Amazon Cancels Lord of the Rings Game Announced Two Years Ago

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-17/amazon-cancels-lord-of-the-rings-game-announced-two-years-ago

7 Likes

look, what a mess Google and Amazon made

:crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Why am I not suprised ?

2 Likes

Third cancelled game by Amazon (Breakaway, Crucible and now this)

4 Likes

Google and Amazon join the industry, K-I-L-L-I-N-G.

I had no idea this was a thing prior, but how is it possible to be this much of a trainwreck? Have they even gotten a single thing right?

2 Likes

We gonna question Jason’s sources and integrity with this as a video game journalist?

Just got to wait for the Amazon LunaTics to storm the social media sites now…

3 Likes

2 Likes

Didn’t even know it existed, that being said I thought they were making an mmorog called new worlds?

Seems odd to make 2 brand new mmorpgs…

They prob wanted the tie in to their $465 million LOTR TV Series.

LOTR has a really great track record with video games. I’ve enjoyed every LOTR game I’ve played. Amazon just continues to drop the ball more and more.

1 Like

Time to sound the Horn of Gondor!

Why couldn’t have had a SP open world RPG based on LOTR?

Seriously, someone at Amazon Game Studios needs to get a grip and convince management that you don’t start in the gaming industry by creating the largest, best and most ambitious games on the planet.

Start humble. Build a fanbase, build good studios. You don’t start by making World of Warcraft, Destiny 2 and Grand Theft Auto competitors…

2 Likes

Killer Instinct died for this?

8 Likes

Out of touch, rock-headed leadership is almost impossible to overcome. I doubt that anyone there can convince the brass of anything.

That same rock-headed leadership probably saw a theoretical potential of exponentially more money in the MP realm, completely ignoring the current reality that their studio hasn’t shown the ability to even make a small scale great game.

2 Likes

Crucible, which was canceled after coming out :crazy_face:

My god, this is also the fault of the IP owner. Give your IP to companies and studios who understand the industry.

4 Likes

Even worse.

It was put back in beta, then cancelled. Lol

1 Like

Thankfully, I have zero interest in Amazon (or Google for that matter) when it comes to gaming. I’ll stick with Xbox and PlayStation.

1 Like