120hz TV's and Monitors

My C9 has significantly less delay than my Samsung NU8000 with the same Bose surround sound system

1 Like

I just got CX. Which temperature color are you using? Most people recommend warm 2 but I think it looks too yellow?

Iā€™m using medium, I think it looks a lot more natural than warm 2

1 Like

I really want a new monitor soon, but donā€™t want to pay a fortune. My current one is like 900p, 60Hz.

Keep waffling between 75" 900h and 65" CX. I like the idea of the OLED but canā€™t get completely comfortable with burn in. I like the price and size of the 900h but waiting for the firmware update and reviews before Iā€™d consider it. Ah well we have time it seems.

Iā€™m looking at eveā€™s new 4K 144 hz monitor mostly. But there checkered past has stopped me from pre-ordering. If itā€™s legit than it will be hard to beat it. Hdr600, 1ms response time to go along. Asus also just announced they are going to have a hdmi 2.1 4K 144hz monitor this year. Not many details on it yet though.

I was going to have one in time for launch but with halo being delaying I might wait a couple more months to pick one up.

Iā€™m really into competitive shooters with my buddyā€™s. I canā€™t play them on a big screen. So monitor is the way to go for me. I do also play a lot of singleplayer games so having good image is also important to me.

1 Like

After giving it some thought, Iā€™m leaning toward picking up this 55-inch Sony X900H for my next-gen needs. Assuming the promised firmware update delivers on those prized HDMI 2.1 features (4K/120fps, VRR, eARC, ALLM), I should be reasonably future-proof, no?

On a related front, is there an ā€œentry-levelā€ (i.e., reasonably low-cost) soundbar that someone would recommend I pair with my next TV? (I apologize if asking about soundbars derails the thread a bit, but I didnā€™t want to make an entire other thread just to slip that question in.)

For those talking about monitors, you want to make sure you wait for one that has HMDA2.1 to get the full 4k/120hz experience via HMDI (if I am not mistaken). I believe ASUS ROG is going to have one but they it is not out yet (the last I checked). Others will as well.

Which TCL is it? Model number please? Looks nice

I was going to but I read that that company has had a hard time delivering things to people who pre order. In some cases they wait a year

I bought a Samsung 55Q80T recently because I was scared of burn in with 2 kids and an oled.

Great tv with great colors and HDR that pops. Massive upgrade over the LG SM9000 that I bought in January but had to get my money back as the screen and backlighting needed replacing.

One hdmi 2.1 socket is not great, but I will only be getting one console, so not the end of the world

I read the Company is really trying to right their wrongs from that last launch so I preordered. I havenā€™t heard any updates since preordering but know itā€™s supposed to launch in the 4th quarter of the year so I still have some time to wait. We will see.

1 Like

Just ordered my TCL 55R635 from Best Buy. Theyā€™re saying I should be able to pick it up on Sunday Aug. 30th. Iā€™m stoked! Now all I need is my Xbox Series X.

If you value HDR and the expanded color gamut I would recommend looking into monitors with VESA HDR certification (400/600/1000) that also meets your needs for refresh rates and response times.

[Edited: hit ā€œsendā€ on the phone early]

As an OLED owner and fan (aside from burn in potential with improper use) I think the HDR certification would help bridge the gap between other displays and many of the color benefits of OLED.

I have no specific, personal comparisons, though. Just the research Iā€™ve been doing for a work/play monitor in my home office.

Thinking very hard to upgrade from my 55 B7 to a 65 CX/C9 for the extra size and VRR.

Image quality I donā€™t expect to be much better as Iā€™m still often floored by mine but any improvement even if unnoticeable is welcome :stuck_out_tongue:

For those who were in the conversation earlier it is now confirmed that those TVs with the 40gbps HDMI 2.1 connections will NOT be able to push 4k, 120hz at 10bit 4:4:4 with HDMI enabled.

Sonyā€™s latest the 8k Z8H has this problem and the option is clear, you can choose between 4k 120hz or 4k 60hz with 10bit, HDR and 4:4:4 subsampling.

So far the only TVs Iā€™m aware that are affected are the 2020 LG CX and Sony Z8H.

In order to get the full next gen experience you need to ensure your TV or monitor has a full 48gbps bandwidth HDMI 2.1 port.

I was originally going to splurge out for the 55" LG CX OLED, but after finding out they downgraded the full 48Gbit bandwidth to 40, causing this issue you mentioned, I started to look elsewhere.

I donā€™t have a great amount of faith in Vizio, in comparison to the better brands like LG and Samsung, but apparently their 2020 OLED has the full 48 Gbit bandwidth needed for full use without any issues. Go figure that they are using the LG panel for their TV (since LG makes them), but, unlike LG, Vizio didnā€™t limit it to 40Gbit.

The price is lower by a few hundred dollars too, which is great. Now I just need to get over my resistance to buying a Vizio TVā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Just waiting for the comparison videos from the proā€™s to pick one to go with for the Series X launch.

Thereā€™s a few worth looking out for but I would say right now that other than maybe the LG C9 almost all HDMI 2.1 TVs have compromises elsewhere.

The Vizio does look decent but has some issues with image quality, check out the LTT reviewā€¦

LTT 2020 Vizio review

In my opinion the ones to watch are the followingā€¦

Sony XH90 (X900H in the US) - Full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 is being patched in soon.

2019 LG C9 - Closest to a no compromise HDMI 2.1 experience but lacking full VRR support.

TCL 2020 6 Series - A full mini LED set that looks to feature some really high end features and a decent price.

That review is for the P-Series Quantum X, so not the OLED thatā€™s coming out this year. No reviews out for that yet, as it hasnā€™t been released (obviously). I think itā€™s worth waiting for the comparison videos for that one. The difference in price is significant (anywhere between $500 and $800 cheaper than the LG CX model), so if youā€™re money-conscious like me, itā€™s worth waiting to check the pro reviews for the OLED model when it releases.

Hey Tom, Yes this is frustrating. I am thinking I may just pick up a 48" CX (rather than the 77" CX) since new models do not appear to have ā€œ4k, 120hz at 10bit 4:4:4ā€. Hopefully, by 2021, LG will have full 48gbps bandwidth, and maybe a few other improvements. The 48" monitor will just be a stop gap for about 10 months waiting on the new models. At which point I can make it my PC monitor. This time next year, I can upgrade the the Home Theater. Though, can I game on the 48" for that long in my office? UGGHHHHHHH!!! Damn you LG. Though this route seems better than going 77" at only 40gpbs since that is a longer term investment display. And what if LG doesnā€™t have 48gbps in 2021??? HA! SMH.