xCloud launching September 15th on Android, no iOS at launch, xCloud will have 100+ games via Game Pass Ultimate

MS is absolutely killing it on the hardware and services front.

Hope so, they just got gamepass, it absolutely canā€™t take that long for them to get Xcloud too.

Maybe there are some things in terms of policy and whatnot that need to be resolved first I think. i think they would love to launch the service everywhere, but I guess there is more preparations that we are not just aware of.

Yes, the beta has one game. But they wouldnā€™t have a beta if they didnā€™t have intentions to eventually move forward with the full experience. The only question is when.

Iā€™m sure this is a true nightmare to launch. I was really surprised at the maturity of Stadiaā€™s launch. (They have a lack of content and services, but the tech is phenomenal)

1 Like

No iOS and no Australia.

Cool beans.

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s exactly my thinking on that, especially now with a global pandemic going on. I think it is even precised that the xCloud app is still in beta, so they chose countries where they had the less problems in launching the app I think.

Wow that trailer looks exactly like a Switch trailer haha love it! sad itā€™s not out in Australia but wouldnā€™t really be using right now much so I can wait. They must be still working out some kinks with Telstra who I think are going to be the ones to bring it here.

I gotta buy that switch like controller thing soon as xcloud hits Aus!

That middle one looks so much more comfortable.

They also precised in the article that there is gonna be more news tomorrow at the Samsung event.

And Apple once again shows all their friction to innovationā€¦jesusā€¦

Great news! I was hoping for a little update on how negotiations for iOS are progressing. Appleā€˜s walled garden really is the issue here. That being said, it puts me in a bit of a tough spot, as I have an iPad and an Android phone that Iā€˜d like to replace sometime soon. But with no iOS support timeframe known, I might have to buy an Android phone once more. Iā€˜m tired of carrying my heavy console or laptop everywhere. Playing on the iPad would be a dream come true, but itā€˜s the way it is. Those Switch-like controllers look very interesting for the phone, Iā€˜ll check those out.

Was hoping to get the full list of supported games, but I guess we will soon.

Amazing news! But I donā€™t think this will take off as well in lower income countries where mobile is huge and gaming in general is expensive, paying 15 dollars just for cloud wonā€™t cut it, so I really hope by the time they do come to more countries, Xcloud could be a separate subscription.

Also, I think the strategy is rather backwards by supporting only game pass titles, hopefully Iā€™m wrong and itā€™ll be possible to play games that youā€™ve bought permanently on the xbox store down the line. Even Stadia gives the feature of games you can permanently own. As attractive as GPU is, locking Xcloud to it is probably not a good thing down the line, it shall start showing their early signs of forcing you into Game Pass. Currently, itā€™s a very good thing that there are no game pass exclusives in the sense that anything on there can still be bought once and for all. I donā€™t want to be alarmist, but the day they start forcing you into game pass at the expense of not getting to outright purchase said games in it, is the day I shall kinda stop supporting it.

Phil Spencer already said that at first, xCloud will be tied to GPU at launch, but there is gonna be other options down the line. About the proposition, I think this is literally the netflix of video games that people wanted Stadia to be, but wasnā€™t. Letā€™s see how it will evolve first.

1 Like

Nice. But the thing with Netflix is nobody cares about media ownership for movies and series, whereas gaming is a whole different thing and a lot of people care about outright buying games and not being tied to a sub, this is why despite some games being on gamepass, theyā€™re selling like hot cakes on Steam. Many see that and wonder ā€œlol why would you pay full price for the game when you can just get it for a few dollars on game pass?ā€ but that completely misses the rather resilient core of game ownership (at least not tied to an ephemeral service like Game Pass) that a lot of gamers shall persist in preferring. Imagine youā€™re a bit late to xcloud, you start playing a pretty big game, and the game shall leave in a month, thatā€™d be a huge bummer if said Xcloud provided no option for the gamer to ensure he can stay playing the game beyond its life on the game pass service.

I need Razer to make a Kishi that fits Galaxy S20 Ultras.

You never own digital games completely, even less with streaming. The reason Stadia is not picking up traction is not because of their tech, because it is fine. It is because they have a business model nobody wanted where you have to pay full price for each games, and where you just donā€™t know what would happen to these games if the service is shot down. Everywhere I read, people wanted a Netflix style of video games and this is exactly that.

xCloud is gonna evolve and they are going to have more options down the line. It is still in beta, and with the pandemic in place, things are even harder right now. Iā€™m pretty sure you will be able to buy games separetely and stream them ( if supported ).

I wish the Kishi wasnā€™t so expensive, Ā£80/$99 seems like a lot.

But Iā€™ve been really impressed with the tech from the testing I did.

No iOS support is 100% down to Apple, honestly not sure how MS get around that one.

Iā€™d like more word on a Windows 10 app for xCloud though, Iā€™m not a big fan of playing handheld on a small screen but would like to play on my laptop.