120hz TV's and Monitors

Seems like an unfortunate isolated one-off problem. Haven’t heard of anyone else running into this issue.

I recently bought a cheap 43’ 4K UHD TCL Roku TV. It’s 120hz. I got it on Amazon for $220.

It has blown me away. Only critique is banding when bright light appears on dark blacks. Haven’t noticed it on TV shows or in games but during branding idents (as a game loads up or on a trailer) I see it. Can’t correct for it.

But otherwise I love it. Use it as a PC monitor too, very nice.

Screenshot:

Off screenshot:

1 Like

Is it VRR or 120 with motion smoothing?

Not sure, Amazon listed it as Refresh Rate 120hz

Consumer Reports also listed 120hz but “Rather than the basic 60Hz, it claims a faster 120Hz frame rate, a feature designed to reduce motion blur.”

Just got Samsung series 7 65 inch in preparation for Xbox series X (4k 60hz)

1 Like

I purchased a Samsung 65" Q90T recently in preparation of the Series X, and for those of us who are concerned about the potential burn-in on OLED, I can’t recommend it enough. Incredible brights, great color, and it impressed me with its contrast. Looking forward to trying out 120fps with next-gen.

1 Like

I have loved the TCL 6 series for my Xbox One X, so I am definitely interested in checking out their new HDMI 2.1 models this Summer for possible pairing with an Xbox Series X.

3 Likes

My Oled C9 is ready for the series x cant wait!

Will be buying the 48" LG CX OLED in mid-September when im on vacation so I know im home to receive it. Will be breaking it in with Series X day one. Until then, it sits in the box. lol.

That could be a couple of months! Do you plan on checking it for damage or screen issues first? I wouldn’t be able to help myself, I’d have it setup that day lol.

I will check it out and have it hooked up. I just won’t play anything until next gen. I currently have a Sony X800D 43" 4K HDR TV which is mid-tier based on when it released and it’s real good but I want better for next gen but at the same time, my last few games are Wasteland 3 and Mafia Remake which im not going to play on the LG CX OLED. That would be an insult to the OLED. LOL.

I recently upgraded to use the following monitor for most of my gaming (PC and Xbox One X).

The world has been hot on OLED screens for a while, and normally I am the kind of person to be quick to adopt the cool new screen tech. However, currently I am torn on whether an OLED is really what I want. The current gaming setup is a room that is less than 15ft across and you cannot get a small OLED TV and on top of that, they become very pricey if you want 120 Hz.

Can anyone shed any light on whether the OLED experience is really going to blow my mind compared to a solid quality VA monitor with better refresh rates and response times?

I gotcha, yeah, it’ll be quite an experience running it through it’s paces with nextgen. My prior tv was very early 4k and mid tier, so this felt like a huge upgrade.

Agree … got the same model in 55 inch and man what a TV! Can’t wait to plug a XSX in this baby…^^

Mine (LG 65 C9) is connected to Senheiseir Ambeo Soundbar on HDMI E-ARC through the TV , no issues so far . I go this way XBOX → TV → E-ARC → Ambeo . Only way to futur proof as most soundbar won’t have the 2.1 hdmi output and I don’t want to loose those sweet 120 fps.

1 Like

I am waiting on Vizio OLED and P Quantum X.

I haven’t seen this TV / Monitor available at any retailers yet but I believe the 55" will around $1200-$1300. The thing seems pretty awesome.

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/558M1RY_27/momentum-4k-hdr-display-with-ambiglow

I have the X950G and read somewhere, that this TV is HDMI 2.1 capable but Sony will not push the update to allow HDMI 2.1.

Anybody else preorder an Eve Spectrum?

https://evedevices.com/pages/full-specs

I have my big 4k tv in the living room but I’m looking for a nice 1440p 120hz monitor for the bedroom. I’d just move my series x into the room at night when the baby is sleeping so that I can put on my headset and get a couple hours in.

What would be a solid monitor for this? Probably in the $500 range. My wife should be fine with me spending that much.