XboxEra Community Hangout |OT7| Define "AAAA"

Yes, of course. SE West was essentially nothing and I believe without them they can ask even higher price, considering how much of a money drain it was.

2 Likes

Eh, I saw a poll of what Xbox fans wanted to see more of on the platform and number 1 by a large margin was JRPGs. Square Enix is probably the biggest and best source of JRPGs Microsoft could want, with multiple major franchises that have strong appeal both in the West and Japan and a massive back catalogue that has been getting some fantastic remakes and remasters in recent years to keep it relevant. It’s also a lot of titles Xbox just doesn’t get at the moment because of Sony and Nintendo deals, it’d be a big get for the platform if Microsoft were to get it. So we’re not really losing much here, but it’s a lot of missed potential. IF the reports are correct that is.

This is the dream. Personally I couldn’t care less about Squenix now that they’ve sold off the studios and IP I cared about, and if Sony were to now scoop them up and thereby be unable to move on companies like Ubisoft or WB properties… Sign me up for this timeline, please.

6 Likes

You’re in!

2 Likes

Well no wonder japanese games don’t sell on Xbox :man_facepalming:

Sure, I’m definitely part of the “problem.” I don’t mind admitting I generally don’t care for Japanese games.

3 Likes

Yeah, I realize that it would hurt the JRPG effort for Xbox. Just saying it’s not a biggie if Sony picks them up or something, for me personally. Which might seem weird because I’m a big fan of Japanese games, but Square Enix just doesn’t do anything for me, aside from NieR. And Final Fantasy, but I’ve already lost all hope regardless.

Anyway, I ain’t buying any of these acquisition rumors. I don’t recall a single major acquisition rumor being accurate.

1 Like

Agreed. I said about a month ago that I wondered if maybe they’d revamp Gold into an all new Game Pass tier. I still think it would be a good idea.

Charge the same as Gold, and call it Game Pass Online. What you get is online multiplayer and xCloud. That’s it. You’re not able to install games. You’re not able to access PC Game Pass. And more importantly, there are no more Games With Gold.

It would expose people who are currently only Gold subscribers to the riches of the Game Pass library, possibly enticing them into upgrading. And it would also be a good tier to have available in preparation for the inevitable xCloud stick.

Square japan support for xbox is very hit and miss to say the least, while it would be a bit of a blow it’s far from the doom and gloom people will inevitably make it out to be

it will basically force MS to push even harder over there if they really do want to be relevant with fans/devs over there and keeps Sony away from much better publishers like Capcom

I agree that Capcom is better option than Square. It would just eviscerate Xbox of JPRGs once and for all basically. Though it would be interesting to see Switch and Sony dynamic there, considering that Nintendo does not like Sony that much.

But in Phil we trust. He knows what to do when necessary. Just like with Square Enix West - I think Microsoft and Xbox just decided not to buy them.

Yeah I do wonder if they did buy them if they’d just let them stay multiplat like Bungie, at least for Switch

Because Square isn’t saving PS in Japan, no Square games for switch over in Japan is a straight up death blow imo

Well, Square Enix will just die without Switch yes. Switch is fine without any publishers anyway :joy: They will sell another 20 maps for Mario Galaxy DLC and it will sell millions.

I did a post on the other topic but I don’t think SE would be as impactful as many would think.

When you look at the biggest Japanese games (not just JRPG) there’s other Japanese publishers who would be just as impactful.

Square Enix

• Final Fantasy
  • NieR / Drakengard
  • SaGa
  • Xenogears
  • Chrono
  • Star Ocean

Capcom

• Monster Hunter
  • Dragon’s Dogma
  • Mega Man
  • Breath of Fire
  • Resident Evil
  • Devil May Cry
  • Street Fighter

Konami

• Castlevania
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Momotaro Dentetsu
  • eBaseball Pro Yakyu
  • Suikoden
  • Yu-Gi-Oh

SEGA

• Persona
  • Bayonetta
  • Yakuza
  • Sakura Wars
  • Phantasy Star
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Sonic
  • Shin Megami Tensei
  • Puyo Puyo

Armor Project

• Dragon Quest

Bandai Namco

• Dragon Ball
  • Super Robot Wars
  • Xenosaga
  • Digimon
  • Tekken
  • Dead or Alive
  • Tales of Berseria/Arise
  • Dark Souls

Level 5

• Yo-Kai Watch
  • Inazuma Eleven

Nihon Falcon

• The Legend of Heroes
  • Trails
  • Ys

Koei Tecmo

• Nioh
  • Atelier
  • Samurai Warriors

Nippon

• Disgaea

Kadokawa

• Danganronpa (Spike Chunsoft)
  • Elden Ring? (Fromsoftware)
3 Likes

The full-stack, scalable quantum supercomputer Microsoft is building isn’t ready just yet — but the tech giant is already working with the government and other companies to prepare quantum-inspired algorithms to run on classic high-performance computers and, hopefully, pave the way for workloads of the future.

Oh sh1t! If Science fiction has teach me anything is that any quantum-stuff related experiments and creations have the possibility to end the world :open_mouth:

1 Like

Doesn’t Google already experiment with one?

IBM too according to that article.

We are closer to create Doctor Manhattan!!

1 Like

For me Capcom and SEGA… :green_heart::green_heart::green_heart:

1 Like

But it does sound like nothing is certain yet in terms of SE and Sony. But I hope they do get them, not much would change for Xbox. I mean those few games we randomly did get? Meh.

1 Like

Square does feel a shell of former self and I’m not saying it because of their western division selloff. I think the only good game they made this year was Triangle Strategy and that’s niche as it can get. It’s like late last gen and this have been really rocky.