chance to win.

First of all I want to do a shoutout to some games to play during this month all available on Xbox Game Pass:

• Ikenfell

Available on Xbox Game Pass for console and PC, Ikenfell is an openly queer tactical RPG about friendship, acceptance and love.

• Undertale

Available on Xbox Game Pass for console and PC, Undertale is an entirely different game made by Toby Fox about a character who has fallen into the Underground. It’s a top down RPG with a gender fluid hero.

• Tell Me Why

Available for free for everyone during Pride Month on Xbox, Steam and Windows 10. Also available on Xbox Game Pass for console and PC. Tell Me Why is the first game by a large publisher featuring a trans protagonist. But, the main themes of the game aren’t focusing on this, but on community, grief and love.

The Queer Games Bundle 2021

Before we get to the XboxEra giveaway I want to give a shoutout to the itch.io queer bundle. Queer Games Bundle 2021 by Queer Games Bundle and 195 others - itch.io

If we had 1/3rd of the budget of an AAA game, we could give every solo developer a livable wage for a year and every single team a massive funding boost. Imagine what the developers and artists in this bundle could create a year from now if they weren’t worried about starving or how to pay their rent this month.

Purchasing the Queer Games Bundle is a direct action that you can take right now to support queer people in a life changing way and in exchange you get over 200 amazing, heartfelt, fun, and radical games.

Help nurture our diverse queer arts community, fund the creation of the next great game you love, and find your new favorite game by purchasing the bundle today < 3

Oh, and check out the official Xbox Gear shop: Xbox PRIDE – Xbox Gear Shop and maybe we should even push Microsoft a bit so they release the pride controller to the public.

XboxEra Giveaway

Now, to celebrate Pride Month and interactive media that helps understanding and acceptation XboxEra is encouraging members of the community to play games mentioned above (or one of the many others; Gayming Magazine - For gaymers everywhere is a great source for this!)

To celebrate this we’ve got 4 codes for Life is Strange: Before the Storm on Xbox to give away to our community. If you want a chance to win this game post a comment in this thread. Bonus chances if you tell us about some of the LGBTQ+ games you’ve played in the past.

BONUS GIVEAWAY: Thanks to the amazing @Cerysnetics we’ll also be giving away a copy of 2064: Read Only Memories. This is a cyberpunk thriller about the social challenges of the future.

36 Likes

Wonderful to see!

Great game too, I allready own it so no need to participate in the giveaway. Good luck to everyone else!

4 Likes

Thanks! Hope there are still people who haven’t played it who would like a copy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Played Ikenfall last year on Gamepass and it’s criminally overlooked. Game gave me major Steven universe vibes (the composer worked on the show) and I loved the way the game just normalized the usage of pronouns, and made all the characters so relatable.

I’ve watched my GF play Dream Daddy and some boys love games here and there.

My favorite WRPG of the past five years and my favorite JRPG of the same time frame both have LGBT characters. Outer Worlds and Fire Emblem 3 houses.

I will critique 3 houses that despite having some same sex relationships the game does a lot of baiting of characters being Lesbian, Gay or Bi which can get tiresome even if it’s clear what the intent is.

5 Likes

Life is Strange: Before the Storm is well worth playing if you enjoyed the original game.

5 Likes

Make sure to not only like the thread, but also post a comment if you want to win a code for the game. It’s a code for the entire season.

This way I know if you want to win it!

4 Likes

Good luck to whoever wins, game is great. Have my Master Chief pride shirt on order. I look forward to the future where Pride is the norm and the LGBTQ+ community do not have to live in fear for being who they are. Not sure if/when we’ll get there but damnit I hope we do.

5 Likes

I have never played a Life is Strange game believe it or not despite hearing good things about the series.

I did play Tell Me Why last year and I thought the developers handled the subject matter well, although I am by no means an expert about it. A pretty good game as well that looks really pretty on the One X and definitely the Series X since I imagine it would clean up some of the performance issues.

3 Likes

I played a bit of Ikenfell on gamepass a good while ago and it was pretty charming in art style and the combat was interesting too but I never got far enough to know enough story and grasp the themes, but I’ve been seeing this game pop up on lists for Pride Month lately so that was cool to learn about, might get back and finish it sometime!

4 Likes

Best of luck to whoever wins (I’ve already played through LiS:BtS)

Before the Storm is a very solid game. It’s experience is up there with the first Life is Strange. The sound track was a nice touch too.

3 Likes

This is awesome! I’ve played undertale and loved it! Such a great game! I need to start ikenfell.

4 Likes

Nice people! Keep 'm coming.

2 Likes

Amazing game with tight platforming and an intriguing story about depression and facing yourself and your fears. I absolutely love this game and it was GOTY 2018 for me.

5 Likes

And part of Xbox Game Pass too! Good shout.

1 Like

Great idea, I would post more but I’m in bed, I shall wall of text you all in the morning.

Some gentle, polite and respectful nagging about that pride controller would be lovely too. According the Katy Jo Wright in last weeks women of xbox podcast the pride pin they sold at e3 some years ago was the first pin they ever had to sell out. This controller with a portion of sales to the Trevor Project or Mermaids would sell out like hot cakes filled with Cannabis.

:rainbow_flag:

6 Likes

Happy Pride month everyone. Happy to see XboxEra repping.

3 Likes

a lot of great games there :+1:

maybe?!

4 Likes

Cool to see you guys highlight this stuff!

3 Likes

I think Bully was the first game where I noticed lgbt characters, given that the protagonist can kiss boys and girls. It’s not that deep, but it was really cool for me to see that. There’s even an achievement to kiss 20 boys :joy:

2 Likes

Loved the first Life is Strange, but never played the others in the series. Ikenfell is in my backlog. I’ll get to it sometime…

2 Likes