XboxEra Community Hangout |OT8| Waiting for E3 2023

I found that interesting too, they don’t think there are any other games which can compete with it, which is clearly false. They also mention that GamePass couldn’t be caught up with despite technically having more subscribers.

The main thing I found interesting is:

“Players choose their gaming platform based on pricing, technical features, and available game types. The available content is the main factor for the player to choose a platform.”

I made a similar point that console exclusives are one of the main deciding factors for potential console owners, I also mentioned that PlayStation have exclusives in certain genres (game types) which Xbox doesn’t really offer and was shot down by the usual characters.

3 Likes

ya there are a lot of people here who seem to think exclusives dont matter as long as its on gamepass which i disagree with 100%

3 Likes

I’ve got a review for Far Cry 5 coming tomorrow morning. Went ahead and did it since it was put into Game Pass a month ago on both console and PC and I finally have those cool console/pc/cloud animations that Sik has been using! huzzah

7 Likes

Seeing Sony comments about COD is very interesting because I’ve always felt gamers don’t know how huge COD and its marketing is. Like Sony mention you just can’t create a COD overnight and it’s a huge risk to invest in a studio to create as big of a blockbuster. Even if COD remains multiplatform having marketing, gamepass day ones, exclusive perks and even dlc would do major damage to Sony and they know this.

6 Likes

Does a subscription service count as a platform, or is that only for the console itself? The statement is also coming from a company that is barely dipping their toes into subscription services as well, so not quite sure it considers the full context.

We’re live again this Thursday, follow the link if you have any questions you’d like to ask us.

1 Like

It’s actually the figure of Gamepass after CoD launches on Gamepass :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How can 25m sub service have a 70% share when other service has 47m subs in the same market?

2 Likes

Thr ps plus sub is probably in the pay to play online just like nintendo.

Gamepass is purely a games subscription service.

If we take into account ps extra and premium and gamepass then 70 percent sounds about right.

Exclusives aren’t the most important factor ≠ exclusives don’t matter

Even Sony’s own statement they say pricing, technical features, available content. They aren’t mentioning “exclusive” per se. Sony’s own PS4 “win” wasn’t based on exclusives, it was based on pricing, technical features, and a competitor doing almost everything wrong.

Again: “Exclusives aren’t the most important factor” ≠ exclusives don’t matter

3 Likes

They should keep it multi, even add additional platforms like Switch. Just make COD the best FPS on Playstation and strangle every air out of Sonys 10+ GaaS projects :+1:

6 Likes

I would say it forms part of a platform as by getting people signing up to X subscription service you are influencing users to spend their money on your platform, especially when you consider things like MTX and DLC etc.

When I referred to subscriber numbers I was referring to what they have done with PS Plus. We know Xbox has over 25 million subscribers, but don’t have an official figure. When PlayStation rebranded their subscription service they converted all their 47 million+ users to the new service, technically Xbox Gold could do the same thing to catch up but PS technically has more subscribers.

The quote does not say “aren’t” it says “is the main factor”.

The available content is the main factor for the player to choose a platform

I personally don’t know if it’s the biggest factor, but in PS own words it is the ‘main factor’.

1 Like

Available content does not specifically mean exclusive content.

Exclusives are a differentiation like price, features, etc. that do play a role but not a main factor to most people who buy the console. It would be ridiculous to suggest exclusives are what sell ~ 200-250m consoles when most people just want a console to play games on and in more places in the world Playstation is just the default and available brand to get, regardless of the exclusive content.

There are many people who will consider exclusive content but they would be minority in the whole. 20-25% of console sales could be at best attributed to exclusive content.

1 Like

Yeah keep COD multiplat but put it in Game Pass day one. Also make sure that every other platform gets the Xbox logo first and maybe even the hint that it’s available on Game Pass and you are set. I wouldn’t risk taking it off other platforms.

There is also the possibility to do bi-annual releases and free some developers to work on new original ideas with the franchise which you could make exclusive then.

1 Like

xbox had very litle exclusive content last gen and look what happened. they did well at the start of that gen when they did have the content after that the rest is history. While I agree exclusives are not the be all end all they play a bigger role than most people think. Hbo as the biggest cable channel for years. Netflix grew into largly what it is based not entirly but mainly exclusive content. I think the content is comming for xbox but it cant just be gamepass. they need stuff you an only get in its ecosytem so when people say the next crash for example will be multiplat I just think its a bad move

2 Likes

put it on playstation but release all multiplayer modes a year after like sony did with destiney. Same with diablo 4. its obviously comming to all systems as its pre aquisition but eventually they will add a new character. just dont release it on playstation till a year after xbox( hell do 2 years like ff). People will go where the full package is.

2 Likes

They are estimated to have sold 50m consoles or more, with all the bad press that went beyond exclusives

sure thats fine when you consider phil came in and saved it plus one x etc but compared to the over 120 million ps sold thats a big loss. especially after xbox performed better than sony 95% of the 360/ps3 generation

now imagine if xbox had all the bad press it had right and then if they had a steady flow of great games the Entire generation I dont think it would be 120 million to 50 I think it would be closer because of the exclusive content

In the Xbox 360/ PS3 era both sold around 85million consoles. Funny how the sum always seems to be around 170m. Hopefully both can grow the total this time around.

I expect Xbox to land much closer this gen, especially when the ABK deal closes and Xbox gets all the COD marketing and Game Pass deals going 2024 onwards.

8 Likes

totally agree. Xbox is going to have a great gen. They already are. I think 2023 is going to be good for them and us

2 Likes