XboxEra's 2024 Backlog Challenge |OT| Surely this is the year?

+.5 for AC Valhalla Ragnarök

Had a decent time with this, has some interesting abilities and challenges with lava / teleporting but I mostly just stayed with my existing stealth / ranged attacks. The story was OK but I kind of lost track a couple of times during a quest and was sort of surprised when I got to the end. Also I’d already gone everywhere before I did the quests so that made it somewhat repetitive to go to places I’d already been.

Have one achievement for removing a curse from a set of armor that seems broken, but oh well. I liked this main game more than most people but I also changed up the default settings to make it play more like an assassin’s creed game and not just attack everything head on. Have a few other things in the main game to mop up but I think I’m going to put it aside for later, especially since I have some older ones (plus mirage) that I’ve not played yet.

4 Likes

Nice! I look forward to playing Valhalla, I know people are saying it’s bloated etc. but I’m really into the setting. Still have a couple of Odyssey DLC to go through first though.

How much can you tweak settings in Valhalla? Sounds interesting…

3 Likes

I bought Valhalla right around launch so it had been a while since I set it up. I think I basically did the easy stealth / all enemy assassination settings that this video mentioned. I also gravitated toward skills that helped stealth / ranged abilities first when I got ability points. Also I play a lot slower than a lot of people and kind of stay on the outskirts of an area, pick off people one at a time & then hide, it feels more stealthy to me that way and more intentional than just going & hitting people with a scythe or giant sword (not that that’s not fun also :slight_smile: )

It probably is a bit bigger game than it needed to be, and after a while stuff does get a bit same-ey but I really liked the settings and story and gameplay well enough that I didn’t mind. Plus they kept adding mythological stuff in over time, and that added new locations / mechanics / etc. as well. Definitely one where you get your money worth, I have well over 400 hours into it over the course of a few years across the core game & all the DLCs and toying around a little with some of the title updates that added more achievements / locations / etc.

Which Odyssey DLC do you have left? That was another one that had some interesting stuff, but I think I personally liked Valhalla’s DLC over Odyssey’s. Spoiler,

there’s at least one point in Valhalla where your character meets Kassandra.

2 Likes

Oh that’s really neat, I always go for the stealthy approach to these games when possible too and the more I can tailor it towards that the better. Picking apart an enemy location without ever being spotted is very satisfying, it’s like a puzzle. I don’t mind going in loud either to mix things up, but I definitely prefer the assassin approach.

I have the two big ones, Legacy of the First Blade and The Fate of Atlantis left for Odyssey.

2 Likes

Fate of Atlantis had a three headed boss that drove me nuts due to how I had my armor and weapons set up

2 Likes

+1 Sonic Colors Ultimate.

Don’t buy this remaster, it’s buggy. For example there’s a miniboss fight where the enemy is supposed to light up, signalling he is going to attack. In Ultimate, the enemy doesn’t light up, so you just have to brute force your way through it and get lucky. Good game but bad remaster 5/10

3 Likes

When you think how vast games have gotten there is something to be said how this relatively small setting had so much variety in story and characters.

2 Likes

I am coming into this late. As such, can I just do one big post with all my completions this year and everything purchased, getting me up to date?

2 Likes

I bought System Shock Remake.

Total = 13

I should have a bounce back here soon, almost done with Hellblade 2 and Fallout 4 + DLC

1 Like

Sure. That will be easier for everyone.

1 Like

Games completed, date (notes): Opus Castle 1/11 (last two achievements glitched)

Thunder flash 1/14

Reactor X 1/14

Outbreak Epidemic 1/14

Outbreak Epidemic DE 1/14

Inscryption 1/27 (completed story)

Dungeon Color 1/27

Teacup 2/9

Alba 2/28

Walking Dead Season 2 Xbone 3/10

2 Synchro Hedgehogs 3/11

The Crew 3/14 (servers shutdown)

Batman TT series Xbone 3/15

Uno Xbone 3/17

Project Starship 3/17

Butterfly 3/18

Synchro Hedgehogs 3/25

Butterfly 2 4/1

Batman TT series 360 episode 1 4/5 (other episodes delisted)

DPS Idle 4/7

Null Drifter 4/11

50 Years 4/15

SSI:HIS 4/23

Bullet Beat 5/2

Project Starship X 5/9

Crisis Wing 5/9

Void Gore 5/12

Habroxia 5/12 (beat story)

No Thing 5/14

Fullblast 5/14

Metagal 5/14

Smart Moves 5/27

She Sees Red 5/27

Submerged 5/28 (beat story)

Korgan 6/1

Total: 34.5 it we count Batman TT episode 1 as DLC and those with notes are accepted by the council

2 Likes

Games purchased, date (notes) :

Gothic Platformer Bundle 5/21 (3 games)

Logic Games Bundle 5/20 (3 games)

Ryland 5/15

Lego Builders Journey 5/14

Unsighted 5/14

Creepy Tale 1&2 4/23

Lost and Wicked 4/23

Castle of No Escape 1&2 4/22

B4B 4/19

Sheepo 4/19

Dad’s Monster House 4/19

Pity Pit 4/16

Deliver Us Mars 4/4

No Thing 4/2

Mosaic 3/15

Journey Down trilogy 2/26

Shmup collection 2/26 (3 games)

Grin robot games bundle 2/26 (3 games)

Nexoria 2/20

Lab crisis 2/20

Dead Island collection 2/20 (3 games)

Kona II 2/13

Moon glow Bay 2/6

Fobia 1/30

Cruz Bros 1/17

Persona 3&4 1/14

Persona 5 1/3

Story tale 1/1

Total: - 43

2 Likes

For a grand total of - 8.5! Lol

2 Likes

Looks like I have competition for last place this year!

1 Like

Welcome to the competition! Thanks for the thorough stats. :wink:

I post the updated leaderboard on Mondays usually, you’ll be on the next one.

I got lucky that gifts don’t count against me, but unlucky that GPU games don’t count for me…

Everything looks good? Including those with notes? And the math checks out?

Yeah, subscription games from GP/PS+ does not count. As for gifts the important thing is consistency, if you want to count them as +1’s when completed you should take -1 when you get them as well. Otherwise they are also fully outside the competition.

Yup looks good. :+1:

@Mort just to confirm, small DLCs like cosmetics, currencies, deluxe edition upgrades, car packs, etc do not count. Only substantial DLCs like expansions that add hours more gameplay and achievements count, correct? What if you complete DLCs for games on a subscription service, do they count?