Yakuza / Like A Dragon |OT| That's Rad!

True, I forget that the Switch 2’s almost upon us!

Yeah, this is ticking every box for me. Ichiban is beyond adorable. Turn-based combat is still very much in. And the island setting looks incredible. Seeing all the party members from Yakuza 7 returning makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Is it true that you can now move during combat before using a command to attack? I read that in a tweet and that sounds good to me.

Yes, they detailed the combat mechanics during the last RGG Summit. If I remember correctly, it’s explained in this trailer.

3 Likes

While I’d definitely put Yakuza up there with my favourite series now (maybe even my favourite), I’m really not enjoying the combat in Kiwami 2. The boss/mini boss fights seem needlessly difficult and tedious, even on Easy. Kiwami and 0 also had difficulty spikes, but it seemed like you just needed to find the correct style to break through in those moments. Unless I’m missing something with the ability upgrades (which basically seem meaningless and maybe the enemies just scale with you) I’m not really sure what else to do.

Can’t just load up on healing items? Been a long time since I played Kiwami 2.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing. It hasn’t stopped progress, it just makes the combat not fun for me.

The games are all a blur to me unfortunately. Are there videos of the boss fights on yt that might provide some tips?

I am actually pretty happy with the move to turn based because that combat got repetitive and boring for me pretty quickly, especially the brawler style.

In Kiwami 2 I would recommend to use weapons. They are incredible strong. And yes, upgrades help a lot in YK2.

I think it’s the easiest game of all Yakuza/LAD.

I guess. Remembering to grab and stash a weapon and then mapping it to a hotkey is needlessly annoying. Also am I missing something for the guys blocking the doors with a chair? I know in the previous game you had to counter with Y (seriously, no xbox button emojis?) and I think I purchased an upgrade related to this, but I basically just have to wail on them and dodge until they’re toast.

IIRC that’s it. Just attack and dodge. And of course use weapons.

Looks like the usual newer games, not asking for 100% and no Legend playthrough.

I’m kind of sad they don’t make you do Mahjong for these anymore because it became something I looked forward to in these games. I mean I can still play it but I liked getting an achievement for it too…

Oh man wait until you play Block-kuza aka Yakuza 3 where every enemy blocks. The bosses in Yakuza 4 are really annoying too. They are PS3 games so they are the most old/dated mechanics and OMG Saejima is so god damn slow in that game.

As for getting through Kiwami 2 IIRC you can charge a super punch while holding the block button which is great. just keep doing that. And mixing it up with other moves.

Game is scoring fairly well, XboxEra being one of the lower ones. Haven’t played it myself, but if I end up agreeing with the cons I can not really see myself scoring it a 8 or even higher.

This is one of the few series for me where reviews do not matter. I think fans of the series know the deal of reuse assets and the game feeling the same. I think people that aren’t fan of the series will find that stuff annoying, so it is what it is imo. I am a fan of the series, and I play the game for the story and to lose myself in the world.

3 Likes

Exactly, no offense meant to reviewers but for the fans like us, it may as well be a foodie review of a local hole in the wall place.

I guess in a weird way, I do hope the not stellar review score dissuades some people since this isn’t the best jumping on point.

1 Like

Well, they put NG+ behind a paywall and I think Y0 was the only game that didn’t carried anything to NG+. Seems fair I guess.

And for Mahjong - thank god. Sitting and hoping for Rng was annoying.

FYI Like a Dragon Gaiden is already playable in New Zealand. :wink:

5 Likes

Can not wait for this. Gamepass is just the best item in gaming for decades. Thanks goes to Phil and if Phil ever comes to Ireland the round is on me

4 Likes

Coupled with tomorrow being a public holiday in Madrid, tonight’s going to be a late one!

4 Likes