XboxEra Community Hangout |OT3| Setting Low Expectations

Sony’s investment in Unreal is NOT for games, it’s for vfx and virtual production because Sony does movies and entertainment as well. The demo was surely hyped to seem like there was something particularly unique about PS5 in realizing that demo which it wasn’t, but that’s Sony’s marketing for you.

Im pretty sure that was done because the ps5 was not in the news for weeks and xbox was getting all the PR.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Zel_has_arrived/status/1401586110145306627

Is it known that Ske7ch was definitively referring to this “minimal/lack of campaign presence” thing at E3 when he was debunking “insider rumors”

and it’s funny how Xbox shall have an amazing round of PR for months and Sony does one thing and literally the entire internet shifts to them and all the doomposting starts lol. In that sense, they do appear to require far less resources and effort for the marketing to just sway their way and they just take advantage of that. Didn’t help that Epic and Sony were getting buddy buddy as of late which helped make it easier.

I see more people saying the rumor is not true. All we’ve been told is that the focus is MP, not that there’s no campaign at all. But I guess this could still fall under minimal.

Soon!

1 Like

We’re doing a giveaway in celebration of Pride Month. We’ve got four Xbox keys for Life is Strange: Before the Storm to giveaway to our forum community. Check it out below:

Celebrating Pride Month with XboxEra

8 Likes

ILM and Epic are pretty close anyway.

Off-topic-

It is just mind bggling that two of the stalwarts of the animation and special effects industry are under Disney (and were invented at Lucasfilm).-- ILM and PIxar.

2 Likes

UE5 is immature?

There is nothing immature about any version of Unreal.

It is brand new, and will affect the tool chain of all the devs who were working on UE4. That is all. Imagine having to use a brand new set of tools for the task you have been doing for years.

It is new with features in Global Illumination, mesh-tech and so on. But don’t underestimate UE5 for any other engine in the industry. It is state of the art for a general purpose engine, and has the best middleware tech. They are a mile ahead of any general purpose engine tech.

This tech is used from everything from small games, rpgs, first person, third person, and everything in between. It is also used in movie virtual backgrounds tech.

When game devs use their own engine (like Decima), it is usually because they are comfortable doing that. They would have it customized the engine and the tool-chain for their console too. If Bend is new to Decima, it does not matter whether they use Decima or UE, then.

The only advantage with studios not using UE5 so far has been - being independent of Epic’s development and release schedule dor UE5. Once UE5 is in the hands of devs, this custom-engine advantage no longer exists.

It is a beta release and still in development. So yes, its immature. It likely has incomplete parts, bugs, and other things that will negatively impact development efficiency that you would not have with a non-beta proruct.

I am not saying anything negative about UE5, it looks amazing. Its just not done.

2 Likes

Are people shy, has everyone played Before the Storm already or what? :smiley: Seems like I’ll be stuck with some Xbox One codes this way!

1 Like

not sure what gives you the confidence to say this lol, you know Josh Sawyer literally posted recently about how surprised he was regarding UE5 getting the hex-based level streaming tech that has existed in Creation Engine for like, ever? Unreal is not meant for everyone, and the tech Unreal Engine 5 shall have like Nanite and Lumen are not gonna be exclusive to it as others find their own solutions similar to it in the coming years as well. Godot already does SDFGI similar to Lumen and it’s fully open source.

Studios aren’t also gonna throw away decades of deep pipeline integrations in favor of Unreal no matter how appealing it is.

1 Like

Woah, when/where did he say that?! That is some old school SNES era Nintendo type shit if true!

why the obvious bait headline?

Clicks. Engagement.

2 Likes

I mean, I did share it here, so task successful I guess lmao

2 Likes

He clarified saying he never actually said that people took it out of context

1 Like

Clicks obviously

I was talking about someone like Bend making a first time choice between Decima and UE5. Is there an advantage one way or the other for them? Probably not.

Do I disagree with Josh Sawyer - absolutely not, considering that the streaming tech that Creation Engine uses has been top of the line for some time.

At the end of the day, people use custom engine for things that they want minute control over.:

1. Creation - for overall world streaming
  2. id - for fast overall graphics
  3. Hades engine - built off XNA for their custom isometric and responsive gameplay

This is besides their investment in current pipelines, which surprisingly now exist even for the UE4 versus UE5 versions.

If you don’t need these specific tailor-made requirements, or have not invested in an engine, you will look at a general purpose engine like UE. Like inXile would, for instance.

At this point, if a studio wants to make a choice between Creation versus idTech versus UE, there is not much difference for them. As their skill-distance is the same to each of these.

The underlying geometry manipulation and lighting tech is another story altogether.

I’m sorry if I offend anyone, but a lot of people here are easy pickings for these kind of headlines. It works every time.

1 Like

It is not for me to say it does or does not have bugs. But it will certainly affect the dev pipeline. Coalition is taking time off just to adjust their entire pipeline and optimization learnings to UE5.