2 Likes

Kojima has gone too far this time.

2 Likes

I keep seeing rumors that WWE has been sold to the Saudis. :grimacing:

About to be renamed to The MBS

5 Likes

Ugh, and there was me optimistic about WWE for a bit after Vince left

3 Likes

Yeah, he still owned like 88% of the shares, so I was always worried he would just force his way back in. Recently there were reports that he did just that with the rumor being his intent to possibly sell the company.

This will probably allow him to regain creative control once again, only this time, no one will care about any abuses past or present. Yay! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

It was good while it lasted. My thoughts are with the women, Sami and KO

6 Likes

Was hoping for Tony Khan (AEW) to purchase WWE. Oh well.

Wrestling is so weird to me. Probably the weirdest thing americans like. Never understood the appeal.

2 Likes

That would have been interesting for sure. I never believed there was a chance Vince would sell to Tony though.

What’s not to like about oiled up muscle dudes pretend fighting? :smile:

2 Likes

Maybe then he’d have more than three wrestlers worth watching on his program.

Pro Wrestling is far bigger in Japan and Mexico than it is in the US these days. I had given up on wrestling over a decade ago just after Eddie Guerrero’s passing. I only got back into it a few years ago mostly due to Joshi promotions ( Stardom in particular) and New Japan.

4 Likes

It’s entertaining and in a lot of ways, more realistic than people want to believe. And if you’re someone like me who will also watch New Japan Pro Wrestling every year for Wrestle Kingdom and experience a match where one guy is bleeding all over the place while the other guy has his right eye cut and swollen, it becomes even more entertaining to watch.

Yeah, sad but true.

As someone who prefers AEW over WWE by far, it’s more the fact that Khan simply lacks the experience needed to run a wrestling promotion and lacks having an actual booker that knows how to build angles and matches.

I honestly have 20+ wrestlers on AEW that I like watching where as with WWE, it’s maybe 5.

4 Likes

2 Likes

I mostly watch Stardom these days. I was slowly getting back into WWE thanks to HHH because of early NXT. But now that Vince is back, ugh. A shame as Asuka has been teasing a return to form on Twitter.

As for AEW , aside from MJF who is legitimately entertaining there are not many wrestlers there I can latch onto as someone I would tune in to watch. I saw Kenny Omega and the Bucks since back in their Bullet Club days. But they never did anything for me tbh.

I never got their popularity. Their women’s division is…not good. I really like Jade Cargill, Im a huge fan of Hikaru Shida (who is wasted there IMO) but watching Stardom and comparing the two. Night and day.

The Briscos is one of the best tag teams ever. They don’t put them on TV. They misuse FTR as well and they got rid of the biggest money maker (you know who). As you say Tony has some Talent there but he’s a terrible booker.

This is why I think it’s important how MS is completely fine with side projects like Pentiment, Bleeding Edge, and Grounded.

Greenlighting and supporting developer creativity keeps people happy and within the company.

I wonder if MS could learn from this particular situation. Not that this is a problem, this is the natural evolution of the industry, but rather if they could capitalize on certain talent interested in creating new studios within their publisher framework.

This new developer is going to have troubles raising funds and finding a publisher. It’s going to take many years for them to get off the ground to even create a prototype to show to publishers.

If MS could fast track all of this within their own talent, allowing them to start off offshoot studios with proper funding, it could be a win/win/win situation between them, the talent, and gamers (who get to see their vision sooner than later).

1 Like

I see a lot of people trying to run with this as FUD. It’s funny how regular shit that happens in the industry goes on at Xbox and is treated like some doomsday scenario. Be funny if at the end of the day their new open world IP ( which likely isn’t coming out anytime soon ) ends up being published by MS anyway. I remember when Playground games was working on a multiplatform game at one point too, until they weren’t. Either way these weren’t the only talent in PG studios as I recall.

3 Likes

I’ll probably watch the Kairi and Sasha Banks match in February if it’s said to be good which it should be. I watched NXT for a few months from Fall 2019 to early 2020. Once Covid hit and everyone from NXT was elevated to the main roster, I stopped watching.

MJF is entertaining but he’s above average in the ring at best. I’m a huge fan of Omega and Young Bucks but only watched them in AEW even though I knew who they were and whatnot from my friend who already watched them for years at that point.

Yeah, I agree about their women’s division. It’s mediocre. Shida is great and I like Hayter. Cargill is physically impressive but she’s extremely green and raw. Needs a lot more experience which on a side note is why I wish Khan would make ROH a development fed like NXT.

As for the Briscoes, I agree but them not being on TV is a WB/Discovery call, not Tony’s. FTR had a great run as the ROH, IWGP and AAA tag team champions. I don’t think Tony put the AEW belts on them due to them not wanting to sign an extension as their contracts expire in April if I remember correctly. As for Punk, im a fan of his but you can’t have someone like that who started a fight backstage, goes off during the media scrum plus he got injured both times Tony put the title on him. And while they were making money with him, their viewership only had about a 10% increase give or take so he’s just not worth the money and headache. Plus, he’s older and in my opinion, Omega and Bucks are worth far more especially in the long term. I agree with Tony being a horrible booker.

1 Like

Also still salty about how they brought in Jay fucking Lethal and then have him job to nearly every wrestler there. I remember him and AJ Styles from back in the day TNA’s X-Division and Jay should at least be as big as AJ is in WWE.

As for Punk I have the suspicion that it will eventually come out that maybe he wasn’t the sole one starting shit in the locker room. We all know how shit gets when “cliques” are involved and I feel like that is the case here. Nobody else except for one group seemed to take issue with him in the locker room.

2 Likes

Jay Lethal has been wasted. And why Jeff Jarrett is wrestling is beyond me. One match against Sting/Allin where Sting should have made him submit with the scorpion death lock and that was it.

Punk reportedly cheap shotted Nick Jackson and Jericho appears to not want Punk back. Just too much of a headache at this point plus he’s injury prone and in ring wise, he’s a shell of his former self outside of the dog collar match he had with MJF.

2 Likes

Today is the day! Maybe.

Making good progress on Tales of Arise, and decided to add Otogi to my backlog. Whoops.

2 Likes