XboxEra Data and Analytics - Vote Your Top Games of the Gen Now!

1. Forza Horizon 4 - I love all the Forza Horizon games, and personally 4 is my favorite out of them. A great formula, almost perfected in 4. My favorite racing game ever.
  2. Halo MCC - One of the best collections in gaming. Always delightful to play the Halo campaigns again, and Halo 2 Anniversary is a great remaster of a great game.
  3. Star Wars Battlefront II - When it first released I didn’t like the game. The campaign was mediocre and the multiplayer, although fun, had some big issues. However, with the constant updates the game received post-launch, this game became my favorite multiplayer shooter yet, I’ve spent hundreds of hours playing it.
  4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - My favorite platformer of all time so far. Gorgeous art-style, great music, and good combat made this a blast to play.
  5. The Outer Worlds - Very refreshing to get a Fallout-style RPG not riddled by bugs. Somewhat short for an RPG, but I enjoyed it the entire time. Top-notch writing.
  6. Batman Arkham Knight - Another great installment in a fantastic series. Amazing combat and stealth, I even enjoyed the Batmobile.
  7. Assassin’s Creed Syndicate - Might be a controversial opinion, but for me, this is my favorite Assassin’s Creed game. Love the setting of London in the industrial revolution. Liked the characters and the missions were fun. Particularly enjoyed the assassination missions, those were the highlight of the game for me.
  8. Titanfall 2 - Great campaign with a good story, as well as a good multiplayer made this my 2nd favorite shooter of the generation.
  9. Rocket League - Although I don’t play it anymore, I’ve sunk hundreds of hours into this game. Nice concept and fun to play.
  10. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - As a big fan of the original, I was very excited to hear that the series would finally be coming back to home consoles. The game didn’t let me down. A very unique and underrated strategy game.
2 Likes
  1. Division
  2. Metal Gear Solid: V
  3. Ori and The Will of The Wisp
  4. Gears 5
  5. Nier: Automata
  6. Ghost of Tsushima
  7. Titanfall - 1st game that made me enjoy FPS
  8. Uncharted: Lost Legacy
  9. Detroit: Become Human
  10. God of War

(These are not in any order as that would just take way too much brain processing)

1 Like
  1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

2. God of War

3. Star Wars Battlefront II

4. Injustice 2

5. Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain

6. Star Wars Battlefront

7. Killer Instinct

8. Uncharted 4

9. Street Fighter V

10. Mortal Kombat X

2 Likes
  1. Destiny 2
  2. Dragon Age Inquisition
  3. Gone Home
  4. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  5. Borderlands 3
  6. Stardew Valley
  7. Fallout 4
  8. Gears 5
  9. The Last of Us Part II
  10. Mass Effect Andromeda
1 Like
  1. Ori and the will of the wisps. That game made me cry for hours. It was such an emotional roller coaster

2. Outer wilds. This game was such a joy from start to finish.

3. Horizon zero dawn. First game this gen that really captivated me.

4. Katana zero. This game has among the best platforming I’ve played and a really great story.

5. Slay the spire. This game has great replay value and always fun to return to every so often.

6. Forza horizon 4. Fun racing game.

7. PSO 2. First MMO I found fun to grind.

8. War thunder. Growing up I wanted a game like war thunder and it is what I imagined it to be.

9. Mass effect Andromeda. For all it’s faults I found it really fun to play and it’s more mass effect.

10. Ace combat 7. It was nice to see ace combat return to the great formula that worked in the PS2 games.

2 Likes
  1. Witcher 3
  2. Kingdom Come deliverance
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2
  4. Alien Isolation
  5. Thief - (Yea I actually loved that game)
  6. WRC 5 - was fun as hell and had more balanced difficulty then newer WRC’s
  7. Dirt Rally
  8. TitanFall - MP was awesome in the first game
  9. Titanfall 2 - SP campaign was awesome MP was not
  10. Layers of Fear - My favorite horror game of all time
1 Like
  1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Halo 5
  3. Halo MCC
  4. Battlefield 5
  5. Rocket League
  6. Destiny 2
  7. DOOM Eternal
  8. Titanfall 2
  9. The Witcher 3
  10. Wasteland 3
2 Likes
  1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. Titanfall
  3. Rocket League
  4. Killer Instinct
  5. God of War
  6. Rise of the Tomb Raider
  7. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  8. Ratchet and Clank
  9. Streets of Rage 4
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3 Likes

1 Halo MCC

2 Assassin’s Creed Odyssey

3 Assassin’s Creed Origins

4 Quantum Break

5 Forza Horizon 3

6 Forza Horizon 4

7 Assassin’s Creed Syndicate

8 Ghost Recon: Wildlands

9 What Remains of Edith Finch

10 Crackdown 3

3 Likes

Ah, the first brave soul to do it!

4 Likes

1 - Prey

2 - Doom

3 - Ori and the Will of the Wisps

4 - Dark Souls III

5 - Bloodborne

6 - The Last Guardian

7 - Kingdom Come Deliverance

8 - Sea of Thieves

9 - Zelda Breath of the Wild

10 - Recore Definitive Edition

2 Likes

Yeah… I was expecting some sort of reaction to that one. :smirk: But it’s a pretty fun game, despite many things that could have been improved.

I loved the first one, but going from the 3rd back to the 1st, the movement feel is sooo much better in the 3rd. Especially once you get the wingsuit /abilities maxed

3 Likes
  1. The Witcher 3
  2. Forza Horizon 4
  3. Ori and The Blind Forest
  4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. Red Dead Redemption 2
  6. Forza Horizon 3
  7. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  8. Assassin’s Creed Origins
  9. Quantum Break
  10. Ryse
2 Likes
  1. Kentucky Route Zero

A work of art. So many levels of meaning and wonderful sights and sounds in a world like no other. So good.

1. What Remains of Edith Finch

2. Shadow of the Tomb Raider

The Tomb Raider game I’ve been waiting for my whole life (or at least since the first one)

1. INSIDE

2. The Witness

3. Hitman 2

Spent more hours on this than any other game this gen. An incredible sandbox.

1. Life is Strange

2. Control

3. Manifold Garden

4. Dishonored 2

3 Likes
  1. Wasteland 3- Some might think that this is recency bias, but nope. With the exception of the crashes and party members not having as much banter and reactivity as I’d like this was basically a perfect game for me. For what I like, the best soundtrack in any game ever by a wide margin.

2. Wasteland 2- This game was actually designed more for the hardcore player than 2. I understand why then “soften” it up some for W3, cause W2 made you work for it more. Because of W2 I expected 3 to be magnificent, but W2 stunned me with how great it was.

3. The Outer Worlds- It’s strange, the internet tries adamantly to convince people that they shouldn’t love some games as much as they do. This is one of those games, but no, it is fantastic. Solid gameplay, good main story, top tier companions and sidequests. I just started Peril on Gorgon tonight and I can already tell that the writing is as strong as ever.

4. Dragon Age Inquisition- Another game that people try to argue is not as good as it is. It doesn’t have my favorite type of gameplay, but it is still good and the characters and story are simply phenomenal.

5. Pillars of Eternity- Phenomenal world with a fantastic story, some of the companions were a little too enigmatic, that isn’t inherently a bad thing, but they brought the story down a little bit for me.

6. Greedfall- Nothing in this game is best in class, but it was simply one my favorite games of the generation. If Spiders had EA or Microsoft money I really believe they could make a GOTY game.

7. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire- I much preferred the companions in Deadfire over POE( of course some were in POE too), but the main story just didn’t hit enough to put this above the first game.

I didn’t finish the last 3 games on my list, and in some pseudo objective sense they might be “better” than some of the games above, but there were aspects of the game that made me stop playing these games about half way through.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt- Story, Quests, and characters were as good as it gets, but the movement and combat eventually made me tap out. What’s crazy is that, for me, if W3 had Greedfall’s combat then it would be number 2 on this list easily.

2. Prey- Once again, the story, and characters are A-1, but the combat(weapons choices, enemy types,) were enough to make me stop playing even though they made sense for the game world. This game is brilliant though in so many ways.

3. Divinity Original Sin 2- You guessed it, the combat made me pull the plug on this one too. The gameplay being designed around so much magic use eventually wore me down. Still the time I put in was really enjoyable and I can’t wait to play BG III by this team. Although most people love the game for combat, I was more impressed with the improvement in writing from their previous games.

2 Likes

Going to make my list official:

1. Halo 5 (multiplayer) - Most balanced competitive arena multiplayer game I’ve experienced on a console
  2. Dark Souls 3 - First time experiencing a Miyazaki game. Greatly impacted this generation and the games I played after that. Turned me on to an entire genre. My new favorite developer.
  3. Xcom 2 - First time I had played a turn based strategy game in 2 decades. Thanks to this game, it’s now one of my preferred genres.
  4. Bloodbourne - The Miyazaki experience continues.
  5. Ori and the Will of the Whisps - 2D Metroid is #2 on my favorite games of all time. This was the best game I played in the genre since console gaming went 3D.
  6. Dead Cells - Another game that turned me onto an entire genre. Never knew what a Rogue-lite was. Now it’s one of my favorite genres. Very few games feel as good as this one this generation.
  7. Sekiro - …and the Miyazaki game addiction continues…
  8. Cuphead - Visually the most interesting to look at this generation. What surprised me was how well it controlled and how addictive the challenge was.
  9. Devil May Cry 5 - The best fast hack and slash game I’ve played since Ninja Gaiden Black
  10. Slay the Spire - 4th new genre I found this generation. Never played a card game before. Once I discovered this one, couldn’t stop playing.

Really struggling to leave Wasteland 3 off the list so still subject to change.

Want to also thank everyone for taking the time to do this right. Going to make sure everyone who’s taken this time will have fun with the results. Already collecting game data for games mentioned.

3 Likes
  1. Sea of Thieves - to this day, I’ve never had more laugh out loud fun with friends. Pure design brilliance when it all comes together.
  2. Ori and the Will of the Wisps - the perfect sequel to a game I already adored.
  3. Inside - WTF.
  4. What Remains of Edith Finch - rare for games to emotionally impact me. This was an unforgettable experience.
  5. Lone Echo - (Oculus) - Immersive, ground breaking experience in VR. I can’t wait for the sequel.
  6. Lonely Mountains: Downhill - The best “one more try” game I’ve played all generation.
  7. Titanfall 2 - An Outstanding campaign got this one on the list all on it’s own.
  8. Beat Saber - (Oculus) The best, sweatiest party game going.
  9. Ori and the Blind Forest - Moon Studios first outing was a masterclass.
  10. Halo 5 - Despite, in hindsight a mish mash of a campaign, multiplayer was great. And I’ve played more Forge mode than you’ve had hot dinners.
3 Likes
  1. Batman Arkham Knight. All I ever wanted in a Batman game. Had it’s technical difficulties, but it was awesome.
  2. Forza Horizon 4. Best racing game released ever. Until the next Forza Horizon game I suspect.
  3. Gears 5. One of the best looking games on the Xbox and it brings the story to another level. Loved it.
  4. Wolfenstein: The New Order. Best gunplay in a shooter, imo. Great story and atmosphere.
  5. Mad Max. Most underrated game of the generation. Upgrading your bases and car in an open world with a lot to discover. Cars, guns and upgrading.
  6. Rage 2. See Mad Max, but add some really, really, really cool gunplay. Starts a bit slow, otherwise would have been higher.
  7. F1 2020. Best F1 racer Codemasters has made. My Team really added something.
  8. Far Cry 5. Absolute freedom in a cool setting. Humor mixed with a deeper message under the surface.
  9. Bulletstorm. There was an enhanced version. Simple shooter, but so much fun. Deserves a sequel!*
  10. Titan Fall 2. Campaign was awesome. Loved it.
  11. Katana Zero. Mature, violent, addictive. I felt really cool clearing out those rooms with my katana.

*If number 8 is not allowed (its not a full remake, but it’s a remaster with additional content), Than the latter two move up in the list.

So much other great games as well. Sunset Overdrive, Dishonoured, Quantum Break, THPS2 remake, both Ori games, Minecraft Dungeons, I could go on. So many great games have been released this generation. It’s nuts.

2 Likes

It was 11 for me

1 Like

You like to suffer I see ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes