Achievement Hunting |OT| Every point counts

Yeah, I’ve used this example before but Gone Home is one of my favorite games ever; I hate the idea of someone deciding it’s only worth 200 points because it’s not a “real” game unless you shoot a gun or climb 50 towers.

On the other hand you have Jack ‘N’ Jill DX or any number of other Ratalaika games… I’m not judging Jack ‘N’ Jill’s quality, it deserves to exist and have 1000 points as much as any other game. But to get all 1000 points requires about 10 minutes of playing a small fraction of the actual game. That to me is a bogus achievement list that Microsoft should be pushing back on if they’re interested in maintaining any kind of standard for gamerscore.

2 Likes

Arcade games will not come back. Such a separation would be catastrophic for the openess of the Xbox marketplace and ID@Xbox.

1 Like

Yeah there are a lot of small, but great games out there. So I guess the idea of less than 1000 is out the window… What else can be done? Since there are obvious games that only exist to sell to achievement hunters, Gamerscore has lost whatever point they had. Maybe there is something else that can be implemented to make hunting more fun?

We have talked about a “Platinum equivalent”, and that would be nice. Would have the same problem as Gamerscore though… It’s hard to make achievements more fun or rewarding without getting devs onboard.

Add Trueachievements value/ratio system. It’s not flawless but better than nothing.

3 Likes

Yeah, I suppose that could work. Wonder how that could be done… It’s a decent weighting system though, even though it has its flaws like you say.

That’s why I think they should have XRs for achievement list standards… and actually enforce them. Things like: Does this list encourage the player to experience everything the game has to offer? Is the time and effort required to finish this list appropriate to the kind of game that it is?

Obviously a walking simulator is not going to have skill based achievements in the traditional sense so the standards have to be based on the individual game. But like, if the game has 50 levels and you can complete the achievement list by playing the first 8… that’s a red flag.

1 Like

I mean yeah, in theory it is easy to identify the crap.

1 Like

Just takes manpower… and for Microsoft to actually care enough to want to enforce it. :man_shrugging:

Yeah… I fear achievements are in the same storage room as FPS Boost, BC and acquisitions :wink:

Anyone else just randomly get a 40G achievement for surviving mars? I haven’t even touched that game since i did the easy 1000G trick.

I got something a couple weeks or months ago, and don’t even have the game installed at that time.

1 Like

Same situation here, don’t have the game installed but it randomly popped when i was watching Netflix.

@BRiT @Thanathorn

Surviving Mars released new achievements one month ago. I had the same thing happened to me in Forza Horizon 3 when they release new achievements and I already met the requirements. Didn’t play the game for over a year.

2 Likes

Aw explains it. I won’t complain about free achievements anyway. :rofl:

Yep, popped for me yesterday morning. Xbox was not even turned on. The wonders of the server side managed achievement system. :slight_smile:

There’s alot of cool and lame things about achievement s currently, probably the best course of action is to not buy the culprits. Which is difficult at times because some are priced so well… At least we are still better than Playstation :joy:

1 Like

https://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-40033-gta-the-trilogy-the-definitive-edition-achievements-have-leaked.html

:echidnut: This looks great if it’s true

2 Likes

so_good

No online achievements.

5 Likes

Visage 1000/1000G :achievement:

First scary game done for spooky season. Forget that Stupid P.T. demo and just play this. If you enjoyed Layers of Fear definitely check this oot. Spooky, clever designed puzzles and a story that will have you searching YouTube videos to grasps what’s going on… Or maybe I’m just thick :smile:

Loads of missiables and a few buggy achievements, if anyone is wondering. Very low completion rate on True Achievements too.

Think I’m going to check out Scarlet Nexus and dabble in some Silent Hill 2 next.

2 Likes

Vice City is my Jam! Fingers crossed they aren’t stupidly priced.