XboxERA's 2022 Backlog Challenge |OT| New Challenger Approaching!

I was also very late to play Ryse. I liked it and I definitely would like a sequel, with a lot of improvements for sure but there’s potential.

2 Likes

I played Ryse when it was a GwG. Other than the graphics, I thought it was thoroughly forgettable.

2 Likes

Totally agree. It’s a pretty game and all but it was just so boring to play through.

2 Likes

I have somewhat of a Roman fetisch… haha.

1 Like

I also have grown very weary of some people saying it’s “a Sony game from before Sony made those games” but my read on the situation is that Ryse was a badge of honor for people that were early Xbox One adopters and they have some PTSD about those early years.

1 Like

Finished Watch Dogs 2. +1 for me @PhantomFox

Meh. I had fun with it - again, kudos to the BC team for FPS Boost - but…it felt pretty forgettable.

I see that @profjjj is going to keep me from getting complacent, so, expect more completions soon!

Also, 305 gamerscore away from 200k.

edit - the forum doesn’t allow two posts in a row from the same poster, so I’m editing this one

Finished Day of the Tentacle Remastered. +1 for me @PhantomFox

I was still hungry for more Tim Schafer/Double Fine after finishing Brutal Legend. I’ve only played a few point and click adventure games before, so I kept a walkthrough handy for this when necessary. That said, I still had a pretty great time. Lots of funny moments and giggles. Very charming game. Easy achievements for those of you that care about that stuff.

Will start Full Throttle Remastered later today.

Crossed 200k gamerscore, too. I suppose if I keep up my pace I might hit 225K by the end of the year. And I still don’t really care about these things! They have no value! Come on, Microsoft, let me buy something with my achievements!

3 Likes

Finished Shadowrun Returns! A game from my PC backlog that showed up on Xbox via Game Pass a while back, very nice! Much prefer gaming on console nowadays.

It’s pretty linear but had a great setting with an interesting story, decent turn based combat and a lot of options for your character even though everything is a bit basic. The mission based structure felt a bit restrictive and cut out most exploration which I usually enjoy in my RPG’s, but it had its charm and place in the narrative.

That’s a +1 for me, @PhantomFox !

3 Likes

Getting pretty close to finishing Soul Hackers 2!

Leaderboard - September 27th, 2022:

1. @outrigued +26
  2. @profjjj +24.5
  3. @Mort +21
  4. @NierlyCrazy +6
  5. @PhantomFox +1.5
  6. @BadMoodJones +1
  7. @watgreatgaming -1
2 Likes

I was going to play this but I had heard the console ports are pretty buggy. Did you experience any of those issues?

I’m in the same position - I’ve owned them on Steam for years, but I’m mostly a console player these days.

No, not in this first one at least. I had one visual bug where an NPC got a marker stuck on her, but it disappeared after a quick save/load, that’s it. So, no it worked very well. Can’t speak for Dragonfall or Hong Kong yet, but I’ll probably play those soon.

Yeah, console is so much more of a pleasant gaming experience overall. I used to be PC only for a long time, the past five years or so I’ve been mostly on console. I prefer gaming over updating drivers and trying to get games to work properly :wink:

Good to know. I’ll give it a try! I could be in the mood for another RPG.

Just finished Full Throttle Remastered. +1 for me @PhantomFox

I think I liked DotT more, but this one was shorter and still pretty witty. I’ve never played the Monkey Island games so I’m working through that FOMO by playing these other old games. I’ll be keeping Grim Fandango and Broken Age in mind for the near future, of course.

2 Likes

Finished Deponia. An old school point-and-click adventure game which have all the classic ingredients: incredibly far fetched and obnoxious problem solving, dumb humour and puzzles. It was fun though and if you’re into this genre I would recommend.

That’s a +1 for me, @PhantomFox .

I need to get back to Xenoblade 3. I stopped playing it because Handheld mode was making me hate the experience. And I really don’t have time to play docked anymore due to my gaming time on my OLED being taken up by Series X.

This might be one of those games I shelf for a year or so until its remastered for better hardware.

In fact I’m doing that for a lot of Switch games.

Another zero pointer for me done! I have bought and finished Danganronpa V3!

The trilogy is officially over (I hope the spin-offs come to Xbox too though). I’ve got to say, after wanting to play these games for so long, I’m glad that chance was finally given on my preferred console. I’ve still got plenty of side content to get to (and this 100% specifically looks like it might be pain), but the story is done.

Now, what are my thoughts on V3’s story? Well, it feels very Danganronpa for better or for worse (I’m sure most of us know what I mean by this). Each game has their own twists and turns, characters you love and hate, and a homicidal robotic bear that keeps the story moving.

V3 itself has a solid story, some great twists that I both did and didn’t see coming, and some memorable characters that belong among the other fan favorites. With that said, without spoiling anything, the different way the team went about this game definitely has a lot of mixed emotions among the fanbase. My take on it? It feels very Danganronpa. I know that sounds like a very cheap answer, but that’s probably the easiest way to summarize it.

One thing I did love about this game is the new minigames within the trials. Psyche Taxi specifically is probably my favorite one. Hangman’s Gambit got a makeover in the best way possible. The new Argument Armament plays similarly to 2 (iirc), but I had a harder time keeping up with the rhythm at times. Mine Mind is an okay minigame, nothing to really write home about.

The soundtrack continues to kick ass, whether its rearranging classic tracks or new songs entirely. This one will definitely be seeing some Spotify listening time.

All in all, if you like the first two games I highly recommend checking out V3. If you didn’t, well I don’t think this one will change your mind.

Hopefully we see Super Summer Camp and Ultra Despair Girls make their way over to Xbox, although I have doubts about the latter.

So Long! Bear-Well!

4 Likes

Finished The Forgotten City. +1 for me @PhantomFox

We all have these - games that we bought that shortly after went into Game Pass. Happy to support the devs either way, I suppose.

In terms of time loop games, I much preferred this over Outer Wilds. I’ll take crappy Skyrim combat over flying that damned ship any day. I found this story and setting to be more impactful, too. That said, time loop games still aren’t really my thing, personally, though I certainly appreciate their ambition.

Be sure to check it out while it’s still on GP.

Going to have a few more completions in the next few days.

@NierlyCrazy Though I still want to make time for the Danganronpa trilogy, I think I will prioritize the Nonary Games, now that they’re all on Xbox. I own the first two games on Steam, so they’ll count for this challenge, too!

@ShinMegamiTenseiX Unfortunately I played XC3 entirely docked, so I can’t speak to your handheld experience…though I did play through XC1 on 3DS a few years ago. THAT was…”fun”. I didn’t find XC3’s performance to be TOO awful, but compared to more powerful hardware, yeah, it’s disappointing. Hopefully you get to the game sooner rather than later. I didn’t adore it but I think there’s still some fun to be had there.

3 Likes

Finished Soul Hackers 2! +1 for that. Overall, it’s a pretty good JRPG fix, and it’s so nice to see Atlus on Xbox. The turn-based gameplay is definitely the highlight of the game, as I never grew tired of it. Really liked the progression in power throughout the game, in terms of demons and skills. Getting larger and larger Sabbaths over time felt great. Collecting and fusing demons was definitely my favorite part.

It does have some issues, though. The dungeons were pretty bland for the most part, both visually and in terms of design. I still did enjoy going through them but yeah, they could’ve been better. Definitely feels like a budget game. The story was just ok too, but I did really like the cast (Ringo for life!). I think the biggest issue with the game is that there isn’t really anything that’s particularly memorable (besides Ringo).

But yeah, definitely eager for more Atlus goodness now! Can’t wait for Persona 5 Royal this month, and I really hope we get mainline SMT one day.

And man, just hit me that it’s been more than 2 months since I last finished a game.

Anyway, here’s the updated leaderboard:

Leaderboard - October 1st, 2022:

1. @outrigued +28
  2. @profjjj +24.5
  3. @Mort +22
  4. @NierlyCrazy +6
  5. @PhantomFox +2.5
  6. @BadMoodJones +1
  7. @watgreatgaming -1
4 Likes

Finished Pneuma: Breath of Life. A pretty good first person puzzle game, with an actually clever little story to it. The narrator was great.

A bit old and graphics wise it’s pretty low resolution but at least it did not give me motion sickness which is always a fear with these kind of low budget things.

That’s a +1 for me, @PhantomFox .

1 Like

Finished Unravel. +1 for me @PhantomFox

Ironically, this was one of the first games I bought for my Xbox One S, back in 2016. I had abandoned my playthrough early on because of one puzzle that annoyed me - I could see the solution but I just didn’t want to execute on it. We all have our petty moments.The artstyle/vibe is obviously the reason to play this game, and as someone who considers Kirby’s Epic Yarn a GOAT (fight me :sunglasses:) this game speaks my language. Glad I finally went back and finished it. Binged most of it last night. It’s a cozy autumnal kind of game.

It’s on EA Play, too.

Looking to extend my lead with a few more completions soon so I can maybe have a buffer before the big GP drops start coming.

3 Likes

Leaderboard - October 2nd, 2022:

1. @outrigued +29
  2. @profjjj +24.5
  3. @Mort +23
  4. @NierlyCrazy +6
  5. @PhantomFox +2.5
  6. @BadMoodJones +1
  7. @watgreatgaming -1

I found Unravel 1 & 2 to be pretty nice puzzle/platformer games to go through! The artstyle definitely is great.

3 Likes

Haha, it rang a bell and I had to go look but yeah it’s the samish for me. Got an achievement back in 2016, haven’t touched it since for some reason. Heck knows why but I suppose it’s no wonder my backlog is enormous.

1 Like