XboxEra's 2024 Backlog Challenge |OT| Surely this is the year?

Nah, we didn’t last time. It’s the last chance to get these, so would be unfortunate if anyone felt held back because of this competition.

3 Likes

+0 Ark: Survival Ascended

I generally don’t like these types of games. But with the power of cheats and console commands, I can make it enjoyable enough! I really couldn’t tell much difference between this and the other Ark, it just seems to have more customization options for creating worlds.

+0 Plate Up!

I can’t say much about it, as a friend did all the heavy lifting. It’s like Overcooked, but without the crazy levels, and adds restaurant customization.

2 Likes

Hellblade 2 +0

Amazing sound and graphics as well as performances by the cast.

Not so amazing the pacing and a bit linear but understand the need for it for the story.

Combat - couldn’t enjoy it. Could see what they were doing with it and did feel impactful but the timing or my timing for it just didn’t click so became annoying and least enjoyable part.

4 Likes

I loved the game… Combat felt much better than the first game and I feel it served its purpose as a vehicle for the story very well. Too bad you didn’t click with it.

The graphics ruined every other game I’ve played since lol.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m in for a shock if play something really old from backlog :rofl:

Still glad I played it and on the whole more positive on it because of story and characters outweighed my failure to grasp combat mechanics.

3 Likes

Well, finally time for a +1!

The Last Campfire.

This was a cute puzzle adventure game with a nice little story to tell. Nothing difficult, just a chill puzzle game with very pleasing aesthetics. A very smooth experience too with no bugs and all achievements are story related which is appreciated, it’s nice to just play through a game but still come out with a 1k for those who care about that. Recommended!

Perfect as a palate cleanser before it’s time to shoot things in the face again in the next game!

5 Likes

Playing it right now myself. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

+1 The Last Campfire

Nice little puzzle game, elevated by a lovely art style and narration.

4 Likes
  • +1 - Perfect Dark Zero - so… this is awkward. I’ve been in my annual Rare Replay kick, and with the PD unveil a couple weeks back, I’ve been putting in some hours in the original. Decided to toy around with PD0 and realized I never beat the last two levels; most of my hundreds of hours was spent playing multiplayer with my college buddies, as despite its archaic structure now, it was the king of shooters until 2007 on that gen of consoles. Obviously, the less said about the story of this one, the better, however the level design, art style, and overall technology still impresses imo.

Total = 12

6 Likes

I got frustrated with something in AC 3 Remastered so started this as well, completed the first area last night. It’s really good. Thanks Mort and SilentJay76 for talking it up.

Did have one bug so far in a cave where I tried walking somewhere I thought should have a path and my character got stuck and disappeared, but eventually got out of there. Very minor though and I was doing something it didn’t expect.

3 Likes

+1 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Total = 17

3 Likes

+0 FIST: Forged in Shadow Torch

I agree with the critics that this is probably the best modern Metroidvania game available. I like the story, setting, character, combat, puzzles, exploration, and even finding the collectables. It’s leaving game pass in a few days, but if you have the spare time, I highly recommend playing it. I hope the inevitable sequel is also on game pass!

3 Likes

Shawn Layden’s idea of a one standard console seems to mirror Phil’s Spencer’s comments on open platforms. The idea definitely seems like it could be permeating more in the industry. Ex-PlayStation Boss Wants To End The Console War And Have “One Standard Console” (dualshockers.com)

+0 Open Roads

A short game about a mother and daughter on a road trip to discover their family’s history and uncover secrets after the passing of the grandmother. The game effectively has two parts, the first is like a walking sim while at one of the locations during the road trip and the second is like a visual novel while you are in the car traveling between locations. The story was interesting, though there was a lot of red herrings along the way that took away from the storytelling for me.

3 Likes

I liked that one a lot.

1 Like

Time just flies away and it’s time for another update. No placement changes this week but Apophis is no longer in the negatives, and Knottian forgot to count a .5 for his total. I double check everything :wink: The completions must flow!

Current leaderboard:

1. @Zip 19.5

2. @Searsy82 17

3. @SilentJay76 17

4. @Jorge_Alexander_Acos 14

5. @Knottian 12.5

6. @ACyberRazorCut 9.5

7. @vrinn 9

8. @profjjj 6.5

9. . @ Mort 5

10. @MasterLeePhD 3.5

11. . @ Rodya 2

12. @APOPHIS1989 0

4 Likes

It seems like yesterday that I was at - 9! For some reason, my list for this week and last only have game pass games to complete. Hopefully I will get back to the backlog next week. It still feels good to at least not be negative!

2 Likes

Was this meant for the community thread?

-1 Among the Sleep

I had this psychological horror game from limited run games on my radar, waiting for a sale… It went on sale last night. I was out of the negatives for a few days at least! Lol

With my limited income, I only buy one game at full price each year. In recent years, it’s been the new Resident Evil titles, but this year I chose Star Wars Outlaws as my one game to preorder. I wait until a sale of at least 50% for every other game I buy. It makes it hard to plan for, as the sales are unannounced and usually only last for about a week, but at least I am encouraged to get through my backlog or take advantage of Game Pass in the meantime.

3 Likes