XboxEra Data and Analytics - Vote Your Top Games of the Gen Now!

Let Your Favorite Games of the Generation Be Known!

As we count down to the final days of the generation, it’s time for Xbox Era to tally the votes. We will compile the results and then report our XboxEra’s favorite games of the generation based on the scoring system. It won’t end there. Will use your lists to provide additional insights about this communities tastes such as favorite genres, favorite 1st party games, top ranked Indie, top ranked game in the major genres, favorite publishers, proportion of AAA vs Indies, average Metacritic and percentage of multiplayer vs single player games that make your top 10s. If there are other attributes you’d like to see explored (that we can realistically dig up the data for) suggest them along with your list.

Keep in mind that all you need to do is list the games! We’ll find the rest of the data.

The Rules
  • Write your list 1 through 10 by Saturday November 7th (to give me a chance to provide the results before the new console’s launch)
  • If you decide to change your votes, edit your initial post in this thread. I won’t officially record your rankings until after midnight Nov 7th.
  • All games on all platforms (Xbox One, Switch, PS4 and PC) released between the time Xbox One and PS4 launched and now count with the exception of remasters. Full remakes do count if there were improvements beyond resolution and frame rate. Examples of games that would count are Resident Evil 2, Master Chief Collection and Shadow of the Colossus. Games that wouldn’t count are Last of Us Remastered, Dark Souls 1 Remastered and GTA 5.
  • If you cannot think of 10 games, that’s OK. Your top games will still receive their points according to rank.
Scoring System
  • I will assign 10 points to your #1 game, 9 points to #2, 8 points to #3 and so on.
  • If you cannot choose an order, your games will split the points.

Comments about the games you vote for are not required however they’re always great to hear and may be used in the final article.

7 Likes
  1. Forza Horizon 4

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

3. The Outer Worlds

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

5. Wolfenstein: The New Order

6. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

7. Super Mario Odyssey

8. Fallout 4

9. Gears Tactics

10. Microsoft Flight Simulator

2 Likes
  1. Ori 2
  2. State of decay 2
  3. Halo MCC
  4. Minecraft
  5. Gears 5
  6. Halo 5
  7. Destiny 2
  8. Red dead redemption 2
  9. Ori 1
  10. Recore
2 Likes
  1. Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  2. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. Apex Legends
  4. Resident Evil 2
  5. The Last of Us Part 2
  6. State of Decay 2
  7. Uncharted 4
  8. Alien Isolation
  9. Sunset Overdrive
  10. Titanfall
4 Likes

Hmmm, let’s see.

1. TLOU 2
  2. Zelda Botw
  3. Wolfenstein the New order
  4. God of war
  5. Super mario odyssey
  6. Horizon zero dawn
  7. Splatoon 2
  8. Bloodborne
  9. Cuphead
  10. Metro exodus
1 Like
  1. Forza Horizon 4

Racing was always one of my favorite genres, but as the years went by I got bored by the usual formula applied in said games. The same can not be said about Forza Horizon 4, though. The game has perfected the festival setting introduced in the first game, combining it with a huge and gorgeous open world that significantly changes after each season. It is impossible to get bored in this giant playground!

1. Super Mario Odyssey

Super Mario Odyssey is 3D Mario at its prime. Beautiful visuals, a great variety in levels and some great puzzles and platform sections make it really fun to chase all those moons.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Breath of the Wild is one of those rare masterpieces that redefine a whole genre in such a way that many games start to copy its formula right away. The sense of freedom and discovery make it one of the greatest adventure games ever made – and it is not higher on the list just because of those damn breakable weapons.

1. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps

4. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

5. Gears 5

6. Shadow of the Tomb Raider

7. Quantum Break

Subject to change.

1 Like
  1. Breath of the wild
  2. Far cry 5
  3. Forza horizon 4
  4. Streets of rage 4
  5. Halo Mcc

Between work and kids i really don’t get time to game like i used to, 360 era and before.

These five i have definitely enjoyed the most.

1 Like
  1. Witcher 3 - Superb
  2. Dark Souls 3 - Global Phenomenon
  3. Shadow of Mordor - Genuine Originality
  4. Assassins Creed Origins - Saved a franchise
  5. Sherlock Holmes C&P - Unique challenge
  6. MGS V - Technically excellent
  7. Battlefield 1 - 100% immersion
  8. Far Cry 4 - Truly “play how you want”
  9. Quantum Break - Great concept
  10. Alien Isolation - Unmatched atmosphere
2 Likes

This is difficult! Could easily have had Horizon 4, Cuphead, Stick of Truth, and any number of other games that were a blast. We are truly spoiled with choice.

And Hellblade! Good luck whittling down your lists…

1 Like

Im gonna put some time into thinking about this one

1 Like
  1. Destiny
  2. The Witcher 3
  3. Red Dead Redemption 2
  4. God of War
  5. Titanfall 2
  6. Dying Light
  7. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
  8. Forza Horizon 4
  9. Ghosts of Tsushima
  10. Wasteland 3
1 Like
  1. Forza Horizon 4
  2. Destiny 2
  3. God of War
  4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
  5. Hellblade
  6. Overwatch
  7. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  8. Titanfall
  9. Tomb Raider: Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  10. No Mans Sky
1 Like
  1. Axiom Verge
  2. Witcher 3
  3. Halo MCC
  4. Destiny 1
  5. Forza Horizon 3
  6. Sea of Thieves
  7. Gears 4
  8. Gears 5
  9. Dead Cells
  10. Doom 2016
4 Likes
  • 1: BOTW
  • 2: Titanfall 1
  • 3: Witcher 3
  • 4: AC Origins
  • 5: FFXV
  • 6: Destiny 1
  • 7: Gears 5
  • 8: Uncharted 4
  • 9: Sunset Overdrive
  • 10: Overwatch
  • 1:PS4 | 2:Switch | 3:Xbox One | 4:Android|5:Stadia

2 Likes
    1. Sea of Thieves

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

3. Prey

4. Forza Horizon 2

5. Halo 5 (multiplayer)

6. Sunset Overdrive

7. Ori and the blind Forest

8. Titanfall 2

9. Horizon Zero Dawn

10. Breath of the Wild

Honestly it is hard to pic a order under the third place. There where a lot amazing games I could list easily.

Honorable mentions: Dark Souls 3, The last Guardian, Hellblade, Gravity Rush, Dying Light, Inside, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Spiderman

3 Likes
    1. Ori will of the wisps
    2. Hades
    3. Doom eternal
    4. Sunset overdrive
    5. Ghost of tsushima
    6. Forza horizon 4
    7. Titanfall
    8. Sekiro
    9. Hellblade
    10. Outer worlds
    6 Likes
    1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the wild
    2. Sea of thieves
    3. Divinity: Original Sin 2
    4. Bloodborne
    5. Doom Eternal
    6. Super Mario Odyssey
    7. Witcher 3
    8. Sekiro: Shadows die twice
    9. Monster hunter world
    10. Nier: Automata

I would have included Halo 5 multiplayer. I love that. I however HATE Halo 5 campaign so it got booted off the list

3 Likes
    1. Cities Skylines
    2. Sea of Thieves
    3. Planet Zoo
    4. Forza Horizon 4
    5. F1 2020
    6. Ori and the Will of the wisps
    7. Spiritfarer
    8. Anno 1800
    9. Frostpunk
    10. Fortnite
    2 Likes
    1. Rocket League

What else is there to say? I have over 2 months of playtime. I still play it practically daily with my fiancé. The gameplay loop was fun from the first matches when I could barely touch a ball, to now when I regularly score aerials and compete in tournament mode. No other multiplayer has ever kept me this engaged for this long, all other classics were games I went on and off throughout the years.

1. Call Of Duty: Black Ops III

My second most played multiplayer game of the generation and my second favourite Call of Duty game of all time, behind 2012’s Black Ops 2. This game finally combined advanced movement with the formula well, offering a memorable and ambitious campaign too, crazy zombie experiences, and the best soundtrack of the franchise. So good.

1. TrackMania Turbo

Just one more round, just one more go. This incredible arcade racer has accompanied me through many years, as even last month I went back to clean up some campaign levels despite having played since launch. Fantastic gameplay loop, insane amount of content, skill ceiling through the roof - the perfect formula for a racing game.

1. Doom Eternal

An absolutely bombastic single player campaign, with some of the best combat setpieces ever seen in the shooter genre. Adrenaline-fueled gameplay loop, incredible graphics, extremely enjoyable soundtrack, and fan service for all the fans of the franchise. In many ways, the best DOOM ever.

1. Forza Horizon 3

While the 4th installment did improve on some aspects, the overall experience of 3 can be simply recapped as: the best open world racer ever made. It also looks insanely good to this day.

1. Assassin’s Creed: Origins

Possibly the best Assassin’s Creed thus far, definitely up there with 2 at the very least. While the story and characters aren’t as good as the classics, no other open world game managed to offer such a vibrant and exciting historic location, and the hundreds or so hours I dedicated to 100%-ing this game is testament to its sheer quality.

1. RiME

I don’t cry with videogames. This is the 2nd time I went astonishingly close. Fantastic places, beautiful atmospheres, perfect storyline. One for the ages.

1. INSIDE

Limbo’s spiritual follow-up could not disappoint, and it didn’t. A haunting and memorable ride from start to finish, with an ending that will keep you discussing for long.

1. Outlast 2

A controversial continuation of the franchise, but I personally adored how it tackled a Charles Manson-esque crazy cult, digging into the minds and bodies of our scared protagonists. The ending is sheer brilliance.

1. SUPERHOT

One of the most unique games released this generation. Time only moves when you do. Sounds fun for what is almost a turn-based shooter, but in reality the story and lore hide something far deeper and more sinister. Very memorable ride.

4 Likes
    1. Sea of Thieves
    2. Inside
    3. Forza Horizon 4
    4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    5. Sunset Overdrive
    6. Gears 5
    7. The Witcher 3
    8. Halo: MCC
    9. Titanfall
    10. Cuphead
    3 Likes