120hz TV's and Monitors

Am looking into purchasing a LG CX48 next year.

My room is small and I want the OLED quality while still being able to have room to work on the desk. Also higher pixel density is a plus on my book. The TV will have all the bells and whistles, like 120Hz and VRR.

For Dolby Digital it is fine, but you need to configure the ARC channel to “Passthrough”, otherwise it’ll lag.

For Dolby Atmos your soundbar/receiver needs to support eARC and you need to enable it in the configuration, otherwise it’ll have delay.

I have an LG soundbar, ARC only, and Dolby Atmos from the X1X doesn’t work properly, it is delayed.

I just built a PC 2 months ago and just using a normal 60hz. I’ll pick up a 120 hz when I pay off my computer. lol

It reportedly is but any mention of how it works has been removed. With Sony pushing 2.1 on this year’s range I wouldn’t hold out hope on an update, they would rather push you to buying a new set.

Yes, that is unfortunate but true. Apparently some guy posted his X950G running 2.1 on AVN Forums but Sony had them take it down. I guess the board is capable of running 1440p at 120fps but not 4k 120fps. Either way I would take it, I’m not trying to replace my 85’ TV I bought a year ago smh.

I"ve got a 2018 QLED which can output 120mhz at 1440 and looks pretty good when displaying 4k content at that output.

While not as good as an OLED by far I am very satisfied with the peak brightness in HDR games.

VRR from 48hz to 120hz in a QLED 4k screen? I’m sold, and only $899 too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-65-class-6-series-mini-led-qled-4k-uhd-smart-roku-tv/6424216.p?skuId=6424216

Those will be great TVs for sure, as I own an older TCL 6 series currently and love it with my Xbox One X. I will note that this is not a true 120 Hz panel though, rather supports that refresh rate through some means. Of course getting a true 120 Hz panel would require a TCL 8 series later this year for twice as much money or so most likely or another manufacturer for much more money too.

I thought this was a true 120hz panel? it’s rated for their 480 motion plus which normally means the base is at least 120

I don’t believe it is, but I would be thrilled if it actually was if someone can get confirmation from somewhere.

Last years, the 2019 model was 60hz, this new one if it supports vrr up to 120 has to be at least a 120 model. Makes no sense to claim otherwise. As far as I know this panel just released.

Ah i see the issue now, I don’t think it has hdmi 2.1 so while it can do 120 it can’t do 4k at the same time. *edit well I see things stating it DOES have hdmi 2.1… but tcl’s own page doesn’t say so for sure or not. hmmmm

Will be buying the 48" LG CX OLED in mid-September so I can get ready for next generation. May buy the 55" but right now, im leaning towards the 48". Can’t wait. Either way, it’s going to be glorious.

what do you guys think about de Samsung QLED Q70T?

I REALLY want a BX 55” but with the new TCL 55” 6 series having nearly everything except HDMI 2.1 and 4k@120hz for less than half the price I think I’m just gonna go that route. I know it won’t match that insane OLED contrast ratio but it’s going to be leaps and bounds better in every category than my shitty 2018 48” TCL S405 I’ve been using.

I don’t think that panel is actually 120hz, up until now TCL has mostly used 60hz panels in their TVs (especially their value models)

I got a laptop the other day that has a 144hz screen, Sea of Thieves looks god damn beautiful on it.

I can’t afford a 120hz big TV though just yet.

AVSForum is saying native 120hz. But rtings will have their review of the TV done in the next week or so so we’ll have a definitive answer then

Edit: apparently in order to be THX Game Mode certified you have to have a panel with a refresh rate of 120hz or higher. I’d say this is definitely a 120hz native panel then.

Bought an LG C9 2 weeks ago. However I could not find the specs of the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One X.

Because the C9 supports HDMI 2.1, I decided to buy some new HDMI 2.1 cables.

https://www.amazon.nl/Primewire-Ethernet-Dynamic-Variable-Refresh/dp/B082J3XYJD/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=primewire+hdmi+2.1&qid=1597481722&sprefix=primewire+&sr=8-6

My den LCD died last year so I have a B9 there now. The living room is an E6 and until my 3d blu rays rot i dont plan on replacing it!

Samsung Q90R or Q90T are exceptional TVs, with great brightness, and future proof with hdmi 2.1 ready for 120fps. Samsung’s flagship models. Cannot recommend enough. I had the Samsung NU7400 before, which is itself a 4K/HDR TV, but the difference when you make the step up to the top tier (and the extra tools you get, like Freesync) is like upgrading your Xbox, honestly. I have reinstalled games I was done with (Gears 5, Horizon 4, Battlefield 5) just to see them on this TV.

The Q90R 55 can be found for as little as ÂŁ1,200 new since it has been discontinued (ÂŁ,2,999 rrp), but this will be harder to find by the week as stocks diminish.