XboxEra Data and Analytics - Vote Your Top Games of the Gen Now!

Looks like it ^^ I would have add MGS V The Phantom Pain somewhere, but has a cross gen game, I felt it was more a 7th gen game.

And yeah, challenging games are my jam, Battletoads in Battletoads mode was a treat, Sekiro was fantastic to. Doom Eternal could have make the top but it is too much about add system on a pure gamedesign which never needs a “weak point” or “glory kill to heal or loot ammo” to be efficient.

Doom 2016 was perfectly balance. That’s why it’s here and Doom Eternal is out of the top, but fantastic game too.

1 Like

I admire your willpower ! For me, except DOOM and BOTW, these games you are listing are exhausting. Good but exhausting ! :slight_smile:

For DOOM Eternal, actually, I’m enjoying it more and more quite recently. But my first walkthrough was painful, as I didn’t get all the changes to gameplay. Now that I’m more aware of the mechanics, it’s infinitely better.

1 Like

If I have one advice : please, consider playing Prey in easy. Even without being overlly challenging, this game is pure gold, you’ll be surprised by how much the game has to offert :wink:

2 Likes

I think I finished it on easy or normal. Good game. I liked the ambiance and gameplay.

I like to challenge myself sometimes ! I tried Dark Souls a few times now. :wink:

1. Overwatch
  2. Quantum Break
  3. The Witcher 3
  4. Halo 5
  5. What Remains of Edit Finch
  6. Division 2
  7. TitanFall 2
  8. Sunset Overdrive
  9. Undertale
  10. Forza Horizon 3
3 Likes

1 Like
  1. Elder Scrolls Online
  2. Halo 5
  3. Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
  4. Forza Motorsports 6
  5. Forza Horizon1/2/3/4
  6. Quantum Break
  7. The Witcher 3
  8. MCC
  9. Crackdown 3
  10. Gears of War 5
3 Likes

Bumping to remind today is the last day to get your game of the generation votes in if you haven’t already.

Fuck it’s late as hell at night here, I wanted to get my list in in the morning after waking up, could I know how many more hours left in this?

Tomorrow is OK. I’ll double check the list before finalizing anything.

1. Forza Horizon 4
  2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  3. Persona 5/royal
  4. God of War
  5. TLOU 2
  6. Rise of Tomb Raider
  7. Halo 5
  8. Titanfall
  9. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  10. Sunset Overdrive
1 Like
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - What an aptly named game; a breath of fresh air compared to the litany of open-world games that have littered the generation.
  2. Inside - In today’s age, its rare that a game launches in such a complete and polished fashion; its truly a perfectly paced vision that raises the bar for what video games can be.
  3. Resident Evil 2 - This should be used as the template for survival-horror games moving forward; every zombie is a challenge, resources are limited, and the tension is high.
  4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. Return of the Obra Dinn
  6. The Witness
  7. XCOM 2
  8. Ori and the Blind Forest - When I finally got my Xbox One in late 2015, this was one of the games that came bundled with it; I picked it up and put it down a few times before it finally clicked and it turned out being one of my favorite games on the system when I didn’t anticipate it.
  9. Resident Evil VII: Biohazard -
  10. Kentucky Route Zero - Putting aside the magical realism aspect, this feels like an honest look at an oft overlooked region in the US; it isn’t a caricature or dripping with condescension, its writing and the world it exists within is special within the confines of the a point and click adventure.

I’ll edit these quotes in a bit.

1 Like
  1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  2. Dark Souls 3
  3. Bloodborne
  4. God of War
  5. Forza Horizon 4
  6. The Outer Worlds
  7. Stardew Valley
  8. Fire Emblem - Three Houses
  9. Monster Hunter World
  10. Hollow Knight

Whew, that was very, very hard. There were 3-4 titles I had to push myself hard to remove to keep it in the top 10.

A couple honourable mentions: Final Fantasy XV, Dead Cells.

1 Like

These types of lists remind me how many games I still need to finish.

1. Witcher 3
  2. Resident Evil 7
  3. Control
  4. Spider-Man
  5. Halo MCC
  6. Ori and the Blink Forest (still haven’t played Ori 2)
  7. Forza Horizon 4
  8. Resident Evil 2 Remake
  9. Hellblade
  10. Beat Saber

Other games I wish I could include: Shenmue 3, Quantum Break, Gears 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, and PUBG.

1 Like

I am shocked how rare Red Dead Redemtion 2 appears on your lists. It’s the best game of the gen for me and technically the most advanced game ever. Such a masterpiece but everyone got their opinion I guess.

1 Like

1 Titanfall

2 Hellblade

3 Ori and the blind forest

4 Forza Horizon 3

5 Titanfall 2

6 Cuphead

7 Gears of War 5

8 Witcher 3

9 Quantum Break

10 ReCore

I haven’t given the order that much thought, but here it goes.

1. The Witcher 3
  2. Sunset Overdrive
  3. Killer Instinct
  4. Dead by Daylight
  5. Hitman 2
  6. Titanfall 2
  7. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  8. XCom 2
  9. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
  10. Halo Master Chief Collection

Shoutouts to both Ori games, Forza Horizon 3 & 4, Cuphead, Dark Souls 3, No Man’s Sky, Quantum Break, and Life is Strange. Didn’t include Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze because I was unsure if it fit the rules.

Including Master Chief Collection felt a bit like cheating, but I have had a blast with it over the years.

OK friends, everything up until now is being added to the data. Thanks for participating! I’m hoping to turn the results around in a day. Will provide an update Monday either way.

10 Likes

Almost there friends! Should be up in a couple hours…or at least before anyone wakes up and gets their new Xbox’s tomorrow. Looking forward to the discussion on the way the voting went.

Edit: OK I lied…but not on purpose. XboxEra articles like this get sent out at 9 a.m. EST. I’m a newb at publishing. Same time Microsoft usually announces publisher purchases. lol!

6 Likes

you should make another thread with the results!