XboxEra Community Hangout |OT9| Waiting for Developer_E3

UC4 was my favourite as well, such a good game

I personally felt the original trilogy all fell apart in the last sections and just became an unfun mess to play, but I ended up really enjoying the fourth game. It avoids these issues and is a nice step up in writing.

1 Like

Maybe I should power through 3 then
 I can’t really skip over things like that unfortunately hehe.

It’s weird I seen more of a marketing effort for Persona 5 than most of their first party games. I don’t know what’s up with Microsoft marketing, but they def need to fix it. I didn’t even know about this trailer until I seen your post, and I am a person that is on social media daily

Its a very short trailer for a game that is likely months away. I understand wanting Xbox to maybe put more eyes on it but its not like the game is coming out tomorrow.

7 Likes

I don’t think Microsoft’s marketing is perfect but it is far from bad and they tend to really ramp up marketing when the game is closer to release. They have metrics on this stuff so I am going to assume they know what they are doing.

10 Likes

All true. Sub-optimal marketing I’d say, especially lacking in global markets, but the way some treat it like it’s nonexistent is unproductive. We know that close to release they do ramp up marketing like you said. Deathloop was nicely promoted on Xbox, I don’t doubt it it will be for Redfall as well, in more capacity. But I think some people really want a grand marketing cycle like Cyberpunk for every game there is :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Steam alone (since Activision also has Battle.net).

2 Likes

it’s frankly laughable that “acquisition” chat has replaced game chat, as the bedrock of leaker culture. it’s the easiest thing to hide behind, because there are so few actual leaks from these types of things - read, actually never any, for legal reasons - it is the perfect opportunity for a grifter to suggest that something is happening because there cannot be any paper trail, giving plausible deniability when it obviously won’t happen

and if it does happen, then it’s clear that they were just lucky. folk involved in these things are bound to iron clad NDAs and it’s just impossible to think that a random person would have been able to get inside one of these without also being told not to leak it.

with a game leak, you can guess that there certain games in development, but not mergers. you can’t know, and you can’t guess really.

7 Likes

Yeah, it seems there isn’t much of a difference between those two. But if you go back to the non insider dashboard, it’s a big difference and not for the better in my opinion. Here’s mine.

I like this. But it seems this is gone in the new one? We can’t customise the boxes anymore? Overall it certainly isn’t an improvement at all.

3 Likes

MS marketing can be hit or miss, sometimes it’s great, sometimes it seems very lackluster, one problem they do seem to have they have too many twitter profiles and the info/trailers often gets posted on accounts with very little following

If they want to have all of those accounts, that’s fine but the official Xbox account should be posting pretty much all of that stuff instead of relying on much smaller accounts to get the word out

This seems like basic common sense so im not surprised why people question their marketing at times

Iv seen people talk about how maybe they are cutting back on marketing costs and just relying on GP/word of mouth but that’s all the more reason to be posting that stuff everywhere, it literally costs them nothing

1 Like

The thing is we don’t know what agreement was made between MS and SEGA to get them on Xbox. SEGA may have stipulated some form of advertising arrangement.

Alternatively MS could be doing it to keep SEGA/Atlus sweet in order to ensure future games come to Xbox/GP.

2 Likes

The interesting thing is that games on first party will hopefully ramp up, but they’re going to be ongoing content, right? So a marketing push is not as much of a spike at launch, but a continuous plan showing what is being added. If GP subs can pay for some, if not all of a first party game’s development, then they’ll be pushing it as something that’s always there rather than a tailing off of games that are released traditionally.

Like, come for the Halos, stay for the Red Falls. Come for the Starfields, stay for the Dooms.

1 Like

The CMA

7 Likes

Completely agree on this, for example games as unique and excellent as Psychonauts 2 or Ori 2 will always be in the service and they will always offer value and of course a high quality experience for every new Game Pass/Xbox owner even if they subscribe/get in the Xbox ecosystem in 2024-2025. As you correctly said typical marketing rules (focusing there only at launch) and also the old-fashioned success metric of sold copies can’t apply on the current Xbox ecosystem. We are not talking about games being forgotten in the super market bins, those games are there and should still be relevant in 2025 IMO.

Wow

CMA: “No foreclosure there” :disguised_face: :joy:

1 Like

Yeah
 That’s some straight-up BS.

1 Like

I think the big budget marketing will start with either forza or starfield. Not sure how hard they will market redfall. Which is weird tbh. Every first party should be marketed imo, but I can’t see the finances.

2 Likes
  • Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town got an Xbox port

• Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town skipped Xbox

• Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life gets an Xbox version.

5 Likes

I notice that the Xbox and PS ports for this are actually next gen only (despite being a Switch game lol), but Olive Town was only a PS4 port. Mineral Town was Xbox One though.

I don’t know if that has something to do with it but it’s weird nonetheless. Watch as Xbox isn’t getting the next R-Type game either but will get the one after that.

Another idea is maybe they believe this one will have more sales potential on Xbox as it looks like it will arrive day and date with the other versions instead of being a late port.

1 Like