Achievement Hunting |OT| Every point counts

0.000000%

3 Likes

I usually do a quick sanity check of the scanner results for our weekly and monthly points leaderboards and your 0 (zero!) stood out. I had to do a double take. Hope you have more gaming time soon!

1 Like

Probably rehashing old discussions, but what changes would you all want to achievements? I like the idea of a “Platinum” and a way to look at the games a profile has 100%'d.

1 Like

The platinum or completed games thing is good. My opinion is going towards its on the devs to make better achievement lists :sweat_smile: Maybe Xbox can have stricter rules on what achievements can be?

I also think there’s a bigger problem with ID@XBOX and what they find acceptable but that’s only partially related to achievements.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t have any particular wishes about the achievement system itself, other than the fact that the completed games list from the 360 dash would be nice to have back. Maybe even a customizable “trophy wall” on your profile just like on TA. But I’m happy with the system really. I definitely don’t want a Sony-style leveling system which is the other thing people often request.

I would like Microsoft to re-examine their standards for achievements and decide on a course of action regarding gamerscore-mill publishers. I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe games don’t pass cert if the achievement list is trivial and you can unlock everything in a few minutes without even experiencing the game.

By the same notion, none of the achievements should take more than 1 week to accomplish. All those obscene grinding ones like Gears Seriously shouldn’t be allowed. And I say that having the Seriously 3.0 achievement. I think PlayStation has some Terms & Conditions around their Trophies not being grindy. It would be good to see that come to Xbox.

1 Like

There should be a distinction between “real” games and the crap, like it was on 360 where arcade games did not give a 1000 GS. I’m fine with the fodder getting as low as 200 GS. The inflation ruins everything.

2 Likes

While I’m with you guys with wanting something to show completions similar to Playstation’s Platinum trophy, I honestly don’t want them to start putting limitations around what kinds of achievements are available, or forcing developers to have achievements only take between X and Y time to complete. Sometimes I like achievements that are super grindy and take weeks or more of playing just to get the one, and sometimes I like being able to sit down with a game for an hour and unlock 1000GS.

The idea of going back to 200GS for some games seems like an okay idea except there are some indie games that would end up with 200GS that feel like more complete games than stuff from big studios that would get 1000GS.

As for “the inflation ruins everything” my opinion is that it absolutely doesn’t because achievements don’t mean anything. If (outside of the 10k GS for $10 events) they gave you any sort of reward for your achievements then I could understand being upset by them, but not as-is. I’ve heard people (especially on TrueAchievements) say that achievements don’t mean anything anymore, which is a misleading statement. Achievements never meant anything, and they likely never will. They’re just a fun mechanic that got added into games that some people enjoy getting and some people couldn’t care less about.

My opinion is: if you think the “fodder” games are ruining achievements then don’t play those games. If you think super grindy achievements are ruining achievements then don’t play those games, or at least don’t go for those achievements. Does that mean you’ll have fewer completions on your profile? Maybe. But you know what completions are worth? Absolutely nothing.

I mean, obviously achievements doesn’t have a deeper meaning or purpose. Do you think that is what I think? We are on a gaming forum, in an achievement thread and that is the context in which this is discussed. If we could only care about the most important stuff, climate change is the only allowed topic I guess. Not super fun, or relevant. I hate the dismissal of everything that matters even a little bit to people like this.

We all know it is games and nothing about it matters in the grander scheme of things, jfc. That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have some meaning to some people.

1 Like

I’m down for a Trophy showcase or something for completions

2 Likes

I’m pretty lassez faire in most takes, but I’d be for restricting indie games from using easy gamer score as a selling point.

The whole “gamerscore isn’t worth money” argument doesn’t hold up well when people are buying cheap games for their 2 hour 1,000 GS. Can’t stress enough that I don’t care about GS either.

I’m ok with super long grinds because for some people that’ll be a really special thing to pursue.

You know what would be awesome? If all games had achievements for sharing amazing photos or great videos.

2 Likes

Wow, seems I struck a nerve. Might want to take a look at your life to see what’s causing you to be so quick to jump on someone just for saying that achievements have no value and therefore it doesn’t matter if games have easy achievements.

Yes, achievements have meaning to some people, but that meaning was created by those people. If you attribute some value to achievements for yourself that’s fine, but don’t get all pissy when I saw they don’t have value for me, and certainly don’t get pissy when I say that achievements shouldn’t be remade in a way that suites your self-prescribed value that not everyone agrees with.

Oh god, I’d hate that. I’m one of those people that almost never uses photo mode, and on the incredibly rare occasion that I do I never go back to look at any of the old photos. Nothing against those that do use them, but I’d personally hate for a bunch of games to suddenly have achievements for using photo mode.

Yeah, that was a bit of a rant wasn’t it. I took out some frustration on you and your post and for that I apologize. I might not agree with you, but I went off a bit.

1 Like

That’s fair, it happens to everyone from time to time, and I appreciate the apology.

With that said, it also wasn’t my intention to upset anyone, which I likely did. I was just saying my piece on the topic which I know doesn’t align with the opinions of many in the achievement hunting community.

1 Like

Bring back the achievement page from the 360 dash where you could see your finished games. Or a trophy case like TA has. Events around achievements like TA does would also be nice to have.

How would this work? Who would made this distinction and by which criteria?

I have no idea tbh.

I like getting achievements but only in games I like. I’m not playing Hannah Montana or Barbie games for easy achievements. I’m definitely not buying shitty games just to get achievements.

I went back and started Assassins Creed Valhalla again while I go through Far Cry 6 so might be a slowish month. If I get 1000gs a month that’s a good month for me and I’m fine with that.

1 Like

Got the 1000gs in The Procession to Calvary. Had a lot more fun with the game and the achievements here than some grindy Ubisoft game. If you like puzzle games or point&click adventures with Monty Python painted all over it, you should try this out. Its pretty short and straightforward, took me maybe 3 hours :+1:

4 Likes

And this here is why I don’t think they should bring back “arcade” games. Games like this end up being a lot more fun than some of the big titles each year, and plenty of people think that way.

1 Like