Bloomberg Japan: PS5 Production cut by 4 million Units. Cites yield issues *update* Sony responds

That’s the only part i would partially disagree with. There could be a lot of different agreements in place. We know from a fact, that it was different back in the days and how Microsoft got screwed over by Nvidia.

So who is the customer and designer and who is licensing what and paying royalties. You can pay 100% of R&D and take 100% of yield risk, or you can make it more like a joint venture and pay higher royalties to AMD. Especially if you have a lot of knowledge in house that can vary. Take Apple for example who they went from getting chips from someone else to partner with other, to make everything in house.

Very good post tho.

Ok

Sort of, maybe. It all depends on Sony. The lower yield number could be due to Sony being stricter on the production. @TheScarecrow101 correct me if I am wrong here: There is a possibility the chips can hit their performance target but not within the cooling/power (noise) target. So the chips aren’t defective per say, they just won’t provide the performance at the lower cooling/noise level Sony wants. Sony could then ease those restrictions and let the PS5 to sound like a jet engine which would allow for more of the produced chips to be used.

Yes. Some of the unusable chips could be used if they add more power but that generates more heat and with a already defined thermal envelope, it would charge performance metrics. Also adding more power may not be possible with the internal power supply already in the PS5. Too many variables.

2 Likes

They wanted 2.3Ghz* GPU clock speeds…there ya go!

*Variable

Never heard of this account.

On checking it’s followed by Nolan Bushnell of Atari fame and Jason Ronald (xsx pm)

It’s it legitimate or not?

Maybe some information are correct but those people are console warriors who turn every piece of information to criticize one console they don’t like (Playstation) and praise their favourite console (Xbox). Even if it’s a random YouTube or Reddit comment with no real source. As long as it fits the narrative.

Seriously!

Jason Ronald aka Xbox beard guy - follows misterXmedia

Hi there,

I have a question, very simple, why games media aren’t investigating more about PS5?

How BC works?

How the 2.23ghz GPU is working? How is it cooled?

Why NOT ONE games media is even questioning this design?

I remember a thread on ERA, when the Github leaks happened, everybody was saying that PS5 with 36CU couldn’t be clocked more than 2ghz because of cooling and if that was the case, it would be bad design…

Guess what, that’s EXACTLY what happened, but now it’s not bad design anymore… for some it’s genius!

As I said, Xbox have shown EVERYTHING, I have no question about Serie X or S… but I have a lot about PS5…

7 Likes

There’s too much smoke for they not having any troubles. Specially the somewhat hard fact stepping data. They were making revisions to their soc up to almost the last minute possible.

Then there’s reports of devkits over heating, the size of the box being enormous for the specs, and not a single non devkit console in sight where people have been testing SX in their homes since before last December.

It could be all fake but I dunno. Doubt it will impact any of their launch plans too, likely just their bottom line.

5 Likes

We all need a good laugh every now and then.

1 Like

Unfortunately we all know why.

You only need to look at how the BS rumor said by a single person in a single forum pertaining to Xbone yields gained way more traction than the countless reports of ps5 having production problems for months.

4 Likes

What rumour r u talkin’ about? I didn’t followed everything :slight_smile:

Hopefully tomorrow’s event has a teardown of the console or at least reveals it physically (not just a render). I’m really curious to see what’s going on under those curves. :slight_smile:

No he follows that blue nugroho account, which does appear to have a preference for xbox from examining it.

If it was coming from Bloomberg News there would be reason to be concerned on the Xbox side too.

Back in 2013, one insider made a single post about how xbone yields were super bad. And it blew up, many of the tech related sites reported it, and it turned out to be complete BS, Ms even increased the clocks of the console.

The post in question was literally:

Esram yields are troubling to put it lightly. Ms will downclock the chip.

Now for ps5 there has been countless reports and leaks about production issues for months now and in general its whisper quiet.

10 Likes

That is…genuinely interesting, lol. MisterXMedia or whatever was a pro-Xbox crackpot who thought there was a hidden GPU in X1 somewhere. He was basically a conspiracy theorist who became a sorta Sony fan meme back in the day. It is strange that those two ppl follow him. I’m actually jealous, haha.

An early 5nm die shrink means MS can potentially go with a 4 or 3mn process, which is why I’m skeptical they’d go to 5nm this early. I think both go for 4nm with slim versions in 2023.

Ok, never heard about this one, I think games media will talk about this PS5 issue, it will be eazy clicks for them