YouTube tech guys and their bias?

Xbox has had the most powerful console since 2017, they will also have the most powerful console next gen. Sony hardware will lose most tech battles shown by objective parties for the future.

RGT and NX were pretty much born for the need for Sony fans to have something to grasp onto even though the Sony platform has inferior hardware.

The only reason we have DF alternatives is because the truth does not favor Sony anymore so a need sprang up to fill that void.

4 Likes

Amen.

I don’t think you are being fair to NX.

I looked up some youtube videos from RGT because of this thread. Wow, this person would not survive in any sort of rigorous engineering environment. This because he is not an engineer. There is an old saying that says “Don’t listen to people who can’t be fired for being wrong.”. Talking head pundits (including youtubers) don’t get fired for getting analysis wrong. They get fired for not getting enough views. They may provide news but don’t listen to their analysis because they are not paid for being correct.

4 Likes

Both those channels existed long before One X. RTG was going well before launch of PS4 and Xbox One…

I listen to the PC channels, because they are not vested at all in the console space. Their opinions tend to hold a lot more validity with me

1 Like

And yet Linus has been forced to apologize to the toxic PlayStation community for criticizing the PS5. I think PC YouTube guys would probably rather pretend the PS5 and Xbox are equal just to avoid the toxic PlayStation fans.

Linus apologized to Tim Sweeney because Linus made some dumb, ignorant comments about the SSD in PS5 that ignored a pretty crucial element of how the ones in next gen consoles work compared to SSD’s in the PC space. So much of the negative feedback he got was earned imo. But then, that doesn’t excuse fanboys harassing him.

It’s still yet to be shown how the ps5 actually works in the real world. The reaction was way over the top but par for the course.

1 Like

Yeah he kinda stuffed up on that SSD one. But having said that, PS fans are really off their heads and swarm like flies when someone says something they dont like. They got the name “Sony Defence Force” for a reason.

1 Like

I’m not sure any particular group is worse or better than another - but I don’t get consoles being like this. I have an LG OLED but when Samsung ran a campaign to claim OLED’s were no good etc…I wasn’t online trying to flame anyone. I don’t sit and argue about OLED vs QLED or whatever…I just accept that both brands will at some point get my money depending upon the market.

I find the way people think about consoles very very odd. The fact you see the words ‘win or winner’ bandied about regarding a piece of plastic tech is very weird when you honestly think about it.

DF has a slight Xbox bias due to Richard and Alex. They keep it professional most of the time.

NXGamer might have a secret contract going on with Sony. That can only explain his videos for me.

RGT is secretly pro-Xbox but tries to “both” sides on everything to get views.

1 Like

RGT is definitely not pro Xbox. Come on now, lol.

I don’t see the supposed DF bias. They like MS in 360 gen because 360 was easily the best designed machine and it yielded the best results in games. They constantly talk up PS4 first party games this gen. Richard rly, rly likes well designed hardware and seems to appreciate transparency there. He got to personally handle XSX so easy to see why he might give them more leeway than Sony who is shady about PS5 tech atm. Alex likes MS’s PC output and LOVES his raytracing…he is skeptical about the way Sony frames the SSD as the end all be all (and he is right). John seems to really promote the aesthetic filmic style of PS4 exclusives. I dunno. Seems to me more like each person at DF has their own specific interests and when MS/Sony hit their sweetspot they like it and vice versa. Doesn’t seem biased to me.

NX gamer didn’t start off with any bias imho. Don’t really watch him much anymore though and some of his recent titles gives me pause a bit.

Just my two cents though.

2 Likes

For me, the basic principles are never believe in any insider’s verbally leaked info unless its confirmed by the sony or microsoft.

If RGT is willing to name its sources, then i will believe in him or any kind of proof, such as documents patents and white papers. Until then- his info is just a speculation theory for me.

Meanwhile, i think colt is the best fan boy out there. I never see him bashing PS relentlessly without any reason all the time. On the other hand, MBG talks more about Xbox doom and gloom then anyone else out there. I know him since when he used to like Xbox and then shifted to being PS fan boy.

Foxy is the worst, just like his 18 TF PS5 pro and $750 million sony deal.

Meanwhile- i am a fan boy of subscription services. Currently on Gamepass PC and waiting for tell me why. Wishing to switch to EA play next month to play some need for speed and battlefield. Subs are the best😎

Edit:

Forget to mention DF😅

They are our saviours! And the only party i trust for now.

But as per recent events, they are losing there edge. It bothers me when they say coming generation resolution differences doesn’t matter. If DF won’t talk about resolution numbers any more then what’s the point of watching there videos? Just for game reviews? If i just want to know about how good a game is i will simply head to ign or gameplay YouTube channels. John is okay with 30 fps games at 1440p. Well i am okay with it too. But that’s not what i want from DF. I don’t want DF to praise the game like other YouTube channels. I want them to do critical analysis of the games performance on the hardware.

I pretty much agree. While the DF comparison videos might not show a noticeable difference this gen, I still think it’s important to see what one console can do vs the other. Like, what will the extra 2tflops the XSX show as in games? What will XSXs ML do for us? VRS results?

Lets see it all.

Most of the bias people feel, is people being critical of the brand they’ve attached themselves to.

I watch most of them from time to time, as they often draw my attention to interviews and articles I haven’t found for myself, but Digital Foundry is the only source I trust, even if certain sites shouted “Pony!” at them when they told the unvarnished truth at the beginning of last gen.

Red Gaming Tech I avoid, though, not so much because he’s definitely crunching too many of those blue pills as that I can’t stand his voice.

I only watch Digital Foundry for real news.

All other tech Youtubers I sometimes watch for the fake news & made up rumors by fake insiders (not the youtubers but some of their sources).

The point is some of the explanations given let me let laugh often because it doesn’t add up with technology paths available. Example: RDNA3 and such BS.

Though I understand the need for sensationalism for the clicks.

The best podcast are actually those that are made by industry people for industry people:

Exhibit a:) https://www.interactive.org/Interviews/the_game_makers_notebook.asp

Exhibit b:) https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/tripleclix-video-game-marketing-podcast/id1458048447

1 Like

Read the title and enter specting to talk about Linus, jay two cents, bitwit, etc and blue team vs red team (amd vs intel) and nope read that you are talking about RGT… lol that guy is clueless.

1 Like

Bingo