Activision rumored to be releasing the next Three Call of Duty's on Playstation (Two Mainline Games, Warzone 2.0 in 2023)

No CoD marketing rights are done in 5 year chunks. It ends in 2023.

I haven’t played it yet but the CoD community were really high on Vanguard at launch. Certainly had a better reception than Cold War.

Always with the Tom Henderson tweets do they not show up properly.

Didn’t we agree we mostly don’t care about CoD outside of what it will do to grow Xbox. I have abandoned hope I’ll truly enjoy the series again.

Yeah I’m thinking about the 2023 cods after close.

The normal seasonal stuff should work fine.

This could free another studio to do another kind of game, while one is in 4 years of dev, other one is building a new IP while other is preparing for the follow-up CoD.

1 Like

Man… if there was a time for Xbox to look for support studios…

2 Likes

I wonder if Warzone 2 is being made to divorce Warzone content from the annual releases.

Warzone relies heavily on the main game tie-ins so I wonder if Warzone 2.0 drops last gen, and just focuses on standalone support with nothing gained from the tie-ins with mainline titles.

Go read Tom Henderson’s Twitter

I CAN’T BECUASE HIS TWEETS NEVER DISPLAY RIGHT ON HERE BECAUSE HE HAS THAT DAMN UNDERSCORE IN HIS USERNAME.

Sony Marketing/DLC deals block the signee from added games to Game Pass until a year after the release date.

All CODs expect for MW2 will be added to Game Pass when the deal closes.

MW2 will have to be added in Fall 2023.

Treyarch’s 2023 COD will have to be added in Fall 2024

If they’re still doing yearly COD in 2024, COD 2024 will be added day 1.

1 Like

Well, let’s hope MS are clear about their plans post acquisition.

1 Like

I think Microsoft goes back to the negotiating table for Treyarch 2023.

Having all the 2023 titles release Day 1 on GamePass except for 2023 CoD is a no-go.

It would be weird for everything to be Day 1 on GamePass* (Except for CoD gotta wait one more year)

I highly doubt this is true. Having worked in a corporation with many contracts and subcontracts, they vary greatly with each and every supplier. It’s not like terms and conditions that a person would sign on a regular basis, it’s a very custom process. A corporation with as much leverage as Activision had with Call of Duty would be very unlikely to sign anything super restrictive for their options.

If 2023 is the tail end of the 5 year deal, 2019 would be when it was signed, which was only 1 year in the “Day 1 on GamePass” for first party and a time where no major 3rd party game AAA was launching Day 1 on GamePass.

There could be the slimmest chance that it could be Day 1 on GamePass because it’s part of a contract signed 5 years ago.

1 Like

But what do I know?

:clown_face:

Microsoft can just reason gamepass is a streaming platform, like Stadia and thus they can release on whatever platforms they want. Sony didn’t buy timed exclusivity though…

1 Like

So 2024 is almost co firmed just as everyone had been saying. Definitely going exclusive then, no doubt in my mind!

Microsoft could always just make the game free if they won’t let it on gamepass. Huge revenue hit for sony

Maybe they will redeem themselves…… yeah probably not