XboxEra Community Hangout |OT8| Waiting for E3 2023

You mean once GTA IV come out or even the ones like GTA 3, VC, SA? And Bully, Max Payne 3?

Well…you can pick up a ton of stuff in RDR2 just for the heck of it. Enter a store and you can either browse the catalogue or pick up and examine all the items in the storeshelves itself. They definitely improved a lot over their previous games with that.

I understand, their gameplay design is very restrictive. GTA V is a great driving and flying sandbox with a beautiful backdrop for me, and that’s about it, the normal walking mechanics and controls are so dusted, and the story and mission design are outdated, with ok shooting (basically automatic).

I adore Bully and RDR1 from them, those games I thought had a great balance of everything work together nicely.

1 Like

I can absolutely understand the criticism about the slow movement and everything but it’s never been something that annoyed me. In RDR2 with the weight to the character adds to the realism and it feels fine for me. If I then go back to something like AC Origins…yes Bayek moves way smoother but it’s like there is zero weight to the character. Feels cheap.

2 Likes

They could’ve stuck closer to the middle ground they had in RDR1 which was nice on the realism and also fun fronts. There’s also a game like TLOU2 that’s also very much about the realism and immersion but it was also smooth to play at the same time.

That’s true. But I guess someone at Rockstar is dead set on this kind of stuff. I wonder if that was Dan Houser and GTA 6 might have different feeling movement. Which I would be OK with as long as it isn’t a super drastic change.

Maybe options for the realism would have been nice for those that really dislike it in RDR2.

This is probably very close to the truth.

1 Like

RDR is a chore to play for a long period of time.

A lot of people hating on RDR 2 right now so let me balance it up .

RDR 2 is one of the greatest games of all time . :goat:

8 Likes

If we remove the graphics of RDR, would it still be one of the greatest?

yup . It wont be if we remove the narrative .

An enjoyable world to be in, but I cooled on the story near the end.

I don’t remember that many people praising the narrative of the game though. Most of the people praise graphical fidelity and various details. And even now, people praise it due to minor details but almost nobody mentions the plot.

I don’t “hate” it hate it, I like so much stuff about it it’s just that I disdain that it has certain things that just stop me from playing it much, kinda like my relationship with soulslike games. There’s a world there that looks amazing that I want to explore, but there’s these “features” that it has that just stop me from doing that lol

sure . I can understand where you are coming from . I also think they should have included an option to skip animation and auto pick up stuff , like in TLOU 2 .

Yeah, even though the full animations in TLOU2 weren’t really bothering in the first place. But R* are probably a bit too proud about their work to do something like that

Oh man, Turn 10 will drip feed the information over the next 10 months.

Agony.

2 Likes

I’m not mentioning the plot because I take my sweet times with games like these. A story mission here, a bounty hunting mission there, some hunting and then off to the trapper to make new clothes, go to camp, interact with folks, eat, sleep etc. I have not seen much of the story yet except prologue and bits after it, so far I’m loving it.

I love the whole vibe at the camp, the characters and how they interact, the cutscenes, it’s all very well made and even though we’re talking outlaws here, they are likeable.

1 Like

The story is amazing . One of the best .

I can definitely see it being a lot better than GTA V’s. I didn’t think the story in that game was all that. RDR and RDR2 are way more serious with everything, and for me personally better written.

I agree. Im 40 years old and have played a LOT of games in my life RDR2 is top 10 for me

4 Likes