XboxERA's 2022 Backlog Challenge |OT| New Challenger Approaching!

I say trade-ins should not be considered at all. Also, only returns with less than 2 hours of play and done within a week can wipe a -1 purchase to a 0.

2 Likes

Maybe I should do it

1 Like

Personally, we’re all going based on an “honor system” anyway so if a game is traded in after completion, it should eliminate that game. Why should I be penalized for trading in a game that is highly unlikely to ever be played again? That makes no sense.

Also, if I buy a game and drop it which in turn leads to me trading it in ala Returnal and others, again, why should I be penalized when it’s never ever going to be played anyway and thus, does not exist in my backlog?

Backlogs are meant to be games that you actually want to eventually play but haven’t gotten to yet. Besides, so many here have Game Pass so if you download/install a game but drop it and thus uninstall it, that would be the same thing as me trading in a Returnal. Same can be applied for game purchases/rentals via Game Pass that are completed and then uninstalled.

To me, if you buy a game or rent it via Game Pass, it’s because you either A) want to play and complete it because you’re hyped for it or B) you want to try but aren’t sure if you’ll actually get through the game.

Lol, poor @ProgStopper.

IMO, the key metric here is completion. If u complete it it doesn’t matter what you do with it afterwards. Similarly, if u don’t complete it it doesn’t matter what you do with it aftereards.

I’m not participating though, just my 2 cents

1 Like

Nah it’s fine, I didn’t want to make it too complicated that’s all.

It’s fine.

This Is Fine GIF

Well, if that’s the case, and I’m allowed to trade/sell games I’m done with…sign me up!

And also give me +1 because I beat Guardians of the Galaxy last night!

1 Like

Trade-Ins shouldn’t matter.

This would have to fall under the terms for return, in order to be fair for those who do digital purchases. I think the Xbox self-service return policy is fair enough to carry over to this challenge too. For the sake of the challenge, you should have to face some consequences for buying and failing to complete a game. There should be some risk / negative points for someone who plays 10 hours of a game then opts to never complete it.

Game Pass games were always 0 points for the contest.

Any larger variances and it’s no longer Backlog Challenge but a Game Completion challenge.

These are just my suggestions to have a fair challenge all around. No need to accept these terms. Just my opinion being shared.

Keeping or trading in a game shouldn’t matter. All that should matter is if the game purchased is going to be completed or not. If a purchased game is dropped, it shouldn’t count simply because the person is never going to go back to it anyway, otherwise, that person wouldn’t drop it to begin with. If I complete a game and trade it in, the main purpose and objective was to complete the game which happened. Why do I or anyone for that matter have to keep a game that they completed just to watch it decrease in value with every passing day for some odd reason?

I purchase games digitally as well as physically. The consequences for buying a game, not completing it and then trading it in results in a loss of money and time which is the consequence. Just because you buy a game, doesn’t mean that you’re guaranteed to complete it which is obvious considering those here who have bought hundreds if not thousands of games that they will never ever complete even if they lived a hundred life times which when you think about it is the same thing as dropping a game and trading it in because if you know you’re not going to complete it, why keep it? What’s the purpose in that?

Also, I disagree in regards to having to be fair to those who do digital purchases because that’s on each individual. I spent $100 on AC Valhalla which was disappointing to me and the only person I can blame for buying the gold edition digitally is myself. So this aspect, I really don’t understand because no one is forced to buy a game digitally over physically on disc.

Backlog Challenge and Game Completion Challenge is the same thing because as soon as you buy a game, it’s a backlogged game until it’s completed. Doesn’t matter if it’s a week, a month or a year later after buying it. The challenge IS to complete the game.

I know these are your suggestions and your opinion and im simply voicing mine. I can maybe see buying a physical or digital game and dropping it be a penalty of a half a point because realistically, it’s never going to be played anyway which is why it would be dropped. But to get penalized for completing a game which IS the challenge regardless of how people want to word it and then trading it in to me is just flat out bullshit because that means you’re actually getting penalized for completing a game which is the entire point of the backlog challenge.

But to each their own.

I don’t see where anyone gets penalized for completing a game with what I proposed.

You said the following -

Which means that if I complete a game and trade it in, you believe that it shouldn’t be considered at all. Unless im misunderstanding and you only mean dropping a game and trading it in, then my mistake but if you’re including completed games that get traded in, then I strongly disagree as they should count because they were completed.

1 Like

No. You misunderstood. :rofl: That means trade ins are not of any concern for the rules. Just like burning or melting or destroying the disc should not be considered at all. To say it again: there should be nothing in the rules for trade-ins.

The only wiggle room is if the rules should attempt to deal with “returns”.

1 Like

Basic rules:

1. Everyone starts at 0
  2. Buy a game, you get -1
  3. Finish a game you get +1
  4. Buy a DLC get -0.5
  5. Finish a DLC you get +0.5

Forgiveness policy, if folks want it:

1. Returning a game you bought gives you +1 to void out the -1 of buying it.
  2. Returning a DLC you bought gives you +0.5 to void out the -0.5 of buying it.
2 Likes

@BRiT

Okay, gotcha. I apologize for misunderstanding. As long as im not losing anything for trading in a game after completing it, im good.

1 Like

I’m still waiting for @ProgStopper to add me to the OP.

I think he is concerned that I will steamroll the competition with my massive backlog. :wink:

4 Likes

Heck I’ll join!

Quick question, should I be using Grouvee, or would keeping track on TA (TrueAchievements) work well enough?

1 Like

Oh I don’t think we’re using anything for this. It’s based on honor, just report what you’ve bought and beaten honestly.

2 Likes

Added.

3 Likes

Wait so if I just lie and say I beat all these games I can win? Who’s making sure no one cheats.

1 Like

Are you implying something?

2 Likes

If we really wanted to we could do a GamerTag Profile check, but IDK that seems a bit much for something were the grand prize is a tag and a month of GamePass.

Honor system remains unless we vote for Profile Checks.

1 Like